What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

I don’t think the criterion is standard since the NFL has hired numerous white coaches who aren’t good communicators.
Seems like the criterion is who does the owner want to play golf with and share a couple drinks in the clubhouse with.

EB may actually not be a great candidate. If that is the case it still doesn't excuse the league for not having a system in place to develop other Black coaches from the ground up into qualified candidates who given a few interviews should find themselves employed as head coaches.

If somebody has had half as many interviews as EB has had it should probably tell other owners/GMs that he isn't a great candidate and they should find somebody else.

At this point though is seems like there isn't anyone else. There simply aren't enough Black assistant coaches with a resume that justifies a serious look at them for an interview. I blame that entirely on the system in the NFL.

I hope he has a mentor who is helping him with the interview process. In the interim, he is putting away NFL pay checks and making my buff fandom feel proud. He sure as hell is good at his current role. Maybe it’s the perfect fit? He sure has rebounded after CU sent him for a loop.

EB's still only 52.

Contract's expiring. His best chance for a HC job would probably be to take a lateral move to be OC somewhere else. Succeed and he'll get a HC job quickly.
SF needs a new OC and they’ll have a young QB to mentor - if Lance looks good he’ll be in high demand because everyone from that coaching tree seems to get HC jobs.

I wonder if some teams would not shy away from hiring EB as a new OC based on the fact that he is looking to jump to a head coach role. Do teams want to be used as a stepping stone? I get that all coordinator jobs are a stepping stone to some degree, but it’s never ‘out there’ so obviously. Honestly, I feel bad for EB because his real life job hunt is in the media spin cycle, which in turn hurts his real life job hunt.

SF needs a new OC and they’ll have a young QB to mentor - if Lance looks good he’ll be in high demand because everyone from that coaching tree seems to get HC jobs.
He already has “help develop young QB” on his resume and he’ll be viewed in the same light going to an “OC by title only” position under Kyle Shanahan as he is now under Reid.

He needs to go somewhere like New Orleans as OC. Have full control over that offense with a competent QB like Jameis or Siemian (and Hill I guess). If he makes them a good offense in 2022, he’ll get a job in 2023.

He already has “help develop young QB” on his resume and he’ll be viewed in the same light going to an “OC by title only” position under Kyle Shanahan as he is now under Reid.

He needs to go somewhere like New Orleans as OC. Have full control over that offense with a competent QB like Jameis or Siemian (and Hill I guess). If he makes them a good offense in 2022, he’ll get a job in 2023.
Oof. I mean if he can do wonders with Siemian or Hill that’s a sure fire way to get noticed, but talk about risky. I guess whatever he’s doing now isn’t working so maybe it’s time to take a risk if he doesn’t want a college job.

I wonder if some teams would not shy away from hiring EB as a new OC based on the fact that he is looking to jump to a head coach role. Do teams want to be used as a stepping stone? I get that all coordinator jobs are a stepping stone to some degree, but it’s never ‘out there’ so obviously. Honestly, I feel bad for EB because his real life job hunt is in the media spin cycle, which in turn hurts his real life job hunt.
I think the opposite is true. I think the presumption is that everyone in coaching is looking towards promotion to HC. Also, I can't imagine that a team would want to hire someone who did not have those aspirations.

How long has EB been the OC under Reid? I only ask because maybe teams that have interviewed him didn't buy he was the one behind the offense, totally. Of course, race comes into play as well. Maybe it's a combo of both, wasn't there idk?

I think the opposite is true. I think the presumption is that everyone in coaching is looking towards promotion to HC. Also, I can't imagine that a team would want to hire someone who did not have those aspirations.
I can.

given that (1) it's rare to see an assistant promoted to HC on the same team and given that (2) there is a scarcity of proven, effective NFL coaches, if I'm a HC or GM hiring assistants I'd be happy in many situations with a "steady Eddie" who has shown he can effectively do the job but doesn't have aspirations of being promoted to HC.

Oof. I mean if he can do wonders with Siemian or Hill that’s a sure fire way to get noticed, but talk about risky. I guess whatever he’s doing now isn’t working so maybe it’s time to take a risk if he doesn’t want a college job.
Yeah I was thinking he’d go there and they’d resign Jameis if they can, which wouldn’t be as difficult a situation. Maybe SF at least provides a change of scenery, a new offensive scheme, young QB to work with and learning more under the other “best playcaller”?

Yeah I was thinking he’d go there and they’d resign Jameis if they can, which wouldn’t be as difficult a situation. Maybe SF at least provides a change of scenery, a new offensive scheme, young QB to work with and learning more under the other “best playcaller”?
At least in New Orleans there would be no question who was calling plays - it ain’t Dennis Allen. If he could direct a prolific offense where Jameis threw less than 93 picks then that would be a decent resume booster.

I can.

given that (1) it's rare to see an assistant promoted to HC on the same team and given that (2) there is a scarcity of proven, effective NFL coaches, if I'm a HC or GM hiring assistants I'd be happy in many situations with a "steady Eddie" who has shown he can effectively do the job but doesn't have aspirations of being promoted to HC.
Interesting. Can you think of an example? A coordinator who has no aspirations toward a HC position. The only ones that I can think of are those who had already had the position, and were over their heads.

I just can't imagine someone working their way up to an OC or DC position, and then saying "Nope. I'm good!" when their names came up in the HC rumor mill. There might be some out there, but I would think that would be more evidence of a motivation to just do an average job.

Given that we are talking about positions in competitive sports, I think the desire to be the best is sort of ingrained.

At least in New Orleans there would be no question who was calling plays - it ain’t Dennis Allen. If he could direct a prolific offense where Jameis threw less than 93 picks then that would be a decent resume booster.
I think a good offense even with Jameis throwing a billion picks would be a good resume booster. Most of the NFL knows that Jameis throwing a bunch of picks is not an OC issue, it's a Jameis issue.

Interesting. Can you think of an example? A coordinator who has no aspirations toward a HC position. The only ones that I can think of are those who had already had the position, and were over their heads.

I just can't imagine someone working their way up to an OC or DC position, and then saying "Nope. I'm good!" when their names came up in the HC rumor mill. There might be some out there, but I would think that would be more evidence of a motivation to just do an average job.

Given that we are talking about positions in competitive sports, I think the desire to be the best is sort of ingrained.
1. I was thinking of someone like Steve Spagnuolo, but can't state he has no HC ambitions with any confidence -- I suspect a lack of ambition to move up isn't something most would be public about. but we're thinking along the same lines -- a successful coordinator who got promoted to HC, didn't succeed, and realizes his career sweet spot is as an assistant.
2. my bad, I didn't realize this was restricted to coordinators, but think my statement probably applies more so of older position coaches riding out their careers, knowing there isn't an opportunity window to move up to HC. I think there may be a tendency for HC's to give coordinator positions to younger more ambitious people.

Jim Johnson
Tom Moore
Monte Kiffin (although he was a HC in college at NC State)

But those are very rare cases, generally speaking I think it's all about that one HC contract. Coordinators earn good money, make no mistake, but that HC contract guarantees you 20-25m even if you completely suck and you can always go back to being a coordinator and making 1-1.5m once you got fired.

Jim Johnson
Tom Moore
Monte Kiffin (although he was a HC in college at NC State)

But those are very rare cases, generally speaking I think it's all about that one HC contract. Coordinators earn good money, make no mistake, but that HC contract guarantees you 20-25m even if you completely suck and you can always go back to being a coordinator and making 1-1.5m once you got fired.
Plus your market value for endorsements & speaking fees goes into a different stratosphere. And if you want to go into broadcasting, you don't see too many coaches getting gigs if their biggest title had been coordinator.

You need to calm down with the whole Texan's hired Lovie Smith so racism is over thing.
Yeah that's not what I said. The crux of what I said is let's stop forming our worldview based on conclusions that haven't played out yet.

Only 35% of assistant coaches are black, half the player percent...if you want to tell me the hc's who hire the ac's are racist feel free but I find that to be profoundly retarded. They have no problem playing next to them and last I checked bill romo and Richie incognito aren't coaches or gm's. Looks to me that, for whatever reason, black nfl players don't want to get into coaching when they're done playing

The left has been calling the right racist the past 6 years BC that's what cnn tells them the opposite of what happened when a white high school kid wearing a maga hat smiles at a paid activist. So when I hear you cry racism BC two guys who have an average of 8 years experience in the league then damage control after hiring a man who led his team to a SB as a hc...yeah 6 years ago I would've said chill bro, they'll get their shot soon, its a cutthroat business. Now I'm just gonna laugh and call you racist. Meanwhile our president is giving out crack pipes in the name of racial equity. Lol, let me guess democrats, if you don't smoke crack then you ain't black. Hahaha, rEeEeeEpUbLiCaNs r RaCiSmSs! Don't worry tho, snopes said it wasn't racist BC there are 20 other components and racial equity was a secondary reason, so it isn't. Man do I like me, but boy am I glad I'm not you. See you at folsom ya racist bigot

You those twisted facts are literally just stats. He did make a super bowl. He cashed that chip in twice already for more chances and crashed and burned both places. Bill Obrien won 3 division titles in 6 years, which is less than Lovie, with guys like Tom Savage! You gonna cape up for him?
Not that you care bc you’re determined to be a victim but I think the Texans should have kept Culley as their coach. They put him in a terrible position not expecting to win and he overachieved.
Projection to the max. Lol, what don't you get? Yes, I would.

>he got hired BC he's white!
>no it was probably BC he won the division 3 times in 6 years

Great example

Yeah that's not what I said. The crux of what I said is let's stop forming our worldview based on conclusions that haven't played out yet.

Only 35% of assistant coaches are black, half the player percent...if you want to tell me the hc's who hire the ac's are racist feel free but I find that to be profoundly retarded. They have no problem playing next to them and last I checked bill romo and Richie incognito aren't coaches or gm's. Looks to me that, for whatever reason, black nfl players don't want to get into coaching when they're done playing

The left has been calling the right racist the past 6 years BC that's what cnn tells them the opposite of what happened when a white high school kid wearing a maga hat smiles at a paid activist. So when I hear you cry racism BC two guys who have an average of 8 years experience in the league then damage control after hiring a man who led his team to a SB as a hc...yeah 6 years ago I would've said chill bro, they'll get their shot soon, its a cutthroat business. Now I'm just gonna laugh and call you racist. Meanwhile our president is giving out crack pipes in the name of racial equity. Lol, let me guess democrats, if you don't smoke crack then you ain't black. Hahaha, rEeEeeEpUbLiCaNs r RaCiSmSs! Don't worry tho, snopes said it wasn't racist BC there are 20 other components and racial equity was a secondary reason, so it isn't. Man do I like me, but boy am I glad I'm not you. See you at folsom ya racist bigot

So angry, I hope someone answers this cry for help.

Back