What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do you like Tad's "2 fouls & you sit" rule for the 1st half?

Do you like Tad's "2 fouls & you sit" rule for the 1st half?

• Yes - promotes discipline & saves players for 2nd half

• No - too rigid & causes players with 1 foul to play soft in 1st half

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I don't like it.

I think it's fine as a rule on a player by player basis. Makes sense to me with a guy like Tory, for example, where there's been an emphasis on him learning to play without fouling. Made some sense for Dom, too. But even with that there are times when it's good to let them stay on the court and have to continue playing while avoiding foul trouble.

But as a general rule, I want guys to continue playing and to see foul situations managed by shortening the player's minutes per rotation until he gets back on schedule.

It's pretty common to sit a kid after 2 fouls in the first half. On the flip side of playing soft; you have some kids that are too keyed up and need to sit to settle down. I also think you want as much flexibility in the 2nd half as possible; more so than the 1st half. If you have a guy (or two) in foul trouble at the start of the 2nd, it limits your halftime adjustments.

JMO.

Voted no. But I think it depends a lot on team depth, who the player is, the score at the time, etc. So my “no” vote is because I don’t think it should be automatic but it may be a valid strategy to sit a kid in a lot of situations.

Young team that hasn't developed discipline yet it makes sense.

Some players have an awareness and can play with two fouls, most young guys can't. Some actually start to worry about it and end up doing dumb things and picking up a cheap third.

Also need to remember that we play in the PAC with officials prone to calling phantom fouls.

Not an uncommon practice.

I don't like putting a damper on aggressiveness, but considering a players experience, ref's mood, road/home game, and skill level of the opponent, it's seems like a good move.

Notice that when the UNC players got into foul trouble, the Buffs were able to increase the lead? I voted YES so that the Buffs can be aggressive in the 2H especially at home.

Hard & fast rules can be exploited.

May make sense versus lesser opponents early in the season as a teaching lesson. Hard Fast Rule, though? No.

In theory, it’s a solid strategy. In reality, there are times when it’s probably not the best idea.

Hard & fast rules can be exploited.

May make sense versus lesser opponents early in the season as a teaching lesson. Hard Fast Rule, though? No.

This. The opponents can try to challenge a particular player or try to set match ups.

Dislike it as a hard and fast rule. Do like it as a general policy. There are times when it needs to be ignored. There was a time or two last year when Tad ignored his "rule" with Derek.

Voted no. Can make kids think too much and be too timid. For some reason 3 seems better to me.

Whats your thoughts on playing with 4?
If you sit them its like they fouled out already and you dont get any production.
Maybe go zone and try to hide them defensively for a few minutes so still available on the offensive end.

Whats your thoughts on playing with 4?
If you sit them its like they fouled out already and you dont get any production.
Maybe go zone and try to hide them defensively for a few minutes so still available on the offensive end.
I doubt we'll see much zone this year with such a young team. Tad will likely want them to be nails in his base defense before he allows them to build upon it with some additional wrinkles. I think the closest thing to a zone will be our 3/4 court press.

But if McKinley gets in foul trouble, I see Buffs struggle while he is on the bench.
Need him on the floor especially in the close games.
The first couple were not very close with plays needing to be made late (crunch time).
Hopefully they continue to win but get tested along the way.

This early in season with young team I like it because he has to go deep on the bench and get everyone some minutes. I don't think guys will play timid for fear of being pulled as they will know they will get their time in 2nd half as we will need those players down the stretch. Hell tonight they had 5 personal foul's before they had as many points so guys needed to sit.

Back