What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

They have a Top 10 defense and missed the playoffs in the final week of he season. The owner is a dumpster fire, the team isn't far away from making he playoffs.
Overcoming the Snyder impact is a big deal.

He does have opportunity there but it comes with risk.

@PAHIBuff
I get what you’re saying but doesn’t it seem like racial bias, intentional or unintentional, might be a strange and unlikely characteristic for guys in NFL management to have? Maybe I’m being naive here, but it doesn’t seem to fit.
You are being naive here.

This is exactly why Critical Race Theory exist.

People might think they aren't being racist or that their institutions are not racist or that it doesn't make any sense but when you look at the quantifiable data there is no conclusion that can be reached other than racial bias does exist and have a strong influence.

Again the league is over 60% Black and has been for decades, college football similarly is disproportionately Black. These are facts.

It is also a fact that significant numbers of those Black athletes love the game and know the game at least as well as the white athletes, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

With that the case why do we see only 10-15% of college and pro assistants being Black men, why do we not see significant numbers of Black coaches promoted into coaching positions that lead to being candidates for head coaching jobs?

Be it intentional or unintentional the fact of the matter is a similarly qualified and motivated Black man has a much smaller chance of getting a shot at being a head football coach at the pro or major college level. The numbers clearly prove this as fact.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the remedies proposed by those who support CRT but it is simply impossible to argue with the data that supports their definition of the problem.

There is simply no way to frame the numbers of head coaching opportunities that Black people get in the NFL vs. white people without admitting that some form of racism is strongly at work.

@PAHIBuff

People might think they aren't being racist or that their institutions are not racist or that it doesn't make any sense but when you look at the quantifiable data there is no conclusion that can be reached other than racial bias does exist and have a strong influence.

Again the league is over 60% Black and has been for decades, college football similarly is disproportionately Black. These are facts.

It is also a fact that significant numbers of those Black athletes love the game and know the game at least as well as the white athletes, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

With that the case why do we see only 10-15% of college and pro assistants being Black men, why do we not see significant numbers of Black coaches promoted into coaching positions that lead to being candidates for head coaching jobs?

Be it intentional or unintentional the fact of the matter is a similarly qualified and motivated Black man has a much smaller chance of getting a shot at being a head football coach at the pro or major college level. The numbers clearly prove this as fact.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the remedies proposed by those who support CRT but it is simply impossible to argue with the data that supports their definition of the problem.

There is simply no way to frame the numbers of head coaching opportunities that Black people get in the NFL vs. white people without admitting that some form of racism is strongly at work.
Counter to your point, I see the inverse happening beginning at a young age. I have been an assistant coach for my son’s football and baseball teams for years. I have seen the head coaches put the fast black kids at running back and wide receiver out of hand (especially at majority white schools and teams), without even evaluating their talent. My son quit football when he was far and away the better running back at understanding the plays, blocking, receiving, with decent speed and actually listened to the coaches. He was big enough, so he was put at guard. Happened at both the last city we lived in and the current. Now he’s in high school. The kid that was groomed to be running back is still just mid and someone that could have been developed but never given a chance (and don’t tell me it’s work ethic because there was no chance to even try) dropped out. I honestly think there is an inherent bias to favor blacks athletes at a young age which then translates into an over representation at the higher levels.
Beyond the above statement, I have no qualms with their success.

Snyder is selling the team. Should be completed before the season begins.
We’ll see. Snyder seems to be pursuing a sales price ($7 billion) that suggests he doesn’t actually want to sell. For comparison, the Broncos sold for a record $4.65 billion. And the Commanders have bad attendance now, piss poor profitability, and they need a new stadium too.

Counter to your point, I see the inverse happening beginning at a young age. I have been an assistant coach for my son’s football and baseball teams for years. I have seen the head coaches put the fast black kids at running back and wide receiver out of hand (especially at majority white schools and teams), without even evaluating their talent. My son quit football when he was far and away the better running back at understanding the plays, blocking, receiving, with decent speed and actually listened to the coaches. He was big enough, so he was put at guard. Happened at both the last city we lived in and the current. Now he’s in high school. The kid that was groomed to be running back is still just mid and someone that could have been developed but never given a chance (and don’t tell me it’s work ethic because there was no chance to even try) dropped out. I honestly think there is an inherent bias to favor blacks athletes at a young age which then translates into an over representation at the higher levels.
Beyond the above statement, I have no qualms with their success.
No question that historically there have been many levels of racism at work in the game.

For much of the history of football the only place you would find a Black QB (or a Black MLB who was considered the QB of the defense) was at an all Black school. The arguments were made that Blacks "weren't smart enough, didn't have the leadership, couldn't control their emotions" and all the other racist stereotypes. That lasted until fairly recently when lo and behold we have Black QBs and MLBs winning Super Bowl rings.

Yes there have been biases against white players at the so-called speed positions. White kids are pushed away from playing CB, RB, etc. How often has our fan base automatically looked at a white WR and labelled him as a slot receiver without knowing what his skills are.

This still doesn't change the reality though that we are happy to have Black players entertain us as players but somehow they aren't good enough to be our coaches (or General Managers, Athletic Directors, and other positions of leadership.)

One of the reasons (I think the biggest reason) that sports are disproportionately dominated by Black athletes is because in culture where people of color have historically (and by the data still do) had obstacles to their success and advancement sport has been seen as a way to move up. Put your physical, mental, and emotional effort into sport and you have a chance to move forward economically.

And for many it has worked. It has been an avenue to getting an education, to seeing and experiencing a bigger world. But then our institutions say your efforts are good enough to be a player but we aren't going to open that door and let you run things.

Yes white kids have also been the victims of stereotyping in athletics and it is wrong. The big difference is that those white kids have had and still have a much broader and deeper world of other opportunities to go to.

No question that historically there have been many levels of racism at work in the game.

For much of the history of football the only place you would find a Black QB (or a Black MLB who was considered the QB of the defense) was at an all Black school. The arguments were made that Blacks "weren't smart enough, didn't have the leadership, couldn't control their emotions" and all the other racist stereotypes. That lasted until fairly recently when lo and behold we have Black QBs and MLBs winning Super Bowl rings.

Yes there have been biases against white players at the so-called speed positions. White kids are pushed away from playing CB, RB, etc. How often has our fan base automatically looked at a white WR and labelled him as a slot receiver without knowing what his skills are.

This still doesn't change the reality though that we are happy to have Black players entertain us as players but somehow they aren't good enough to be our coaches (or General Managers, Athletic Directors, and other positions of leadership.)

One of the reasons (I think the biggest reason) that sports are disproportionately dominated by Black athletes is because in culture where people of color have historically (and by the data still do) had obstacles to their success and advancement sport has been seen as a way to move up. Put your physical, mental, and emotional effort into sport and you have a chance to move forward economically.

And for many it has worked. It has been an avenue to getting an education, to seeing and experiencing a bigger world. But then our institutions say your efforts are good enough to be a player but we aren't going to open that door and let you run things.

Yes white kids have also been the victims of stereotyping in athletics and it is wrong. The big difference is that those white kids have had and still have a much broader and deeper world of other opportunities to go to.
I don’t disagree at all. I was just trying to point out a possible reason for the disproportionate amount of black players…starting with stereotyping at a young age

I don’t disagree at all. I was just trying to point out a possible reason for the disproportionate amount of black players…starting with stereotyping at a young age
Certainly. It happens and still carries over in many fields.

That same stereotyping that hurt your son as a running back has a much greater impact against Blacks who want to manage a bank, own a construction business (they can be workers but we won't lend them start-up money,) or be in charge of division of a business, or be a head football coach.

@PAHIBuff

I understand what you're saying here Mtn. I just have this idea that the highly competitive nature of the NFL should cause ownership to be more colorblind in promotional/hiring decisions, rather than more intentionally (or unintentionally) racist, i.e. it's strongly in their business interests not to be racist. I also get that the world doesn't always run on rationality.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying here Mtn. I just have this idea that the highly competitive nature of the NFL should cause ownership to be more colorblind in promotional/hiring decisions, rather than more intentionally (or unintentionally) racist, i.e. it's strongly in their business interests not to be racist. I also get that the world doesn't always run on rationality.
It would make sense for them to get past their biases but the statistical data as well as what we see proves that not to be the case.

The irrationality is probably stronger in the NFL because for many of these owners the teams are as much a toy as they are a business. The owner gets to have his name in the media, hang out with players, and play golf with his head coach. He is going to pick a head coach he is "comfortable" spending time with, and for many of these men that means a white guy.

I honestly think there is an inherent bias to favor blacks athletes at a young age which then translates into an over representation at the higher levels.
I can’t buy that a white kid who’s good enough to play RB or WR at “higher levels” would be suppressed because his peewee coach thought he should be a RG or TE because of his skin color.

Talent shows out. Any kid who has that ability shows out and is going to be far above everyone typically by middle school. He won’t be stuck at RG for long.

He may not get the benefit of doubt and might have to prove himself a bit more at each step once close to the “higher level”, where he doesn’t stand out as much, but in 8th grade, everyone will know him and be talking about the white kid with wheels from early on.

I can’t buy that a white kid who’s good enough to play RB or WR at “higher levels” would be suppressed because his peewee coach thought he should be a RG or TE because of his skin color.

Talent shows out. Any kid who has that ability shows out and is going to be far above everyone typically by middle school. He won’t be stuck at RG for long.

He may not get the benefit of doubt and might have to prove himself a bit more at each step once close to the “higher level”, where he doesn’t stand out as much, but in 8th grade, everyone will know him and be talking about the white kid with wheels from early on.
Because the kid ISN’T playing at higher levels because he was pushed aside in pewee/Junior High and forced to play OLine.

know what, **** you.

We’ll see. Snyder seems to be pursuing a sales price ($7 billion) that suggests he doesn’t actually want to sell. For comparison, the Broncos sold for a record $4.65 billion. And the Commanders have bad attendance now, piss poor profitability, and they need a new stadium too.
This.

Snyder is going through the motions of selling the team. The only thing he's committed to is selling "part of" the team.

The bottom line is that he isn't going to sell a controlling share or the entire team unless he gets an absurd price (he won't) or until the other owners force him to (they won't).

This.

Snyder is going through the motions of selling the team. The only thing he's committed to is selling "part of" the team.

The bottom line is that he isn't going to sell a controlling share or the entire team unless he gets an absurd price (he won't) or until the other owners force him to (they won't).
And then he could very well sell a portion of the team to one of his buddies who thinks like he does.

"Thinks" is generous nomenclature.
True.

Might be more accurate to say has the same beliefs and practices.

Consider what Snyder has done with his female employees, stated in the emails that were disclosed, and more. If he weren't a billionaire with limitless lawyers and PR staff he would have been successfully sued multiple times.

High risk, high reward move. Althoigh the risk isn’t even that much. Even if he fails by NFL standards, he will be a very wealthy man.

Wait for him to call Sam Marquesha.…
bomb GIF

One thing I'm not sure that has been brought up in regard to EB is that his tenure as the OC at CU was absolutely disastrous. The others on the list as comparisons only had their time as OC with Andy Reid, so no other body of work to show.

It could be one of the factors that made him different from the others that got promoted from being the OC under Andy Reid.

One thing I'm not sure that has been brought up in regard to EB is that his tenure as the OC at CU was absolutely disastrous. The others on the list as comparisons only had their time as OC with Andy Reid, so no other body of work to show.

It could be one of the factors that made him different from the others that got promoted from being the OC under Andy Reid.
Maybe

I will always think of EB as likely the greatest RB coach of all-time. He just coached a rookie to essentially dominate the games and help KC win and he has coached tons of backs to be great.

As for complete ability to coach and call plays on offense or to ultimately be the Head Coach of an NFL team, we shall see. The next 2-3 years will decide the rest of EB’s life in coaching.

LeSean McCoy isn’t real positive about EB in this take. Hopefully EB can prove McCoy wrong, but I have heard similar things elsewhere, which is why I have been skeptical about EB’s ability to be a head coach.

Back