What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deion Sanders - HC Jackson State

Yeah, there are dozens of incredibly dynamic icons who are coaching that will be able to go scorched earth on a roster and recruit from everywhere and turn things around instantly. Suuuure. Like, does that author thing the Trent Dilfer’s of the world can do what Coach Prime is doing? This is not a knock on Trent Dilfer, a media savvy pretty successful longtime NFL player making the jump to coaching. He isn’t Prime.
I'm trying to think of similar possibilities in Basketball or Football.

There's a little bit of overlap with Penny in Memphis.

Could Peyton pull it off in a similar way, but done with cheesy white dude shtick?

Shaq could probably do it if he was interested.

MJ can definitely do it in basketball. But he has 0 reason or interest to do it. I also doubt he would be a good coach :ROFLMAO:

MJ can definitely do it in basketball. But he has 0 reason or interest to do it. I also doubt he would be a good coach :ROFLMAO:
And that is really the X factor. Prime wants to be the best coach just like he wanted to be the best player. That fire burns hot. He can’t just go gamble on golf games or guffaw around on ESPN+. He fiends for the action and the recognition. His comments about Saban on 60 Minutes bore that out, that he sits as a student to glean knowledge when he’s around him.

MJ would be a terrible coach. His maniacal competitiveness only works when he is the alpha dog that is playing.

Magic was pretty bad, and he is not nearly as crazy that way as MJ is. Larry Bird was okay, but apparently he was miserable.

Magic was pretty bad, and he is not nearly as crazy that way as MJ is. Larry Bird was okay, but apparently he was miserable.
Magic was pretty crazy as a competitor. He just didn't cultivate his public image around it like MJ did. Dream Team practices. His coaching stint when he brought his LAL gang in to destroy his young team in a scrimmage when he was the coach. Magic and Bird, like MJ, were fvcking assassins who hated losing to the point where they couldn't handle being around anyone who hadn't passed their testing of their mettle.

Chauncey has been spending a lot of time with Coach Prime, observing how he runs the program. If things don't work out in the NBA I think Chauncey has the star power and now coaching experience to replicate some of what Coach Prime has done but for basketball. Chauncey should be able to out-recruit what you would expect of fill-in-the-blank next CU basketball coach.

Chauncey has been spending a lot of time with Coach Prime, observing how he runs the program. If things don't work out in the NBA I think Chauncey has the star power and now coaching experience to replicate some of what Coach Prime has done but for basketball. Chauncey should be able to out-recruit what you would expect of fill-in-the-blank next CU basketball coach.
I'd love Chauncey to take over when Tad's done. I don't think he's got a degree, though.

I'd love Chauncey to take over when Tad's done. I don't think he's got a degree, though.
Tad as AD. Chauncey as MBB coach. Prime as football coach.

Although I’d love to see coach prime as AD too. Imagine what he’d do to the rest of our sports.

MJ would be a terrible coach. His maniacal competitiveness only works when he is the alpha dog that is playing.
Agreed. This reminds me of when Wayne Gretzky tried to coach in the NHL. When he was asked why it didn’t work out he said something about the fact that he just saw the game so differently. The average NHLer was incapable of accomplishing the things he was asking them to do, so there was a huge disconnect.

Gretz had never viewed the game through the eyes of an average player before and couldn’t make the adjustment.

Agreed. This reminds me of when Wayne Gretzky tried to coach in the NHL. When he was asked why it didn’t work out he said something about the fact that he just saw the game so differently. The average NHLer was incapable of accomplishing the things he was asking them to do, so there was a huge disconnect.

Gretz had never viewed the game through the eyes of an average player before and couldn’t make the adjustment.
Makes me think of a thing I saw with Kobe. He was watching film and immediately recognized that the way the defender's foot was placed made it so he was vulnerable to a blow by on one side. Frustrated the offensive player didn't see it. That stuff along with that Joker/LBJ/Magic/Bird ability to recognize where everyone is within their field of vision and immediately extrapolate from that where everyone else must be... it's preternatural. Gretzky, Montana, Messi, other elites in their sports possess that. It's not something that can be coached and few who have it can coach up a group of guys who don't.

Makes me think of a thing I saw with Kobe. He was watching film and immediately recognized that the way the defender's foot was placed made it so he was vulnerable to a blow by on one side. Frustrated the offensive player didn't see it. That stuff along with that Joker/LBJ/Magic/Bird ability to recognize where everyone is within their field of vision and immediately extrapolate from that where everyone else must be... it's preternatural. Gretzky, Montana, Messi, other elites in their sports possess that. It's not something that can be coached and few who have it can coach up a group of guys who don't.

Yeah, I read an article that went into all-time great players and how they have generally been failures as head coaches.

It basically boiled to what you pointed out. They are built different and get frustrated when their players can't be successful the way they were. The only ones who can have success are the ones who are able to get past that disconnect.

Especially Tad. Dude is going to coach a bit longer and then go enjoy a nice life of doing nothing.
He deserves a good life doing nothing or whatever he wants in retirement. Just think the guy has been great for CU and would love to see him in an AD role.

A lot of the greats can do things that other players can't do on their best days, and they don't understand themselves how they do them, they just do.

It's really hard for them to adjust their expectations down to the level of what "normal" players can do. How do you explain guys like Payton Manning, Tom Brady, etc. knowing what guys are going to do on the field before those guys actually know what they are doing.

This in addition to the superior athletic abilities of guys like MJ or an Elway who combine the mental edge with physical skills that others can't explain.

Then one thing that all of those greats have that they can't understand others not having is the other world level competitiveness. The have a deep need to win every time, every situation be it their sport, golf, bowling, or cornhole.

When presented with a team full of guys who don't match these characteristics they can't adjust.

Yeah, I read an article that went into all-time great players and how they have generally been failures as head coaches.

It basically boiled to what you pointed out. They are built different and get frustrated when their players can't be successful the way they were. The only ones who can have success are the ones who are able to get past that disconnect.
my very favorite ever Brett Favre interview was one in which he said that after retirement, he wanted to "coach quarterback fundamentals"

Back