What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Recruiting myth number 27...Not every highly ranked recruit is an academic or character risk and not every lowly ranked recruit is an angel. Character guys can get in trouble also. By all accounts Webb was a character guy...but he got in trouble. Some of MacIntyre recruits will get into trouble - it is the law of averages.
Using Webb is a awful example. You also missed the point of that paragraph as well.

Recruiting myth number 27...Not every highly ranked recruit is an academic or character risk and not every lowly ranked recruit is an angel. Character guys can get in trouble also. By all accounts Webb was a character guy...but he got in trouble. Some of MacIntyre recruits will get into trouble - it is the law of averages.

No question that there are plenty of highly ranked kids who are not problem guys, probably the great majority of them. However very, very few of these kids are willing to go to a program that has won 8 games in 3 years and hasn't had a bowl win since before they were first graders. The highly rated kids who are open to going to lower end programs tend to be those who don't have offers from more highly successful programs, usually because they carry some significant risk.

I really don't think I'm going overboard. I believe in optimism with a heavy dose of realism. Do you honestly think we've seen a AD like RG in years? I sure don't. From everything I've heard and read, he's gotten the CU Admin on board which Bohn and Thorpe could never do. He isn't sandbagging at all, in fact he strikes me as the opposite. Under promise and over deliver. I guess well have this conversation in a couple months when we see how far we've come. I'm guessing it gets done way ahead of schedule.

Either you don't know what the word "sandbagging" means, or you don't know what the word "opposite" means.

Big fan of the choice. They're doing Kyle Field, **** Bailor's new stadium, TCF Bank Stadium, and probably most notably the KFC Yum! Center which is the nicest college basketball stadium in the country.

This may sound nuts, but I'm really looking forward to the next round of facilities improvements more than what's coming up in the immediate future. We're going to have to figure out what to do with Balch/Carlson. Somebody, a long time ago, mentioned that a re-designed Carlson would make for a fantastic "front door" to the stadium complex itself. I totally agree. Unfortunately, that's not part of this phase, but I'm really looking forward to seeing that done someday. Figuring out a way to incorporate the flatirons club/press box into an expanded West side, with perhaps a second level of seating, will be an architectural challenge, but one I'm really looking forward to seeing with my own eyes.

This may sound nuts, but I'm really looking forward to the next round of facilities improvements more than what's coming up in the immediate future. We're going to have to figure out what to do with Balch/Carlson. Somebody, a long time ago, mentioned that a re-designed Carlson would make for a fantastic "front door" to the stadium complex itself. I totally agree. Unfortunately, that's not part of this phase, but I'm really looking forward to seeing that done someday. Figuring out a way to incorporate the flatirons club/press box into an expanded West side, with perhaps a second level of seating, will be an architectural challenge, but one I'm really looking forward to seeing with my own eyes.

In the next phase, Balch will be demolished along with the current west side press boxes. This allows for an opportunity to incorporate multi-tier seating, a true press box, and maybe some old school opera style boxes like we currently have to incorporate our past. The balch side will likely be turned into a wide concourse big enough for the band to enter and continue marching through before games, as well as new permanent concessions, new bathrooms, and hopefully a new stadium branch of the book store. Multi-tiered club levels above and a new entrance through calson. It will be gorgeous when complete, but Balch will be gone.

In the next phase, Balch will be demolished along with the current west side press boxes. This allows for an opportunity to incorporate multi-tier seating, a true press box, and maybe some old school opera style boxes like we currently have to incorporate our past. The balch side will likely be turned into a wide concourse big enough for the band to enter and continue marching through before games, as well as new permanent concessions, new bathrooms, and hopefully a new stadium branch of the book store. Multi-tiered club levels above and a new entrance through calson. It will be gorgeous when complete, but Balch will be gone.

Where are you getting this from? It sounds wonderful, but I've never seen anything that details this kind of plan. The loss of Balch does not bother me. It's a building that has some character, but it really needs to go. The proposed entrance through Carlson sounds fantastic. That big staircase is sweet.

These were renderings done a while ago under Bohn, but I would imagine the overall plan is still the same for that side of the stadium.

They were tossing around 2 different design ideas. Personally I prefer "Option A". Now there is no guarantee this is what they would end up doing over there, but it would only make sense as they continue to upgrade and improve Folsom.
20120825_123434_west_edited-1_500.jpg

20120825_123402_side1_edited-1_500.jpg

If Balch is on the National Register, it will not be coming down. Maybe they gut the interior and remodel. But I don't know what its "protected" status is. Anyone have an idea?

These were renderings done a while ago under Bohn, but I would imagine the overall plan is still the same for that side of the stadium.

They were tossing around 2 different design ideas. Personally I prefer "Option A". Now there is no guarantee this is what they would end up doing over there, but it would only make sense as they continue to upgrade and improve Folsom.
20120825_123434_west_edited-1_500.jpg

20120825_123402_side1_edited-1_500.jpg

I like both renderings. I just hope I don't have to wait too long to see it in real life.

I dislike having a roof over part of the stands, but love how it bounces sound back into the stadium

I am more of a traditionalist I guess because I actually hate the second rendering. The first one is much more of the style I would like to see for the West side, classic look and not a sleek modern addition to Folsom.

I am more of a traditionalist I guess because I actually hate the second rendering. The first one is much more of the style I would like to see for the West side, classic look and not a sleek modern addition to Folsom.

If you look really close, you'll see that the only difference between the two renderings is the 2nd level on the first one. They just added a second level of seating and some support beams to come up with rendering #1.

If you look really close, you'll see that the only difference between the two renderings is the 2nd level on the first one. They just added a second level of seating and some support beams to come up with rendering #1.

I hate the look of the concrete press box hanging over the stands. It looks like a top of a concrete crypt. the lights and second level of seats add some class and you have the second endcap flagstone building boxing the section in. The final appearance is much different from an overall appearance standpoint is my main point.

I hate the look of the concrete press box hanging over the stands. It looks like a top of a concrete crypt. the lights and second level of seats add some class and you have the second endcap flagstone building boxing the section in. The final appearance is much different from an overall appearance standpoint is my main point.

That concrete press box is there in both renderings. It's just the angle at which you're viewing the building that doesn't make it look so bad. The endcap would be there in both. They took it out for that rendering to show you what would be inside the building, behind the seating. The lights do look cool, but they could put those in over the press box and have the same effect. There really isn't much difference between the two renderings other than the second level of seating. I suspect they would start with what you see in rendering #2, and expand to put in the extra seats once demand is sufficient.

I don't like the support pillars in the first one. There should be nothing structurally to obstruct the view of fans.

That concrete press box is there in both renderings. It's just the angle at which you're viewing the building that doesn't make it look so bad. The endcap would be there in both. They took it out for that rendering to show you what would be inside the building, behind the seating. The lights do look cool, but they could put those in over the press box and have the same effect. There really isn't much difference between the two renderings other than the second level of seating. I suspect they would start with what you see in rendering #2, and expand to put in the extra seats once demand is sufficient.

Reworking in those columns would not be fun.

Except in the second rendering they stop with the concrete crypt top. It is a horrible look. Just saying. The first rendering adds a whole different feel and look to the renovation. My $0.02. Not going to argue with you on what I think looks classic versus what looks like crap 60's concrete architecture.

Except in the second rendering they stop with the concrete crypt top. It is a horrible look. Just saying. The first rendering adds a whole different feel and look to the renovation. My $0.02. Not going to argue with you on what I think looks classic versus what looks like crap 60's concrete architecture.

I get what you're saying. You would prefer they put the second level of stands in. I don't necessarily disagree. I just think they'll wait on that until they feel they can sell those seats. It's all academic anyway. We're looking at 10-15 years before any of this gets put into motion.

Back