What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Once Franklin field becomes the indoor facility then Balch will probably get demolished. Or maybe the facade retained with the seating and new press area penetrating into the old gym probably to about the mid roof line. Ive been in the those press boxes and the they are very narrow pressing right up against the east wall of Balch. You can tell it was very much a tight add on when the built it.

The other option is a cantilevered deck that over hangs the lower bowl. But that would still penetrate Balch as the 1/3 rule for cantilevering means for every 10' of extension (eastward) there is about 40' of support beam extending in the opposite direction (westward). If you walk under the east expansion and look up there are some cantilever systems at work there.

I know we're getting way ahead of ourselves, but I'd love to see them demolish not only Balch, but the majority of Carlson, too. Make that big staircase on the West end of Carlson a major entry point into the stadium complex itself.

There's a great deal of potential in that stadium complex. It could end up being an extremely cool facility. But again, it's going to cost a lot of money. I really would love to see the final product in my lifetime. Actually, I take that back. I hope there's never a "final product".

I reread it and the next to last paragraph he says "we will keep working toward our goal of one third of the funds to complete the project incliding the indoir practice facility". I don't think we have everything we need to build the IPF. JMHO. Pretty specific that they are still working to get to 1/3rd and beyond, plus he doesnt mention the IPF until he talks about raising more funds.

My take on that press release is unless more funds come in, only the new corner building is getting built. Sounds like they need more to start the IPF. Is that how you guys read that? I can understand that if so as RG had said many donors were holding back, not believing that anything would ever get built. So start on the first building to prove you are serious and use that to leverage more donations?

Everything in the video for phase 1 is what is being built starting May 12, including the IPF. Pretty sure we're just waiting on the medical center naming rights for the last chunk. The IPF isn't not being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything in the video for phase 1 is what is being built starting May 12, including the IPF. Pretty sure we're just waiting on the medical center naming rights for the last chunk. The IPF isn't not being built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anschutz has to be all over that.

According to the Buff Club magazine they "haven't focused any time on that (naming rights)."

The only reason the Med Center is named for him is that he donated a ton of cash for mental illness research due to a family member with the disease. He has no ties to CU other than he thought the Med School was a good choice to invest in research.

The only reason the Med Center is named for him is that he donated a ton of cash for mental illness research due to a family member with the disease. He has no ties to CU other than he thought the Med School was a good choice to invest in research.
I think Shldr and I were talking about the medical campus name itself, not Phil himself

one MusclePharm's founder is a CU grad and MP is a fast rising company and has already won multiple awards for best supplements in various areas, I'd love to see a deal worked out with them for some funding. CU has a contract will Muscle Milk so I'm not sure if that would violate the terms of that contract.

Brad Pyatt, Kentucky and UNC alum is the founder of MP. Joe Klopenstein, CU alum is a friend of his. I'm not sure if he is a partner or not. Anyway, I know the Pyatts and they give 0 flucks about CU. They are definitely wealthy but not $10MM donation wealthy. MP has a few lawsuits filed against them and mostly market to MMA.

Once Franklin field becomes the indoor facility then Balch will probably get demolished.

I doubt it until they get something else built that can help host indoor track events or even allow for indoor practices. I don't see jumping pits or necessary hard flooring needed for high jump, etc. in the new IPF plans at all. It would be great if that stuff is included, but the sketch ups don't show room for that stuff in addition to the field. I hope they figure something out, as it would be nice for it to be under one roof.

Pretty sure Balch and that area will be heavily renovated. What all that will include? I dunno. There's designs but those were from when Bohn was AD.

Brad Pyatt, Kentucky and UNC alum is the founder of MP. Joe Klopenstein, CU alum is a friend of his. I'm not sure if he is a partner or not. Anyway, I know the Pyatts and they give 0 flucks about CU. They are definitely wealthy but not $10MM donation wealthy. MP has a few lawsuits filed against them and mostly market to MMA.
I'd like to kick Pyatt in the nuts. BTW, he's the new HC at AWest.

I doubt it until they get something else built that can help host indoor track events or even allow for indoor practices. I don't see jumping pits or necessary hard flooring needed for high jump, etc. in the new IPF plans at all. It would be great if that stuff is included, but the sketch ups don't show room for that stuff in addition to the field. I hope they figure something out, as it would be nice for it to be under one roof.
Watching the video, they couldn't hold indoor meets in the IPF. There is no seating. Bummer. It'll still be great for the runners though. Year round practices. I think they can bring in portable pits for jumping. One thing that struck me is that it appears to have an elevated floor system. Interesting. I wonder what kind of "subfloor" will be under the field and track?

Watching the video, they couldn't hold indoor meets in the IPF.

That's not much of an issue, as hardly anyone sits up in the balcony at Balch. Most people watch from the floor and try not to get in the way of the meet.

I agree, and assume the IPF will be used for just that - practice.

Regarding portable pits - I haven't seen them at any respectable indoor meet. That doesn't mean they aren't used though.

Last edited:
Rick George said last week at a talk in Longmont that the IPF will host NCAA indoor track meets. The powerpoint presentation he used showed areas for the field events.

I'm a little concerned with RG's email. They will begin with the less expensive work. I get that. But he still makes it sound like the IPF is contingent on fund raising and that we are quite a way off from our goal in that area. I totally understand where he's coming from and believe he's handling it the right way. But the first 3rd of the funding was probably the easiest to get.

I guess its the old "Start building it and they will come."

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned with RG's email. They will begin with the less expensive work. I get that. But he still makes it sound like the IPF is contingent on fund raising and that we are quite a way off from our goal in that area. I totally understand where he's coming from and believe he's handling it the right way. But the first 3rd of the funding was probably the easiest to get.

Wouldn't be so sure on that one. He is on the record saying that the most common question keeping the people he has talked to from donating was the question on whether or not they would really build it. As soon as shovels hit the dirt, I bet you see a lot of those donors come around.

Wouldn't be so sure on that one. He is on the record saying that the most common question keeping the people he has talked to from donating was the question on whether or not they would really build it. As soon as shovels hit the dirt, I bet you see a lot of those donors come around.
Hope you are right. I know that is what RG is counting on.

I think Shldr and I were talking about the medical campus name itself, not Phil himself

Ah, ok. Still don't think so. I spend a lot of time on the medical campus and I've brought that point up to a few people and nobody even knows about it.

Anschutz has to be all over that.

I doubt it.

I have a bunch of info on this from the guys I work with, on this portion of the project it is not a med-center naming rights deal. The hospital or health group that takes the lead and names this will actually be leasing from CU and fully running the operations similar to the concessions contract, and like that contract it will come with a buy in. Currently there are three partners evaluating this and Anschutz is one. Although Phil's name is on the project in Denver as you said it is purely becuase he was the lead Donor that is a business and it would be the business that makes the decision to lease from CU and run the high performance center.

I guess its the old "Start building it and they will come."

My understanding is that private funding of 1/3rd the construction amount is needed up front. The remaining 2/3rds would be financed through bonds.

If that is indeed the plan, then the next question would be how much of that bond service is backed by P12 network, ticket sales, liscensing, university subsidy, and addictional rounds of private fund raising?

My understanding is that private funding of 1/3rd the construction amount is needed up front. The remaining 2/3rds would be financed through bonds.

If that is indeed the plan, then the next question would be how much of that bond service is backed by P12 network, ticket sales, liscensing, university subsidy, and addictional rounds of private fund raising?
Yeah, I hope fund raising becomes addictional!

Thanks for the bond explanation. Didn't think of that. Makes sense.

Last edited:
This latest drawing places the IPF on a North-South axis.

Based on the renderings posted above, here is my guesstimate on what this project looks like overlaid on Google Maps

yga3agu6.jpg

Trying to save more of Franklin Field pushes the ITP too close to Boulder Creek and involves a tremendous amount of excavating.

8ere3ezu.jpg

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-news/ci_25581705/cu-boulder-student-leaders-vote-field-swap-athletics

It looks like the athletic department is looking to swap land with CU's student government - who currently 'own' Franklin Field for the purpose of intramurals. Intramurals will get the 3 practice fields down by the creek, and then Franklin can be used for the IPF - but it looks really tight to me for fitting in full size football fields AND the IPF on that plot. Franklin is only ~115 yards wide.... so the IPF will have to be pushed quite far north to allow for enough space for a full length field running north/south . It will also be a little tight to have two football fields side by side (53 1/2 yards each) - they'd fit, but there would be almost no sideline space. The other alternative would be having two short football fields running east west, which is what UCLA has on campus due to space issues.

Last edited:
The IPF's ass will be hanging over the ledge where the recycling plant is right now so that there's more room.

Where's that parking lot gonna end up?

What they really should do is start purchasing properties between Colorado Ave and Arapahoe (between Folsom St and 28th) as a long-term expansion plan for the Main Campus.

That's long-term, though. To help solve the parking issue, they should take the flat lot on Colorado Ave and build another parking garage to go with the existing one.

What they really should do is start purchasing properties between Colorado Ave and Arapahoe (between Folsom St and 28th) as a long-term expansion plan for the Main Campus.

That's long-term, though. To help solve the parking issue, they should take the flat lot on Colorado Ave and build another parking garage to go with the existing one.

From what I hear CU is trying to get rid of parking on campus unless absolutely necessary.

From Skid's pic the IPF will displace that parking lot, which is the one where all the athletes/AD employees park

From what I hear CU is trying to get rid of parking on campus unless absolutely necessary.

From Skid's pic the IPF will displace that parking lot, which is the one where all the athletes/AD employees park

If they get rid of on-campus parking, it's going to be interesting to see what happens to the tailgate scene.

I could see a future where all the true tailgating happened at the South Campus sports complex lot and the only thing going on at the Main Campus was the IPF pre-game and corporate sponsored tents that go up on the Franklin Field football practice field.

At the recruiting luncheon, RG specifically stated that no tailgating spots would be lost on Franklin. I'm not sure how they expect to pull that off, but that's what he said. Maybe they're planning on putting in a parking garage under the facility? I dunno. I do know that they plan on opening up the IPF for pre-game activities. Maybe they'll allow people to park in there.

Back