What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Eric Bien(i)emy's next job speculation, shut out again

Other than his time at CU (which we know had a lot of issues with EB and Embo having clashing visions and their relationship not working on a boss/employee level), all I see with EB's entire career is him doing a damn good job at every position he's ever held.

Other than his time at CU (which we know had a lot of issues with EB and Embo having clashing visions and their relationship not working on a boss/employee level), all I see with EB's entire career is him doing a damn good job at every position he's ever held.

Some Buff fans just have a black heart when it comes to EB. I suspect it is mostly people that didn’t see him play at CU.

Quit moving the goalposts.

OP assertion was that EB proved his worth because Washington's offense was better than 2022 and KC's was worse.

Your rebuttal was that KC's offensive problems were the fault of a lackluster WR corps, and that EB's departure had nothing to do with it.

I pointed out that the WR personnel was entirely the same year to year with one exception. In that case, they got almost the exact same production from the replacement. Ergo, if WR wasn't the problem in 2022 (when KC had a top 3-5 offense by any statistical measure), then it shouldn't have been in 2023, unless it was correlated to another variable (such as the departure of EB).

Your initial 'rebuttal' to my argument was no rebuttal at all- you said that since a whole bunch of commentators said that the WR group was cheeks, then that must be the problem, and that the statistics I presented meant nothing.

Now you are arguing that EB isn't a good coordinator, didn't call the plays, and he's not HC material. This was not your original argument, and is an entirely separate discussion.

Here are the facts:
  • The roster was remarkably stable on offense-it was almost exactly the same starters from 2022- and KC invested in the offseason on that side of the ball:
    • Of players that started any games on offense for the Chiefs in 2022, 3 left: JuJu Smith Schuster, Orlando Brown, and Mecole Hardman.
    • To offset, Chiefs brought in Jawaan Taylor (T), Richie James (WR), and Donovan Smith (T) and drafted Rashee Rice (WR) & another (T)
  • They regressed in EVERY major category on offense:
    • 2022: 29.2 PPG, 2.71 points per drive, scored on 46.4% of drives, expected points 281, Red Zone 69.4%
    • 2023: 21.8 PPG, 2.01 points per drive, scored on 39.3% of drives, expected points 62, Red Zone 54.1%
One would think that if the WR corps was a constant and that it was the same OC still calling plays that there'd be less of a regression than that. I wonder what else changed?
  • Also, Washington improved in almost every major category on offense:
    • 2022: 18.9 PPG, 1.55 points per drive, scored on 28.4% of drives, expected points -24.7, Red Zone 51.2%
    • 2023: 19.4 PPG, 1.68 points per drive, scored on 29.4% of drives, expected points -30.0, Red Zone 63.3%
EB isn't a good coach, and no owner in the league wants to waste money and years for n hiring him for that position. The word is out on him, and everyone seems to hold the same opinion.

EB isn't a good coach, and no owner in the league wants to waste money and years for n hiring him for that position. The word is out on him, and everyone seems to hold the same opinion.
He is likely a top 3 RB coach of all time, and a top 10 OC right now. If he does not get an NFL head job, then he should go get a college HC job and rebuild his brand. He has blemishes in some NFL minds, but I wish he would get a shot.

He is likely a top 3 RB coach of all time, and a top 10 OC right now. If he does not get an NFL head job, then he should go get a college HC job and rebuild his brand. He has blemishes in some NFL minds, but I wish he would get a shot.
Do we put a lot of stock in rb coach? I’m sure he taught AP a ton. Hey Adrian, here’s the ball, use your out of this world god given talents. Could prob help teach some pass blocking technique but that’s it

EB and JE dreamed of getting the CU job but it was a terrible position for both of them.

They dropped into a program that was a tire fire in a rolling dumpster. They had zero administrative support, the worst talent in the conference, a ridiculously low budget for assistants, and unreasonable expectations from a lot of fans who expected them to bring back the glory days.

In addition to a talent deficit the hold over players on the roster had for the most part accepted losing, for many of them football was a joke and they practiced like it.

They ended up with a staff in which the Head Coach (Embree,) the OC (EB,) and the DC (Greg Brown,) combined had zero years of experience as coordinators much less as a head coach. Don't remember exactly but remember that they had a couple of position coaches who had never coached at the D1 level and a couple others who only had one or two years. It was an almost guaranteed failure. I don't think Nick Sabin could have saved that situation.

JE and EB got overwhelmed with the situation and lost control. Not what we would have wanted but understandable. Most quality coaches have some failure in their history. If you dismissed from consideration the guys who had a bad stint someplace there wouldn't be many left.

Sadly the CU job was absolutely the dream job for JE, a piece of him died inside when they weren't able to turn it around. The AD knew this and yet cruelly put him up in front of the media when they fired him. Is it any shock that his bitterness came out and he said some things that in other circumstances he wouldn't have. I am of the belief that given a fair chance to spend some time as an OC and develop JE could have been a successful college head coach but the CU job killed that and he never got another chance.

EB has done everything anyone could ever ask him to do to overcome what happened at CU. Players who have played for him respect him, coaches who have coached with him including KC HC Andy Reid who has seen a number of his assistants go on to success.

My hope with EB now is that he not only gets a shot to be a HC but that the shot comes with a team that actually gives him a reasonable chance for success, not one of the dead end franchises that kills coaching careers because with his history and as a Black man EB won't get a second chance.

EB and JE dreamed of getting the CU job but it was a terrible position for both of them.

They dropped into a program that was a tire fire in a rolling dumpster. They had zero administrative support, the worst talent in the conference, a ridiculously low budget for assistants, and unreasonable expectations from a lot of fans who expected them to bring back the glory days.

In addition to a talent deficit the hold over players on the roster had for the most part accepted losing, for many of them football was a joke and they practiced like it.

They ended up with a staff in which the Head Coach (Embree,) the OC (EB,) and the DC (Greg Brown,) combined had zero years of experience as coordinators much less as a head coach. Don't remember exactly but remember that they had a couple of position coaches who had never coached at the D1 level and a couple others who only had one or two years. It was an almost guaranteed failure. I don't think Nick Sabin could have saved that situation.

JE and EB got overwhelmed with the situation and lost control. Not what we would have wanted but understandable. Most quality coaches have some failure in their history. If you dismissed from consideration the guys who had a bad stint someplace there wouldn't be many left.

Sadly the CU job was absolutely the dream job for JE, a piece of him died inside when they weren't able to turn it around. The AD knew this and yet cruelly put him up in front of the media when they fired him. Is it any shock that his bitterness came out and he said some things that in other circumstances he wouldn't have. I am of the belief that given a fair chance to spend some time as an OC and develop JE could have been a successful college head coach but the CU job killed that and he never got another chance.

EB has done everything anyone could ever ask him to do to overcome what happened at CU. Players who have played for him respect him, coaches who have coached with him including KC HC Andy Reid who has seen a number of his assistants go on to success.

My hope with EB now is that he not only gets a shot to be a HC but that the shot comes with a team that actually gives him a reasonable chance for success, not one of the dead end franchises that kills coaching careers because with his history and as a Black man EB won't get a second chance.
Perfect summation
The Seattle job would be a really good one

Counter point...some guys who have played for him, hate his guts.

I don't dislike EB the person...but he's not head coach material, and if I'm an owner, GM, etc. I don't want to waste money on what I strongly expect will be abject failure.

I don't dislike EB the person...but he's not head coach material, and if I'm an owner, GM, etc. I don't want to waste money on what I strongly expect will be abject failure.
There are players who hate Belichick's guts, there were guys who hated Mike Shanahan, Nick Sabin, Barry Switzer, and on and on. Generally the guys who hate the coaches are the ones who didn't meet the coaches expectations and blamed the coaches for it.

I don't want a coach who everybody loves, means he doesn't push his team to excel.

None of us know if EB will be a success of failure, my opinion of him is different than yours.

I'm pretty confident that if he gets into a good situation with a team that has supportive but not overbearing ownership and the resources to build a good team he will succeed. Put him on one of the perennial losers and he will fail, as would the majority of coaching candidates.

EB is a very big personality. I think he's a better fit as a college HC for that reason. People are either going to love him or hate him, so being able to fill the roster with his guys would make a big difference imo.

same can be said about:
- Nick Saban
- Pete Carrol
- Bill Walsh
- Parcells
- Hoodie
- Andy Ried

and on and on; players don't all love their coaches, even if that coach is best for them. I'm not here to support this EB argument one way or another, but this was a lazy take.

Last edited:
same can be said about:
- Nick Saban
- Pete Carrol
- Bill Walsh
- Parcells
- Hoodie
- Andy Ried

and on and on; players don't all love their coaches, even if that coach is best for them. I'm not here to support this EB argument one way or another, but this was a lazy take.
"You don't have to love him to be successful! Catfish Martin hated Billy Martin! Bill Parcells, his guys, they can't stand him, 'till they start to win." - Tony Soprano

Bieniiemy doesn’t get hired as an HC because “he doesn’t call the plays” as an OC.

Tennessee’s new HC was the OC at Cincinatti the past 5 years where he didn’t call the plays.

Is his dad Bill Callahan, Oakland Raiders-Nebraska Callahan?

Way to go white guy hiring, up up and away.

Follow the yellow brick road

I absolutely hate to say it because it may be unpopular here, but it's pretty clear when looking at it that way that coming back to CU killed Bieniemy's career progression.
I don't know what you're seeing. QB coaches get OC and HC jobs ahead of RB coaches. If anything, I think EB's return to CU was a positive since he got the OC position on his resume.

Who among us right now would take EB over Shurmur as the Buffs OC for 2024?

I think that EB is going to have to go and take a College HC job to build his NFL HC resume, and the SDSU job would have been a great starting point

One thing I've heard suggested regarding EB, and granted this is a generalization, but maybe the NFL is trying to tell us something. Maybe he doesn't interview very well, maybe he doesn't display proper leadership or CEO qualities, maybe his reputation as a bit of a hothead, who knows. But there is something that is causing NFL teams to shy away.

Of course a lot of people are going to point to race but look at DeMeco Ryans who was hired quickly with significantly less experience than EB.

One thing I've heard suggested regarding EB, and granted this is a generalization, but maybe the NFL is trying to tell us something. Maybe he doesn't interview very well, maybe he doesn't display proper leadership or CEO qualities, maybe his reputation as a bit of a hothead, who knows. But there is something that is causing NFL teams to shy away.

Of course a lot of people are going to point to race but look at DeMeco Ryans who was hired quickly with significantly less experience than EB.
EB must not interview well. It’s a skill that not everyone has, unfortunately.

EB must not interview well. It’s a skill that not everyone has, unfortunately.

Reports from EB's interviews have been that he's very prepared with a detailed plan and has impressed. So it must be something to do with him not resonating as the guy to be the face and leader of the organization, because it's certainly not resume or vision he's falling short with.

Back