What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Doug Gottlieb is a ****tard

Stanford has the option of behaving like you say, but in practice they are actually maintaining a higher entrance standard for athletes than other Pac-12 schools.

USC, on the other hand...

I know for a fact that a couple years before Monty left Furd he went to the admin and basically said if you want to do anything more than just get to the tournament on a consistent basis you are going to need to loosen up the admissions for a few select players. In that specific season 1 of the top 200 players in the country was goign to survive admissions. They basically said - you are already doing pretty well with our current standards we don't believe you, sorry. A couple years later he left.

I view Tad as CU's version of Rick Majerus. Once he's gone, we will be in big trouble. I can't bring myself to ever quite view Utah as anything other than a souped-up WAC program. Don't get me wrong - it's a good program, but it still feels like a WAC program to me.

You're seriously comparing Utah - a team with Final Four history and that will be in the top 25 at times next year - to the Grand Canyon Antelopes? Or the New Mexico State Aggies?

I view Tad as CU's version of Rick Majerus. Once he's gone, we will be in big trouble. I can't bring myself to ever quite view Utah as anything other than a souped-up WAC program. Don't get me wrong - it's a good program, but it still feels like a WAC program to me.

NO - 13 losing seasons in 70 years, 6 of those since Majerus left and they managed to continue to draw over 8k fans during this struggle the last 9/10 years. They're a great program.

You're seriously comparing Utah - a team with Final Four history and that will be in the top 25 at times next year - to the Grand Canyon Antelopes? Or the New Mexico State Aggies?

No. More like New Mexico, UNLV and BYU. Solid programs, for sure, but not great.

Oh, STFU. Yes they are. WAC = MWC. It's all the same. Jeez.

No, it's really not. This isn't football. The MWC isn't a redheaded stepchild conference. They're a legit conference. Odds are that SDSU will be ranked higher in the pre-season polls than anyone in the P12 not named Arizona.

NO - 13 losing seasons in 70 years, 6 of those since Majerus left and they managed to continue to draw over 8k fans during this struggle the last 9/10 years. They're a great program.

I can tell you form working with Adam and other Pac-12 people that the #2 digital fanbase in this conference without a doubt is Utah.

The current coach does not make the school more attractive for other coaches, though.

CU has solid facilities, a decent fan base, reasonably good admin support, and reasonably good local talent to pull from. That's all true, but if Tad were to leave, we'd see just how attractive this job really is. We'd be looking at hiring a coach at a mid-major somewhere. Cal just hired a coach that was in the sweet 16 at a BCS conference. That should tell you something.

Let's not fall into the trap where we all think college basketball was invented in 2010. UA, UCLA, USC, UO, Furd, Cal and UW would all be considered better jobs than CU. And before somebody gets all over me about including USC in that list, consider the fact that they could field an entire team of legit D-1 players from within a 25 mile radius of their campus. If they had been worth a damn, they could have had Dinwiddie, XJ and 'Ski on their team, not ours. It's a private school that can pay whatever it wants and doesn't answer to any legislature.
How does the current coach not make the destination attractive if the coach is having success and has a lot of talent in the program? A prospective coach would see a opportunity to come in and win right away. I'm not pretending that college bball started in 2010, but your idea that the value of CU's job hasn't decreased dramatically since Tad came here is weird. If we're a decent fanbase, then who other than the *********** have a better fan base? We lead the country in attendance growth a few years ago and had the 2nd highest attendance average in the Pac 12.

I also think you're looking way too much into the Cal hire. One, Martin was not liked by UT fans and did not have a very successful regular season in a weak SEC sans UK and UF. UT was extremely fortunate to make the Sweet 16 and it took them winning a play-in game and a fortunate draw (UMass then Mercer, CU would have had a excellent chance with that draw). Second, since when is Martin a big name and a bigger name than Tad? Was CU before McCartney a attractive job? Was it a attractive job after he left? No and then yes, but the admin did not take advantage of that. TCU and Baylor are both attractive jobs now in football that weren't not too long ago. CU has shown that when it invests in a program it'll be a top 25 basketball team, and that's always going to be a major positive for a head coach.

I can tell you form working with Adam and other Pac-12 people that the #2 digital fanbase in this conference without a doubt is Utah.

Any time the Pac12 Facebook posts anything (for instance, about Washington softball) it's a barrage of "BEAR DOWN" with a sprinkling of "UTES!!" And "Go Ducks!" in the comment section.

Back