What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Doug Gottlieb is a ****tard

I think he's pissy because I asked him what his arguments were.

Here's mine...
  1. Arizona - Not sure there's much argument here. Great recruiting. Great fanbase (from a attendance perspective) that makes the McKale Center very, very tough to win at. National title contending team.
  2. UCLA - Their name along means they will always recruit at a very high level. Their fanbase knocks them down from #1 though
  3. Oregon - Nike money and the Oregon brand makes Oregon a desirable place for a recruit
  4. Colorado - Very good coach, very good facilities facilities and growing and already great fanbase with a lot of passionate fans that make The Keg a tough place to win at which every coach would love. With the increasing talent in Colorado every year this is what puts CU over Utah
  5. Utah - Very good coach in a program that has proved it can be at the top not to long ago. As I said above, the only reason I rank us higher is because of the in-state talent pool that is growing
  6. Washington
  7. Arizona State
  8. Stanford
  9. Cal
  10. USC
  11. Oregon State
  12. Washington State

Cal is so low because of their AD issues

I'd have Stanford much higher on that list and above CU. Top notch school, deep pockets, good facilities, have been to the final four in our lifetime.

I'd have Stanford much higher on that list and above CU. Top notch school, deep pockets, good facilities, have been to the final four in our lifetime.
With how hard it is to get qualified athletes into Stanford I moved them down. I'm not really sure the deep pockets at Furd matter much, most fans don't seem to give a **** about football or basketball.

Seems to be a huge obsession with what schools have done historically. Butler, George Mason, Wichita st, and VCU didn't need any of that to get to the final 4. What happened >5 yrs ago means nothing to HS kids, hence CU football. Losing Boyle would really hurt & all bets would be off but this program is more attractive than its ever been.

Are Furd's basketball facilities really good? Maples was renovated like a decade ago, but only holds 7k (by far the smallest in the Pac, which is appropriate given Furd's lack of support). Of course, being small doesn't always mean bad as we've seen with Cameron, but Maples looks so dead on tv.

Are Furd's basketball facilities really good? Maples was renovated like a decade ago, but only holds 7k (by far the smallest in the Pac, which is appropriate given Furd's lack of support). Of course, being small doesn't always mean bad as we've seen with Cameron, but Maples looks so dead on tv.

When they're good Maples is a nice place to watch a game. It's not big, but still a good venue IMO.

With how hard it is to get qualified athletes into Stanford I moved them down. I'm not really sure the deep pockets at Furd matter much, most fans don't seem to give a **** about football or basketball.

Deep pockets can pay up for a coach, so it definitely matters when talking about how good a job it is. If you're good, you'll be taken care of.

Deep pockets can pay up for a coach, so it definitely matters when talking about how good a job it is. If you're good, you'll be taken care of.
I'm just not convinced that their deep pocket alumni give enough ****s about sports

I'm just not convinced that their deep pocket alumni give enough ****s about sports

You'd be wrong. John Arillaga helped bankroll their stadium renovation (which they completed in a single offseason - not cheap), and the now infamous $70k bathroom in Harbaugh's office when he was there. He's made multiple 9-figure donations to the school, with plenty going to athletics.

My first comment on Gottlieb is always the guy sounds like Joe Pesci in Lethal Weapon on the radio, "ok,ok,ok,ok" ...... UUGGHH !!
Second I am quite sure he received the mandatory Stillwater partial lobotomy so I take anything he says with a grain of salt

If Tad wasn't here, where would we be? Probably around 9th in the league. He's not that wrong. He's being a dick about it, but the fact remains that this isn't a destination job for any basketball coach OTHER than Tad Boyle. We're lucky that he's as good as he is.

WRONG! All due respect to Tad, but he's shown that CU is a good destination job: Top conference; good academics; new BB facilities; good fan support; top local players willing to stay home (entire Front Range, not just Denver); good support from the Admin.($$$) Boulder as a great place to live (start with coaches' wives, then think how many recruits are surprised and still don't get that Boulder is only a few minutes from a major metropolitan area and not some isolated, rinky-dink mountain burg like Boise or gawd-forsaken hole like Pullman, Stillwater, Manhattan, KS or Ames, IA----or even Tucson!) i.e. you can recruit excellent Western/SoCal/Tx talent to Boulder.

CU could certainly secure an excellent head coach should Tad leave or when he retires. He's certainly part of, but not the only reason the job is now choice.

Bzdelik gets credit for the practice facility...but Boyle changed the culture and got the good instate kids to stay...that is what makes the program better.

Matt Boldin, Nick Fazekas, Reggie Jackson - recent failures that you have to think Boyle would have gone hard after to put on the CU jersey.

You'd be wrong. John Arillaga helped bankroll their stadium renovation (which they completed in a single offseason - not cheap), and the now infamous $70k bathroom in Harbaugh's office when he was there. He's made multiple 9-figure donations to the school, with plenty going to athletics.
**** you shoulda said that from the start :lol:

So there's potential, just like in football but I think it would take a lot of luck to make it a really attractive job and one that is more attractive than us or Utah.

CU is still a newcomer to the discussion of western hoops and hasn't really broken through on the national stage yet. After a few more years from Tad like the last 3 with at least one Sweet 16 or farther run added to the resume and Pac-12 regular season performances that get CU out of the "muck" and clearly into the top tier of the standings... and we start seeing year-to-year selling out of season tickets with accompanying price increases and parking fees to get program revenue up where it should be... then we can start talking about CU as a destination job.

Stanford is a great school with tremendously high academic standards. They are also a private school which means that outside of NCAA regulations they can and do admit anyone who they think will help them.

They still aren't admitting idiots but if a kid can help them win they are willing to bring them in and provide them with the "academic support" needed to keep them in school.

Stanford is a great school with tremendously high academic standards. They are also a private school which means that outside of NCAA regulations they can and do admit anyone who they think will help them.

They still aren't admitting idiots but if a kid can help them win they are willing to bring them in and provide them with the "academic support" needed to keep them in school.

Stanford has the option of behaving like you say, but in practice they are actually maintaining a higher entrance standard for athletes than other Pac-12 schools.

USC, on the other hand...

**** you shoulda said that from the start :lol:

So there's potential, just like in football but I think it would take a lot of luck to make it a really attractive job and one that is more attractive than us or Utah.

I love your optimism and unabashed homer-ism, but c'mon, dude. Name me a single Stanford head basketball coach in the last 20 years that would have chosen CU or Utah over Stanford. You can't, because that mythical person does not exist.

CU is still a newcomer to the discussion of western hoops and hasn't really broken through on the national stage yet. After a few more years from Tad like the last 3 with at least one Sweet 16 or farther run added to the resume and Pac-12 regular season performances that get CU out of the "muck" and clearly into the top tier of the standings... and we start seeing year-to-year selling out of season tickets with accompanying price increases and parking fees to get program revenue up where it should be... then we can start talking about CU as a destination job.
Considering the complaining from the modest increase in prices this past offseason, I can only imagine what happens when they start charging for parking.

There's very few true "destination jobs" as in the bluebloods and at that point, you're dealing with the pros in many cases. CU is already a much more desirable job than it was 5 years ago, but yes I believe it could become even better.

I love your optimism and unabashed homer-ism, but c'mon, dude. Name me a single Stanford head basketball coach in the last 20 years that would have chosen CU or Utah over Stanford. You can't, because that mythical person does not exist.

In the last 20 years? When Utah was rolling, they might have been a higher draw than Stanford for coaches.

I'd bet that CU today would be a more attractive choice than Stanford. If this was three or four years ago it'd be flipped. Was Baylor a attractive job a few years ago? No but Briles and actions their AD have taken have taken a big step in making it a more attractive job. 20 years ago, or even 5 years ago isn't all that relevant and the CU basketball brand has taken a huge step under Boyle. The key would be to continue the momentum with a good hire and not like what we saw with Skippy. M

The current coach does not make the school more attractive for other coaches, though.

CU has solid facilities, a decent fan base, reasonably good admin support, and reasonably good local talent to pull from. That's all true, but if Tad were to leave, we'd see just how attractive this job really is. We'd be looking at hiring a coach at a mid-major somewhere. Cal just hired a coach that was in the sweet 16 at a BCS conference. That should tell you something.

Let's not fall into the trap where we all think college basketball was invented in 2010. UA, UCLA, USC, UO, Furd, Cal and UW would all be considered better jobs than CU. And before somebody gets all over me about including USC in that list, consider the fact that they could field an entire team of legit D-1 players from within a 25 mile radius of their campus. If they had been worth a damn, they could have had Dinwiddie, XJ and 'Ski on their team, not ours. It's a private school that can pay whatever it wants and doesn't answer to any legislature.

I'd bet that CU today would be a more attractive choice than Stanford. If this was three or four years ago it'd be flipped. Was Baylor a attractive job a few years ago? No but Briles and actions their AD have taken have taken a big step in making it a more attractive job. 20 years ago, or even 5 years ago isn't all that relevant and the CU basketball brand has taken a huge step under Boyle. The key would be to continue the momentum with a good hire and not like what we saw with Skippy. M

It definitely can be cyclical, Stanford football went through their Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris down years and even the Harbaugh hire was thought to be kind of a reach at first. Stanford's big advantage is that a lot of the things you can't easily change about a University (location, wealthy alumni, academic prestige, robust athletic department, University support) are all in place. It's why they can go from being a joke in college football to a national power relatively quickly. These are all advantages for a basketball program too.

I can definitely understand why people can argue that CU is a better job than Stanford today, but if you were an outsider looking in you might wonder how much CU's recent success is the result of a very good coaching hire as opposed to it suddenly evolving into a place where you can win consistently.

They do.

Look at the football program, Arrillaga got sick of them sucking so he basically paid to rebuild the entire football stadium and gave Harbaugh and gives Shaw anything they need. He spent 150k to move the bathroom the coaches used up 2 floors and next to their offices to save them 20 minutes a day.

The current coach does not make the school more attractive for other coaches, though.

CU has solid facilities, a decent fan base, reasonably good admin support, and reasonably good local talent to pull from. That's all true, but if Tad were to leave, we'd see just how attractive this job really is. We'd be looking at hiring a coach at a mid-major somewhere. Cal just hired a coach that was in the sweet 16 at a BCS conference. That should tell you something.

Let's not fall into the trap where we all think college basketball was invented in 2010. UA, UCLA, USC, UO, Furd, Cal and UW would all be considered better jobs than CU. And before somebody gets all over me about including USC in that list, consider the fact that they could field an entire team of legit D-1 players from within a 25 mile radius of their campus. If they had been worth a damn, they could have had Dinwiddie, XJ and 'Ski on their team, not ours. It's a private school that can pay whatever it wants and doesn't answer to any legislature.
I think the current coach does somewhat. Most coaches don't want to go through a total rebuild. And because of Tad's success, a new coach could build on it.

I agree with you with SC on the potential being there between the recruiting base and facilities.

In the last 20 years? When Utah was rolling, they might have been a higher draw than Stanford for coaches.

Utah is wildly underrated as a job, they have rabid fans, a huge arena, history, admin support. Cville noted it but you can make arguments either way for jobs 4-10

I view Tad as CU's version of Rick Majerus. Once he's gone, we will be in big trouble. I can't bring myself to ever quite view Utah as anything other than a souped-up WAC program. Don't get me wrong - it's a good program, but it still feels like a WAC program to me.

Back