What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Disappointed in Alfred Williams

I'm with most of you guys on that I've also done a 180 on Sandy although like Scotch said he does overanalyze, but much of that comes from him being very intelligent. I think he has always been annoyed by the lack of baseball and other non-Bronco talk even long before the Rockies came about.

Not a huge Sandy fan, I hate that he blabs over anyone who calls in. I also think he doesn't know nearly as much as most people on here claim.

However, as I said, I like that he is willing to talk about almost all the teams in the state, not just Broncos 24/7

Not a huge Sandy fan, I hate that he blabs over anyone who calls in. I also think he doesn't know nearly as much as most people on here claim.

However, as I said, I like that he is willing to talk about almost all the teams in the state, not just Broncos 24/7

Is Sandy that guy whose show is basically him talking for a few hours with occasional interruptions by callers that annoy the hell out of him if they want to take up much of his air time and/or have an opinion that differs from his gospel?

Sandy isn't nearly as obnoxious as he used to be.

He still can be, it's just that the rest of the clowns are so much worse than they used to be that he sounds better by comparison.

Sandy Clough, intelligent? Sure, just ask him.

Prolly never been a more self absorbed windbag on Denver radio in the history of Denver radio.

Prolly never been a more self absorbed windbag on Denver radio in the history of Denver radio.

Hey! When did this thread drift over to talking about Ron Zappolo?

True story: One Saturday I drove back to Denver after a game at Folsom and was stuck the whole way behind some jerk in a blue Mustang convertible, who kept checking and combing his hair in the rearview mirror every three minutes or so! I pulled up along side this ass clown at a stop light at the Iliff exit off 225 and found out it was Zappolo! Why drive a rag top, if your hair gets messed up? Total buffoon!

Clough is bright and well informed, and has a great memory for years, dates, and details of games. He does, however, talk over and shout down his callers. He misrepresents what they have said and hangs up on them. He'd be better off just conducting a three hour fillibuster.

I like it when Sandy argues and yells over people. Normally the guy talks at a rate of about 7 words a minute unless you get him fired up.

Last edited:
Sandy isn't nearly as obnoxious as he used to be.

This is true. Believe it or not, he was much worse years ago.

He still can be, it's just that the rest of the clowns are so much worse than they used to be that he sounds better by comparison.

This is true as well. Sports radio in Denver is generally horrific. Sandy is one of the few guys who seems to actually prepare and do some research before his show.

Remember Alan Berg?

I do. And you could also throw Mike Rosen into that mix. A completely self-absorbed windbag. I should have narrowed it down to sports guys. Clough has nothing on Mike Rosen in the race to the top of asshole mountain.

You must have hated Howard Cosell. Sandy is Cosell-Lite, radio-version, without the self-aggrandizing.

And I don't think he's self absorbed so much as he is merely enmeshed with his solo format. You can't talk for three hours, by yourself, for decades without being somewhat entertained by the sound of your own voice. Sandy does have a tendency (it has lessened over time) of deciding that a caller has no point and cuts him off, then has a one-sided argument about the issue. The people calling in know this. But Sandy also stops and recognizes callers who have salient points to discuss.

For anyone who doesn't like Sandy, the alternative is your everyday D-Mac, and there are a million of him out there. And a D-Mac will replace Sandy when he retires because that's all that this sports media culture/business can produce anymore.

You must have hated Howard Cosell. Sandy is Cosell-Lite, radio-version, without the self-aggrandizing.

And I don't think he's self absorbed so much as he is merely enmeshed with his solo format. You can't talk for three hours, by yourself, for decades without being somewhat entertained by the sound of your own voice. Sandy does have a tendency (it has lessened over time) of deciding that a caller has no point and cuts him off, then has a one-sided argument about the issue. The people calling in know this. But Sandy also stops and recognizes callers who have salient points to discuss.

For anyone who doesn't like Sandy, the alternative is your everyday D-Mac, and there are a million of him out there. And a D-Mac will replace Sandy when he retires because that's all that this sports media culture/business can produce anymore.

Cosell could get on your nerves, but the guy was a straight sports maniac. Dude never bothered me. I loved the sound of his voice. Yeah, he took himself way too seriously, but I always got the impression that he could laugh at himself at the same time. Sandy Clough would have a hard time laughing at himself, IMO.

The alternative for me is to simply not listen to sports talk. I find it incredibly irritating. I get 10 minutes a day from Dave Logan/Dave Krieger.

Back