What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Deshaun Watson.

BuffLuke80

Club Member
Club Member
What do you guys think about him as a professional? I've heard the McNabb comparison quite a bit and see some of it. I think he'll be really good if he fixes the turnover issue. He's got the tools, no doubt.

If I needed a QB and was in position to draft him, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger even if I was picking #1 overall.

He's got the body to hold up in the NFL. He's got the big arm you want. He's got good accuracy. And, most importantly, he's got "it" at the QB position which can't be taught or developed. I think he's going to be like Roethlisberger as a pro.

and he's smart enough and disciplined enough to graduate in 3 years. nothing but respect for Watson.

Helluva player. I would worry about his durability in the NFL, but he has the tools and the smarts.

Well, I would take that. Personally, I like his game and he's gonna get better too. Love his attitude and the "it" factor he possesses.

I'd hate for that to happen to him cause that organization is a mess. However, it's an honor to play in the NFL, sure he'd be willing to take it on.

If I needed a QB and was in position to draft him, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger even if I was picking #1 overall.

He's got the body to hold up in the NFL. He's got the big arm you want. He's got good accuracy. And, most importantly, he's got "it" at the QB position which can't be taught or developed. I think he's going to be like Roethlisberger as a pro.

Is this 2006 and we're talking about Vince Young?

Is this 2006 and we're taking about Vince Young?

A lot more is asked of Watson with his reads and the throws he makes. Also seems to be a very different guy on maturity level. Personality seems closer to a Mariota or Luck but with more style/flair.

I was listening to two different scouts today and neither was sold on him.

One claimed the 17 picks was a big flag as the good QBs rarely throw that many interceptions in college. He had several examples to back up what he was talking about but I don't want to try and type it out here.

The other also attacked his accuracy and said he is very good at getting a ball into an area but then needs someone to make a play on it for him (Williams) and that does not usually translate to the NFL.

I don't know what to think but being a Chicago fan we need to fix the QB position. I wouldn't be thrilled if they take him at 3 but I couldn't get mad either. But coming off of Cutler any QB that might have a tendency to throw picks scares me.

Williams is going to be a superstar in the NFL. That's the guy I want the Broncos to get it if they can. He's megatron junior.

Yeah Brady threw 17 picks in his career at Michigan. Watson threw 17 this year and 13 last year. And Brady is a bit of an outlier as there was not one scout who got him right which is why you never see him used as a comp.

I am not saying Watson won't make it but within the NFL he is not viewed as a sure thing. That was my only point.

Oh don't forget Dak Prescott either, he's turned out to be pretty damn good.

Okay. But if you are a scout and you see flaws in a QBs game that you don't like you are not going to draft them because some QBs overcame the odds or their perceived flaws. For every Brady and Prescott that beats the odds you have a dozen new QBs every year that are lucky to make it past game three in the preseason. Most times the scouts are right.

Yeah Brady threw 17 picks in his career at Michigan. Watson threw 17 this year and 13 last year. And Brady is a bit of an outlier as there was not one scout who got him right which is why you never see him used as a comp.

I am not saying Watson won't make it but within the NFL he is not viewed as a sure thing. That was my only point.

I agree. It's tough with NFL QB evaluation.

Some won't take a guy who is slightly built, no matter the talent. They see it as an inevitable physical breakdown. That's the Tony Eason/ Teddy Bridgewater camp.

Some won't take a guy unless he's got a cannon for an arm. I see this more with the teams in the northern states who have to deal with throwing through wind and other weather. Corollary to that being that the hand measurement has to be freakish so he can grip a slick ball in the cold or wet.

Some value accuracy over everything else. These are the scouts who will point to a Drew Brees or a Joe Montana and say that if you throw a catchable ball that goes exactly where it's supposed to go then that trumps everything else. On the flip side, they say that if you can't do that then none of the other stuff can make you successful.

Honestly, I'm mostly in that last camp. Marino is the prototype for that camp since he had elite accuracy to go along with being a big dude with a big arm who also made very quick decisions. I'm very skeptical when I hear that a QB needs work on his mechanics in order to improve his accuracy. I think it's something you either have or don't... and can't succeed if you don't.

But I don't see an accuracy issue with Watson. I saw some bad decisions on throws as he tried to do too much as what was causing his INT issues. I like his accuracy. Wasn't just easy throws in that Clemson offense, he was taking a beating with how much he ran and how defenses schemed, and he still consistently completed a little over 2/3s of his throws throughout his career.

Oh don't forget Dak Prescott either, he's turned out to be pretty damn good.

Dak's a good example. Another guy who has "it".

(And to bring it up again - Dan Mullen and his agent should be shot for being too dumb to get out of Starkville when Dak left.)

Back