What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Effect on PSU football?

I haven't gotten the feeling from PSU and their faithful that they care about the fact that they developed a culture of winning at the cost of molesting children for at least 15 years and probably longer. This massive conspiracy should be enough to completely tear apart PSU. I hope it takes the entire school down. But it won't. They are only concerned with their school and their football team.

But again, think of the slippery slope. Recruits have a say in this. If they shy away--and I think they will-- the team will have less success and that lack of success will beget less success.

May I direct you to the University of Colorado as an example. I get the part where Penn State has a more passionate (read as "delusional") fanbase, but recruits still get a vote. Would you send your kid there? There will be a stigma.

But again, think of the slippery slope. Recruits have a say in this. If they shy away--and I think they will-- the team will have less success and that lack of success will beget less success.

May I direct you to the University of Colorado as an example. I get the part where Penn State has a more passionate (read as "delusional") fanbase, but recruits still get a vote. Would you send your kid there? There will be a stigma.
Maybe but if it's urban Meyer and a 100% new staff, maybe not.

It'll hurt them this year. But, yeah, if an Urban Meyer signed up, then they could stay on the horse. But, OTOH, they could have a very tough time signing a big name. UM has his pick. Why subject yourself to this PSU crap? Why try to replace a (tainted) legend?

I understand my post may have been harsh, but I am just extremely upset about this whole thing. In my view that entire institution is culpable in this thing. When something like this is going on for 15 years or more, then there are a lot of people that know about it and look the other way. Admittedly I am probably not following this thing close enough, but it seems to me PSU's primary concern is itself. Disgusting.

This scandal at Penn State University has shades of another recent scandal that involves boys being sexually assaulted by powerful men associated with an institution with passionate followers.

The legal proceedings will drag on for years. The scandal at one parish...err...program has the risk of spreading to others, as more victims are encouraged to step forward in the environment created by the media frenzy.

The NCAA and BCS leadership will adopt the role of bumbling but well meaning pope that is trying to maintain the tradition, pageantry, wealth and power.

But reformation not only of Penn State, but also of college football has just been accelerated.

This will be the legacy of joepa.

Maybe but if it's urban Meyer and a 100% new staff, maybe not.

For some reason the thought of Meyer or another big name taking over turns my stomach; in comes a white night to make sure the program does not skip a beat. Not that I relish in the suffering of another fan base (given what we went through) but if it's business as usual in Happy Valley on the gridiron something is terribly wrong.

In direct contradiction to the OP's incorrect opening assumptions, there are numerous articles talking about the PR debacle at PSU, including PHILLY COM's. Or check out the PSU daily, The Collegian, which broke the story about the PA Senators withdrawing the Paterno nomination for the Presidential Medal Of Freedom. As well as stories about Second Mile staffers talking to the FBI about "missing children over recent years".

Penn State's got every Ohio newspaper so happy to rip it to shreds. Every Detroit, Chicago paper. Every NY paper. Plus, you've got Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and 3-Mile-Island-State-Capitol Harrisburg, all of which love to prove THEY are the best, deserving the most revenue, etc, tearing at any carcass that's laid out for them. And those are all contributors to the flotsam that pour into State College gameday weekends, happy to use Sandusky's Second Mile pimping services.

CU has - uh - Denver vs Boulder?

Well, for someone who's man-love and total support for All Things Hawkins showed itself for what it really is, the original premise of this thread continues that long stream of an uninformed touch. Like Sandusky's auto-bio. Gee - a coincidence?

I'd like to see PSU's football program negatively impacted for a long time because of this, but I think I'm in the minority in thinking that it will have little impact on the football program.

I have a feeling they'll be able to bring in a high profile coach, will find a good AD, will have fans that stick with them, ... Unlike other scandals, this one won't cost scholarships, it won't involve restrictions (well, other than no touching of boys -- too soon?), and it's a high profile school with historically huge fan support. The down period I'd see PSU having in football is just the usual period of transition for 1-3 years when a major coaching staff overhaul occurs (I don't see how more than 1-2 current coaches at PSU stay on next year, I'd expect a house cleaning and I'd expect current coaches to want to get away).

Hope I'm wrong, 'cause I'd love to see them hurt for a long, long, long time, but I think they'll come through just fine in regards to their football program.

One thing mentioned in another thread earlier, that a lot of people seem to be missing, is that there won't be any "big payday" from civil actions against Pedo State. PSU is a state (i.e. gov't) institution. While the gov't is generally fine with private citizens suing each other for absurd amounts of money, they limit the civil liabilities in cases against the gov. I don't know what Penn's limit is, but it would not be surprising if it was in the $150-$250k range.

Where the real financial burden will be felt by PSU is not in any civil liability penalties, or even in lawyer fees, but it's going to be the cumulative effects of thousands of sponsors and donors reducing or completely eliminating their support. That's going to really, really hurt.

I believe the Athletic Department is a separate entity from the school, and would not fall under that type of umbrella. The AD collects just under $100 million in revenue annually, and spends about $90 million on expenses (+$12 million to the university for tuition). The University itself might be protected, but I would bet the civil suits against the AD will result in multimillion dollar payouts per victim.

On another note the AD collects about $13.5 million annually from individual donors. They also have a pretty nice list of corporate sponsors:

(I was going to post the link, but the PSU AD site has removed the info… interesting it included Pepsi, Chesapeake and lots of others as sponsors)

I am guessing a **** load of this money dries up fast, and they go from operating in the black to red in less than a year. Add that to the fact that future revenues will have to be allocated to victim payments the AD will take years to recover from this.

If they think they can attract a big name coach, he is going to have to spend a ton of time finding nickels and dimes to run the program.

The other item PSU will have to do is demo the locker room and completely rebuild. How many players/recruits are going to want to go anywhere near that knowing what happened in there.

That project will need to start tomorrow.

I guess I am of the impression that while we feel like it is was a massive conspiracy, it was still pretty limited in scope when you consider the entire university, alumni, and fan base. A lot of them have acted stupidly as of late, but most if not all of that is shock and disbelief talking. As long as the people that were involved are punished and dealt with - which would include the entire football staff, most if not all of the athletic department, and the higher-ups in the university administration who did or should have known about this - I have no further problem with PSU. Much like the student-athletes on the team, the rest of the school, alumni, and fan base are all collateral damage, and this is probably hurting them more than enough.

That said, I don't think Penn State will recover from this quickly. Someone like Urban Meyer is not going to want to walk into that hornet's nest. The negative recruiting is going to be horrific for at least 5 years. PSU is going to have to go to a MAC coach or someone like that who would be happy to take on the project, and will still have to deal with recruits de-committing, transfers, and struggling with recruiting for a long time. Even if PSU handles everything correctly, it will take 10 years, imo, for them to be nationally relevant.

It starts this weekend, probably, with the Nubs taking them down on national tv.

This will not be contained to an argument that it was a few individuals in the football program. They have already fired the university president, the athletic director and the university VP have already been indicted. The idea that this is a few people operating in secret is a ship that sailed and sank already, the entire university is involved and any idea that things will return to normal anytime soon is just a fantasy.

As evidence continues to come out and more speculation is generated about how long the cover up lasted and the level of protection given to the child rapist (as well as the potential for others to be directly involved) this is only going to effect more people in the university outside the athletic program. Urban Meyer or anyone else is not going to be able to fix this and go back to "normal" anytime soon. PSU is going to be rocked to its very core and nobody is going to oppose it without risking being labelled as an enabler of those who violate children.

At this point even if evidence could be produced to indicate that the knowledge of what happened was limited to a few individuals and the events were exaggerated the damage has been done in the mind of the public. I would predict that in fact more damaging information is to come. There is going to be no choice at PSU except to take action to show that the new administration is in charge, that steps are being taken to make sure that nothing like this could ever happen again, and that athletics will never be allowed to take precedence over the academic mission of the university again.

I'd be real surprised if any big time coach took over this job anytime soon. Like the next 2-3 years. Talk about a challenge

Even without all this following a Paterno would be a nightmare. If you look at the guys who followed Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, Schembechler, etc. they all had issues. No matter what you do short of winning a national championship is not going to be enough and maybe even that isn't enough for some fans.

Throw in this disaster and the new coach is in a no win situation. The program is going to be gutted and under complete scrutiny. Every loss, even wins that aren't convincing enough will always be met with questions about what JoePa would have done. The people who think that the program should be punished for the actions of those involved in the cover up will criticize every success.

Add to this a bunch of litigation cost, reduced donations, and if the lawyers can get the victims cases into federal court and out from under the states liability limits potentially millions of dollars of damage judgements that will come out of athletic budget.

There may be a top coach who has just always dreamed of being the Penn State coach similar to the guys who will drop everything to go to Notre Dame but outside of this situation convincing a name coach to take the job will be a challenge.

I heard on the radio today that cars.com has dropped all advertising with anything related to PSU. I would expect that many others will follow.

I wonder if the Big 10 conference will take any action. This impacts them as a group, too.

I heard on the radio today that cars.com has dropped all advertising with anything related to PSU. I would expect that many others will follow.

I also heard that one of their prized recruits de-committed - just the tip of the iceberg

I wonder if the Big 10 conference will take any action. This impacts them as a group, too.

The Big Ten seems like a better fit for me than the NCAA. The Big 10 is an association of universities, beyond just the athletic departments. The NCAA just controls athletics. What happened at PSU doesn't really relate to anything on the field or players in the program, but it sure relates to the University as a whole.

But I don't remember any case of any of these conferences taking action against a member institution for wrongdoing. Of course, I don't remember a case like this, either...

The Big Ten seems like a better fit for me than the NCAA. The Big 10 is an association of universities, beyond just the athletic departments. The NCAA just controls athletics. What happened at PSU doesn't really relate to anything on the field or players in the program, but it sure relates to the University as a whole.

But I don't remember any case of any of these conferences taking action against a member institution for wrongdoing. Of course, I don't remember a case like this, either...

Don't have any idea what part of the conference agreement would give the Big 10 any authority to take formal action. They may have a clause about conduct detrimental to the conference but that would probably have to wait for some kind of court action before they could act.

What the Big 10 could do though is work behind the scenes to encourage the university to take action to clean up the situation as quickly as possible. The administrators at the other institutions would be logical resources to advise the PSU administrators in a confidential manner.

Trying to avoid this topic, since there is nothing worthwhile to say, but believe the thread title should be "Affect on ...."

Don't have any idea what part of the conference agreement would give the Big 10 any authority to take formal action. They may have a clause about conduct detrimental to the conference but that would probably have to wait for some kind of court action before they could act.

What the Big 10 could do though is work behind the scenes to encourage the university to take action to clean up the situation as quickly as possible. The administrators at the other institutions would be logical resources to advise the PSU administrators in a confidential manner.

Yeah, I don't know that the Big Ten has any standing to do anything, I'm just saying that I see even less standing for the NCAA to take any action.

Me no grammar police. But it's official, I have nothing worthwhile to say on this topic....

the university should suspend football for a couple of years and then re-start with all new leadership and staff.

hell, CU suspended football about 6 years ago and what state penn has done is light years worse.

shut it all down.

the university should suspend football for a couple of years and then re-start with all new leadership and staff.

hell, CU suspended football about 6 years ago and what state penn has done is light years worse.

shut it all down.

Simple remedy here, bring in Simple Dan.

Back