What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

Understand, but if Kafka is willing to take another teams OC, maybe he believes that EB will not be leaving as Chiefs OC or he knows the Chiefs OC job is not a full responsibility OC position. Technically, Kafka probably is taking a better job than EB has right now
Gotcha. Yep, that would make sense.

He’s getting a promotion to OC. Bienemy is already OC
Which would indicate that Saints already have their coach picked out, probably from inside the current staff.

I was under the impression though that if a team promotes from within they don't have to comply with the minority interviewing requirements. Could easily be wrong.

I dont know anything about point shaving laws but wouldnt the dolphins need to have bet on the games and then win those bets due to the point shaving? Sorry for my ignorance.
I looked up the Federal Point Shaving Statute, 18 U.S.C., sec. 224, and it doesn't have any requirement as to the actual betting, wins/losses, on the outcome of the altered game:

Sec. 244(a)
Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

Looks like just a bribery scheme to influence a game pretty much does it.

I looked up the Federal Point Shaving Statute, 18 U.S.C., sec. 224, and it doesn't have any requirement as to the actual betting, wins/losses, on the outcome of the altered game:

Sec. 244(a)
Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commerce to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge that the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contest, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

I'd be curious if that has ever been prosecuted stand alone without other gambling or conspiracy charges.

Sort of like how vehicular manslaughter charges are almost never pursued without concurrent dui charges.

Which would indicate that Saints already have their coach picked out, probably from inside the current staff.

I was under the impression though that if a team promotes from within they don't have to comply with the minority interviewing requirements. Could easily be wrong.
I think that is only for coordinators and position coaches.

Sec. 244(a)

I thought this was a decent read regarding matchfixing regulations

Rooney Rule requires two non in-house minority candidates to be interviewed.

The NBA has around 23% black coaches. Why? It may be because the vast majority of players are black, and wouldn't tolerate what the NFL does.

The NBA has around 23% black coaches. Why? It may be because the vast majority of players are black, and wouldn't tolerate what the NFL does.
While 23% is better than 10% (the NFL in most years), the NBA has a higher percentage of black players at around 74.2%, so is it really so much better to warrant the standing ovation you’re giving them? Also, as of 2020, the NFL is 57.5% black, so I’m unsure where this 70% number keeps coming from.

While 23% is better than 10% (the NFL in most years), the NBA has a higher percentage of black players at around 74.2%, so is it really so much better to warrant the standing ovation you’re giving them? Also, as of 2020, the NFL is 57.5% black, so I’m unsure where this 70% number keeps coming from.

At the start of the 2014 season, NFL surveys revealed that the league was 68.7% African-American and 28.6% non-Hispanic white, with the remaining 2.7% comprising Asian/Pacific Islander, non-white Hispanics, and those preferring an other category. In the 21st century, the percentage of non-Hispanic white players has decreased slightly, falling from 29.0% in 2003 to 26.8% in 2019. The 2019 racial and gender report card included for the first time a two or more races option to which 9.6% of players reported themselves, thus resulting in a lower African American percentage at 58.9%.[40]

So in 2022, the media is using data from 2014 to make a point, when there is more recent data that is substantially different. Got it

Look at the appendices for more details. I see no problem with the 70% figure based on these. The AA/black figure has consistently been in the 65-70% range until they adapted the options slightly to give people an opportunity to express more accurately what race they identify as.

Last edited:

Wow, you're F'd up. "Standing ovation"? I made a simple comparison and have no high regard for the NBA - I don't follow it at all. You are typical of the 'net - put words in someone else's mouth and then argue they are wrong. That is really pretty lame.

What percentage of all coaches in the NFL are black? Head coach all the way down to position coaches.

That is the number that really needs to be looked at. Who cares what percentage of the league is black. Your getting your coaching pool from coaches not the players.

Do former black players have the same desire to get into coaching on a percentage basis as white players?

Wow, you're F'd up. "Standing ovation"? I made a simple comparison and have no high regard for the NBA - I don't follow it at all. You are typical of the 'net - put words in someone else's mouth and then argue they are wrong. That is really pretty lame.
Apologies. It was an overly dramatic way to respond. The NBA "not standing for it", as if they are such a beacon of diversity and inclusion, felt a little weird when it's really not a whole lot different.

Apologies. It was an overly dramatic way to respond. The NBA "not standing for it", as if they are such a beacon of diversity and inclusion, felt a little weird when it's really not a whole lot different.
But at least the NBA is trying different approaches. The NBA is now up to 46% of assistant coaches being people of color and 8 women assistant coaches. The NBA approaches discussed in the article are building from the ground up, not throwing a bone like the NFL is doing with the Rooney rule.

It could bode well for EB that the Saints had/have already met their Rooney Rule obligations before interviewing him. They interviewed Flores and Aaron Glenn, who I think of as an internal candidate, but is technically not. I still think the Saints go with a candidate that has ties to the current staff and front office like Glenn (not necessarily a current internal coach).

I really don't understand the hype with Bieniemy - both my cousin & friends were on the roster when Bieniemy & Embree took over. I'd rather not disclose their names for trolls etc. From all accounts Bieniemy was a complete a**hole. The locker room fell apart. Both of them wouldn't coach - they would just scream. I understand the nfl is a different animal, but if I owned a team I wouldn't hire him.

Question for you-do you honestly believe McDumb**** is more qualified to be an NFL HC than Leftwich or EB are? I definitely do not.
Question for you- now that the Texans have hired lovie Smith and not Josh mccown, are you man enough to admit you were wrong? Perhaps your worldview isn't 100% correct? Maybe every negative experience for a minority isn't 100% due to malice or bigotry? What if jumping to conclusions is a bad idea? Because sometimes people like Brian flores, a man with less total experience than vic fangio had years as a coordinator, in which flores had one, are actually just bad people. Have you ever considered you're the bad guy and the good guy is the one saying let's look at the facts: The man is claiming to be a victim of racism because he was passed over for a man with overwhelming experience, hired THAT VERY SAME ****ING YEAR, fired after three years (by a black gm btw), then not hired immediately after being canned? Huh... Next time I go to the eye doctor, I'll ask her if colorblindness makes the sky look green for some people. I'll get back to you

Back