What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dana Holgorsen - HC West Virginia

i think were rapidly moving towards an age where good defense means turnovers and defensive scores and not necessarily yards and points given up
At the end of the day, it's always come down to whether your team has more scoring drives than your opponent. Doesn't matter how you do it.

But, yeah, it appears that these modern offenses with the modern rules are pretty much impossible to hold under 30 points in a game. Game has changed. Defense is about forcing turnovers or negative plays (sacks & TFLs) that lead to stops. TOP and yards are becoming stats with little meaning.

At the end of the day, it's always come down to whether your team has more scoring drives than your opponent. Doesn't matter how you do it.

But, yeah, it appears that these modern offenses with the modern rules are pretty much impossible to hold under 30 points in a game. Game has changed. Defense is about forcing turnovers or negative plays (sacks & TFLs) that lead to stops. TOP and yards are becoming stats with little meaning.

this article tries to make the point you should look at the yards and points per drive rather than the total numbers, even for points

https://thebiglead.com/2018/11/20/t...ear-and-the-chiefs-played-the-rams-tough-too/

i am not sure how i feel about it myself, at the end of the day 2 thirds of the game are getting rendered somewhat meaningless, but the trend is clear .... probably

this article tries to make the point you should look at the yards and points per drive rather than the total numbers, even for points

https://thebiglead.com/2018/11/20/t...ear-and-the-chiefs-played-the-rams-tough-too/

i am not sure how i feel about it myself, at the end of the day 2 thirds of the game are getting rendered somewhat meaningless, but the trend is clear .... probably

Defense isn't rendered meaningless, it is just changed. A much higher value gets placed on guys who can make situation changing plays. Guys who can create turnovers, who can make plays for loss, who can put the opponent into situations were they can't dictate or use the full playbook.

Defense isn't rendered meaningless, it is just changed. A much higher value gets placed on guys who can make situation changing plays. Guys who can create turnovers, who can make plays for loss, who can put the opponent into situations were they can't dictate or use the full playbook.
Especially if facing an offense like I'm seeing from OU behind an OL that might be the best in the nation. You can't line up and stop that. You can't even slow that down much. All you can do is sell out to get some turnovers and maybe get some sacks that will let you gag out a stop to force a punt every so often.

Especially if facing an offense like I'm seeing from OU behind an OL that might be the best in the nation. You can't line up and stop that. You can't even slow that down much. All you can do is sell out to get some turnovers and maybe get some sacks that will let you gag out a stop to force a punt every so often.

Do you think if OU plays against Bama/Clemson, their offense is going to be good like this?

If Denver had an offense, they would be better than both the Chiefs and Rams. Denver allowed the fewest pts/pos for both of them.

I remain 99% convinced that Dana’s agent is using us for a big fat raise at WVU but I’m intrigued at the 1% chance that we might see him on the sidelines at Folsom next year. That offense is sick! And I’m excited if we are really fishing in deep waters.
I'm also intrigued about Lake as HC and poaching Spavital as OC. Maybe 5% chance of that. (Extra intriguing since Spavital recruited Kyler Murray at ATM.) Getting my hopes up either way.

First time I really watched WVU. That is some ugly FB. Play some D...that looks like crap.

First time I really watched WVU. That is some ugly FB. Play some D...that looks like crap.
Defensive coordinator is a problem at WVU. I'm not even talking scheme or play calls because Riley's offense can make anyone look bad on that stuff. But the tackling was bad and I saw some awful DB technique with guys getting turned around or not being sound in their assignments. You'd think those guys would get enough practice covering receivers going against their own offense, right? That was inexcusable.

Defensive coordinator is a problem at WVU. I'm not even talking scheme or play calls because Riley's offense can make anyone look bad on that stuff. But the tackling was bad and I saw some awful DB technique with guys getting turned around or not being sound in their assignments. You'd think those guys would get enough practice covering receivers going against their own offense, right? That was inexcusable.

Hmmm, I'd have to say I have grown weary of CU's DBs trailing the WR and NEVER looking back to find the ball, only to have the ball land nicely in the WR hands.

I’d like to see what DH could do w the talent we have on O. With our talent, only scoring 7 pts at home is unthinkable...gawd MMac/Chev suck!!!

The DC is a guy who has been at WVU forever and is attached to RichRod. He wouldn't be coming with Dana.

I did not like the football being played by WVU v OU last night. It definitely is not something I would like at CU, but I'm Old School.

And that's one reason we were frustrated by HCMM. He held onto failing coaches too long. Even if WVU's DC was not Holgorsen's man, a good head coach would make adjustments if the defense was that bad.

I don’t see why you can’t realistically build a program that has an offense that averages ~40 and a defense that gives up ~26. There’s some give and take with O vs D in that regard but if WVU had a DC worth a ****, they wouldn’t be in the position they are giving up 40+ every game.

Holgerson and a proven, $1m+ DC would be interesting.

I don’t see why you can’t realistically build a program that has an offense that averages ~40 and a defense that gives up ~26. There’s some give and take with O vs D in that regard but if WVU had a DC worth a ****, they wouldn’t be in the position they are giving up 40+ every game.

Holgerson and a proven, $1m+ DC would be interesting.
You just described West Virginia. They've only given up 40+ to Texas, OU, and OKST. They've played pretty well defensively otherwise.

You just described West Virginia. They've only given up 40+ to Texas, OU, and OKST. They've played pretty well defensively otherwise.
I went and read the WVU board on 247 last night. Found out they had 5 of their top 6 linebackers out with injury last night. Was a big reason for some of the breakdowns, like losing that slot receiver who got behind the ILBs against zone in the back of the end zone for example.

Fair enough, I hadn’t really looked. I think they are averaging giving up right around 26 ppg actually. Could CU find a DC to go with Holgerson who would improve that to say 20-23 ppg and bring those outliers down to 35-40, instead of 40-50?

Fair enough, I hadn’t really looked. I think they are averaging giving up right around 26 ppg actually. Could CU find a DC to go with Holgerson who would improve that to say 20-23 ppg and bring those outliers down to 35-40, instead of 40-50?
I've always been interested in how the Big 12 translates to the Pac-12. I'd assume Holgo's offense translates but would you see those defensive numbers improve or get worse? Wazzu is pretty good defensively at 23 ppg, but would they not give up those sort of numbers or worse in the Big 12? I wouldn't be mad if he brought over Gibson (hard to be mad in any world where Dana comes here but still) and we see how that works out, but I certainly wouldn't complain if we were willing to open the wallet for him and he felt the need to upgrade.

Holgo's WVU teams avg. 28 ppg given up on D (2013- 2018). CU over the same stretch averages 30. Objection withdrawn.

Back