What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deion Sanders - HC Jackson State

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
It's a big jump from the SWAC to a P5 job, but if there's anyone in sports with whom you don't have to be concerned about the stage being too big or the spotlight too bright, it's Prime.

No question he punches way above his program weight in recruiting. No question he has charisma. No question he is a force of nature who inspires his sphere to have a culture of dominating every task in the moment.

The biggest complaint about Prime his entire career in sports - telling it like I see it here - is that he's "too black" and his brashness, outspokenness and new school attitude toward many things makes traditionalists (I.e., many white folks) very uncomfortable.

But what gets lost in this is that Deion is a lot more complex than perceptions a lot have people have formed. He's got a reputation for being an old school disciplinarian in how he sets expectations and standards for his coaches & players. On a personal level, he forms relationships you wouldn't expect with conservative white folks (google him with "my one black friend").

A lot of qualities which remind me of Bill McCartney with Deion Sanders. A personality which makes things happen through pure belief and force of will. Stack on top of that with Deion that he's an absolute student of his craft and, therefore, the coach he's modeled himself on is Nick Saban - while making it fit his "new school" attitudes and strong belief in having fun while working so hard. So, you get those Mac & Saban qualities while also getting local DJs playing for open practices.

I wrote this off in the beginning as fans dreaming. I also hadn't done my research, had some wrong perceptions, and thought that Deion wouldn't work in Boulder because I thought he was only about winning through overwhelming talent. He's so much more than that.

Deion is now on my "make him say no" very short list with Chris Petersen. Those are the 2 guys with very high floors and unlimited ceilings. (My next tier either give this type of floor or ceiling, but not both like these guys. I have little interest in candidates who don't give us extreme safety or extreme upside.)

1667669719911.jpeg
HC Record: 23-5

Last edited:
My number 1. Probably the highest ceiling of any coach out there, the one guy who’s ceiling is a National championship at CU. Especially if he stays for 5ish years. Bowden won natty’s at FSU by dominating a weak conference, could see Deion employing the same strategy before jumping to the NFL. Plus I think he’s a lot more available than we think. Seems like he wants to make the jump now and all of schools that have openings, save ASU, are too conservative(politically) to hire him.

Beggars can’t be choosers so if there was even a chance he’d entertain this job then sure why not. Bigger picture though with Deion, he’s in a zero pressure, everything to gain situation where they’re just happy to have him. What happens when he hits some adversity in a more difficult job (here or elsewhere)? I don’t question his drive, but also he doesn’t need this job - after his 3rd meeting with DiStephano about admissions and training table, or with tough boosters complaining he’s not winning fast enough at some other job, at what point does he say I don’t need this aggravation, I can make more money on tv anyway.

You really think Deion wouldn't be able to to handle Phil or CU's booster's? They would be putty in his hands. He ain't going back to tv. When you possess that kind of intellect you want to use it.

He’s always been my number 1 choice. Thought it might be a pipe dream, but at the very least I’m happy to see cu seemingly making an effort to pursue him. Now we pray.

My number 1. Probably the highest ceiling of any coach out there, the one guy who’s ceiling is a National championship at CU. Especially if he stays for 5ish years. Bowden won natty’s at FSU by dominating a weak conference, could see Deion employing the same strategy before jumping to the NFL. Plus I think he’s a lot more available than we think. Seems like he wants to make the jump now and all of schools that have openings, save ASU, are too conservative(politically) to hire him.
Prime has already said he doesn't want any part of coaching in the NFL.

You really think Deion wouldn't be able to to handle Phil or CU's booster's? They would be putty in his hands. He ain't going back to tv. When you possess that kind of intellect you want to use it.
I don’t question his ability to handle them, I question whether he would want to when TV can be exponentially more lucrative (and probably more fun).

Don’t think there’s any chance but fun to imagine the possibilities. Season ticket waiting list for Folsom?

One thing I wonder about with Deion jumping ship to coach a power 5 school is all the prior statements he’s made about elevating HBCUs - does he open himself to criticism by bailing on them or would the narrative be mission accomplished?

Don’t think there’s any chance but fun to imagine the possibilities. Season ticket waiting list for Folsom?

One thing I wonder about with Deion jumping ship to coach a power 5 school is all the prior statements he’s made about elevating HBCUs - does he open himself to criticism by bailing on them or would the narrative be mission accomplished?
He’s absolutely increased the spotlight on HBCUs and helped Jackson St get some nice facility upgrades. I would expect his P5 school to also figure out some scheduling agreement to play Jackson St or other HBCUs.

Last edited:
He’s absolutely increased the spotlight on HBCUs and helped Jackson St get some nice facility upgrades. I would expect his P5 school to also figure our some scheduling agreement to play Jackson St or other HBCUs.
Imagine if the Spring Game became a scrimmage against an FCS. I love that regardless if Deion's the coach. But with the P12 doing strategic partnerships with HBCUs, why not make it a SWAC team getting a spring payday?

He has been clear: when offered, he will take the right P5 job.

I think it would be an awesome hire and I think the boulder community is welcoming to everyone and anyone - that’s what makes it boulder. We would be beyond lucky to land him and I would go nuts with excitement if that happened.

He’s absolutely increased the spotlight on HBCUs and helped Jackson St get some nice facility upgrades. I would expect his P5 school to also figure our some scheduling agreement to play Jackson St or other HBCUs.
We could pull that off one would think after USC/UCLA leave. I don't see how the Pac doesn't drop to 8 conference games after that.

Deion is the only guy that could make CU immediately relevant on a national stage, including most current college coaches not named Nick Saban. Guy gets it in multiple levels. Kids love him. He's not going to accept a half ass commitment from the AD.

Not to mention, he likely brings Shedeur with him and solves our QB talent issues and maybe a couple other of the big name recruits from the past two years.

Deion is the only guy that could make CU immediately relevant on a national stage, including most current college coaches not named Nick Saban. Guy gets it in multiple levels. Kids love him. He's not going to accept a half ass commitment from the AD.

Not to mention, he likely brings Shedeur with him and solves our QB talent issues and maybe a couple other of the big name recruits from the past two years.
I’m still 50/50 on him. Does he WANT to be here for the long haul?

Hopefully but who cares? Todd was the CFO, he understands ****. Get him to stay for 3 years, if he leaves it’s because he turned around one of the worst programs in can. Hell, coaches are leaving the OU’s and ND’s.
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

On some level, CU makes sense for him. I don't think a blue blood will hire him from Jackson State. Unless he spends a few more years there and has tons of success.

He could jump to a school like CU for a few years. No expectations. He could probably get us to a bowl game solely by improving the talent on the roster. And looks like a genius - even if he can't coach. Not saying he can't coach - just a hypothetical.

At 55 years old, I don't write off the possibility of his next job being his last coaching job if he's happy and has things rolling.

I could also see him wanting to transition into an AD role as much as I could see him job hopping as HC. He's a guy who will follow his own passion to whatever challenge excites him.

At 55 years old, I don't write off the possibility of his next job being his last job if he's happy and has things rolling.
That's always possible. That's why you can't worry about that. If you can get him here, then absolutely do whatever it takes.

Back