What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we fire Mac?

"Coach Macintyre, my man big Mac. You had a great season and we truly appreciate the job you've done helping to turn this program around. However you did kind of suck prior to this season and we're still not 100% certain that you're the right person for the job long term. We're not one of the wealthier athletic programs in the country and I'd prefer what money we do have go towards the well being of our fans and our fine student athletes rather then a millionaire's buyout. As such, I don't feel comfortable throwing around $16.25 million fully guaranteed unless I'm sure the money is going to the right place. As a coach with a propensity for playing it conservative and often making questionable decisions to punt I hope you can understand my attitude being risk-averse.

Now we don't wan't you in lame-duck contract status and you certainly deserve some reward for the job you've done so we're going to extend your contract by one year and bump up your salary by a few hundred thousand for this year and next. Should you have another good season next year you have my word that you'll get a bigger and better contract extension in the offseason. I would also be willing to do a long-term deal right now if you'd like, but only if a fraction of the money is guaranteed. What's that? You're not happy about this? Ok well have fun at Baylor in that case, I hear Waco is lovely and the players on the team are all upstanding citizens. Oh they didn't actually offer you their job and no one else has either? That's too bad. What's that? You're just going to leave next year instead? Well you'll have to have a good season in order for that to be a possibility. Plus if that does happen I think you'd probably leave anyways even if I gave you a long term deal right now, so why should I take the risk?

But anyways go out and prove that last season wasn't a fluke. And while I have you here also please learn how to recruit, stop having convulsing temper tantrums on national tv, learn to get along with your assistants especially the ones to whom much of your success can be attributed, stop hiring sucky coaches (Toby Neinas, really?) or even if you can't help it at least learn how to fire them, again learn how to recruit, learn that domestic violence is a serious issue and should be treated as such, try to deal with fans and the media in a manner which is less terse and narcissistic, and finally get a haircut or at the very least find something better then those dorky bucket hats to cover it up. Now get the f*ck out of my office and go buffs!"
TL/DNR

However you did kind of suck prior to this season and we're still not 100% certain that you're the right person for the job long term.

Accept every football pundit in the country saw dramatic improvement from day 1, and that is just a rewrite of history to fit your agenda.
All of the statistics and analytics support that Colorado was making big strides during those "suck" years.

Accept every football pundit in the country saw dramatic improvement from day 1, and that is just a rewrite of history to fit your agenda.
All of the statistics and analytics support that Colorado was making big strides during those "suck" years.

He still has 2 whopping winning seasons as a HC at san jose st and here. He doesn't put much stock in recruiting, sounds like better days ahead!

It must be nice to indulge in alpha male fantasies.

Your solution is basically to DEMAND the party with the most leverage to bend their will.:ROFLMAO:

What leverage did he have exactly? He didn't have anyone else offering him a job.

Participation trophies! Yay!

You're using his previous 2-25 conference record as part of the justification for giving him $16.25 million? Really?

You're going to go back to that coach and tell him he has to prove it even more? Not a good look, and not a good message you send to other coaching candidates.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have rewarded him at all, just that maybe we didn't have to give $16.25 million fully guaranteed? Isn't there a middle ground?

Last edited:
Holic gonna holic. Of course the biggest gains come from the bottom. We're still below average, and it looks like we are staying here for the foreseeable future. Still think the **** recruiting is acceptable?

Really, every one saw this and commented on it?

The team got better, no doubt. However, the goal is to win, not just get close to winning. 2016 was a grand season. MikMac should get his due credit, and the extension was warranted. But MikMac did what apparently no other COY winner has done. **** the bed. No bowl and a losing season. We are in uncharted territory.

I asked this before in this thread, I think it bears repeating:

5 years in, 4 last place P12S finishes, one first place finish in the P12S.

One bowl, One blowout loss.

One CCG, One blowout loss.

25-38 overall. (.396)

12-33 in conference. (.266)

The answer is pretty obvious.

Can you name another P5 team with that kind of 5 year performance that isn't a perennial laughingstock?

Go.

MikMac is only here now because his salary/buyout, that's it.

The drubbing by UW and OSU aren't a good look - but can be explained a couple of ways when you're evaluating it at the time. 1) Injuries 2) Team not ready for the spotlight 3) Leavitt/Tumpkin situation

As for the head-butting between he and Leavitt.... that **** happens, and Mac hired Leavitt in the first place. And who knows what Mac is saying in regards to recruiting - but the class last year looked like a huge step forward, so maybe RG figured recruiting was shaping up as well.

The P5 staff stuff is true and would have given me pause... but you let Mac do it his way and he got you to the P12 championship game... how much of that are you going to question?
You forgot the self-congratulatory tour MMac took after winning COY. ****er should have been focusing on the bowl.

What leverage did he have exactly? He didn't have anyone else offering him a job.

Participation trophies! Yay!

You're using his previous 2-25 conference record as part of the justification for giving him $16.25 million? Really?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have rewarded him at all, just that maybe we didn't have to give $16.25 million fully guaranteed? Isn't there a middle ground?

If you have not noticed, the coaching carousel is a **** show. Demand dramatically outpaces supply when it comes to college football coaches.

A coach coming off a 10-win season always has the leverage.

The drubbing by UW and OSU aren't a good look - but can be explained a couple of ways when you're evaluating it at the time. 1) Injuries 2) Team not ready for the spotlight 3) Leavitt/Tumpkin situation

As for the head-butting between he and Leavitt.... that **** happens, and Mac hired Leavitt in the first place. And who knows what Mac is saying in regards to recruiting - but the class last year looked like a huge step forward, so maybe RG figured recruiting was shaping up as well.

The P5 staff stuff is true and would have given me pause... but you let Mac do it his way and he got you to the P12 championship game... how much of that are you going to question?

I think you need to add 4) MM being gone for a bunch of time to accept awards.

Ok hypotheticalls.

Any guess to how this would have played out if RG not to extend MM and waited to see how this year played out?

If RG had not extended MM would he have fired him after this past season?

Ok hypotheticalls.

Any guess to how this would have played out if RG not to extend MM and waited to see how this year played out?

He'd be on his last year in 2018, so I think he'd have to either fire him or extend him in that scenario. Honestly don't think that scenario works in the real world anyways.

Ok hypotheticalls.

If RG had not extended MM last year, MM would be coaching a different team this year. Dude would have been hired in a heartbeat, and paid handsomely, following the "turn around" season last year.

Complete and utter speculation. Just people wanting Mac gone. He didn’t go full Jumbo and stop recruiting entirety.
That's unequivocally false and I'm not sure anyone suggested he went full Jimbo. Saying it's all speculation is no different than saying it's all true, people have certainly speculated on things, that does not mean much of it is not derived from trustworthy reports.

Back