What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

No I think it is great the way it is but let's not remove one of 2 roads into campus. How is driving around worse because there is a road there? Once again you can't completely close a campus to cars, they are used and needed every day.
I think where you and I are just going to disagree is that you believe access to campus requires roads cutting through the middle of it - I don't. CU's walkability and beautiful pedestrian areas, paths, trees, and architecture are what make it special to me - I'm ok making it slightly less convenient for vehicles in order to create a special place that students, faculty, visitors, and alumni can enjoy and program with awesome outdoor events.

As someone who drove a truck for catering my 4 years in school at CU, and made countless deliveries to Benson, Duane, Muenzinger, Folsom itself, Libby and Baker, Math 100 and the ECCR building of the Engineering center. None of that would be possible without Colorado Ave, Facilities management literally parks their entire fleet there under Folsom. Trash trucks, buff bus, CUPD and The Hop, Stampede, J all use that all day continuously...that's at least 5 departments in CU, and 3 for the city of Boulder that are disrupted immediately. During things like Conference on World affairs where the average walking ability of attendees is very low the hop driving right up to some of those buildings is very vital...just no way that road is going anywhere.

I think where you and I are just going to disagree is that you believe access to campus requires roads cutting through the middle of it - I don't. CU's walkability and beautiful pedestrian areas, paths, trees, and architecture are what make it special to me - I'm ok making it slightly less convenient for vehicles in order to create a special place that students, faculty, visitors, and alumni can enjoy and program with awesome outdoor events.

The walkability of campus is fantastic when you don't have to be somewhere. Students need that street and the buses that use it in order to get to class on time.

Actually I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am just saying that the ONE road that cuts through the middle of campus is vital for many reasons and cann't just be removed. CU's campus is already great for walking, biking, etc. but that doesn't mean that what is already there isn't necessary. I am not asking to add more roads and open it up, just to leave what is already in place. There is already many open spaces for students and faculty to enjoy so it's not a huge need.

The walkability of campus is fantastic when you don't have to be somewhere. Students need that street and the buses that use it in order to get to class on time.
It's a 15 minute walk from the Hale science building completely across campus to the Business School, and less on a bike so I don't buy that we need a bus to get people to their classes on time. There are a half dozen other roads that connect to different spots all over campus if you're coming from off campus - if you can't make it to class on time, that's bad time and schedule management.

As it stands now, Colorado is restricted access most of the time anyway. Move the gate 50 yards East, build the plaza and restrict vehicular access to deliveries, busses and emergency vehicles.

Actually I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am just saying that the ONE road that cuts through the middle of campus is vital for many reasons and cann't just be removed. CU's campus is already great for walking, biking, etc. but that doesn't mean that what is already there isn't necessary. I am not asking to add more roads and open it up, just to leave what is already in place. There is already many open spaces for students and faculty to enjoy so it's not a huge need.
Maybe so but as CU looks to compete for top students into the future, there is a huge emphasis on the experience on campus so we would be wise to look for opportunities to improve student life and encourage engagement on campus. Our pep rallys are held on Pearl Street, does that engage current students? The central artery of campus is a road that most people can't even access, that seems wasteful. I know there are logistical issues you'd have to deal with and maybe they make it not feasible, but you could do something really special there that the entire school could enjoy. I'm ok if that meant people had to walk a few hundred more yards from a bus stop.

It's a 15 minute walk from the Hale science building completely across campus to the Business School, and less on a bike so I don't buy that we need a bus to get people to their classes on time. There are a half dozen other roads that connect to different spots all over campus if you're coming from off campus - if you can't make it to class on time, that's bad time and schedule management.

You know there is a whole East campus right? And a huge number of dorms at 30th and Baseline? You also know, that as a public institution, CU is required to provide easy access for those with disabilities to get around?

So yeah, telling a bunch of students to schlep over from regent so we can have a plaza of some sort is just stupid - we have Norlin, Farrand, the UMC, the C4C.... there isn't really any need.

Student's passing period is 10minutes to get there so you are helping prove my point. Also from Hale to the B School is faster on foot and by bike because it is downhill. Takes longer going the other direction.

Student's passing period is 10minutes to get there so you are helping prove my point. Also from Hale to the B School is faster on foot and by bike because it is downhill. Takes longer going the other direction.
The Hop runs every 9-15 minutes and really doesn't go anywhere near Hale or the business school so tell me how Colorado Blvd helps get kids across campus faster?

You know there is a whole East campus right? And a huge number of dorms at 30th and Baseline? You also know, that as a public institution, CU is required to provide easy access for those with disabilities to get around?

So yeah, telling a bunch of students to schlep over from regent so we can have a plaza of some sort is just stupid - we have Norlin, Farrand, the UMC, the C4C.... there isn't really any need.
Great and they could drop those students taking the bus at the UMC - every building on the main campus is within a 10 minute walk of the UMC.

The Hop runs every 9-15 minutes and really doesn't go anywhere near Hale or the business school so tell me how Colorado Blvd helps get kids across campus faster?
Well plenty of kids bike or skateboard that road and haul ass, the corner is also where I saw the majority of bike crashes so if they got rid of that I would be mad as hell lol. But the Buff bus from Will Ville drops kids right of at that corner which is right in the heart of campus.

Guys, guys, guys... there is an easy solution. The busses keep going through the plaza. No big deal. Everybody gets what they want.

Well plenty of kids bike or skateboard that road and haul ass, the corner is also where I saw the majority of bike crashes so if they got rid of that I would be mad as hell lol. But the Buff bus from Will Ville drops kids right of at that corner which is right in the heart of campus.
Yeah, that's why I think they should just narrow the road to a one way, allow bus and EMV access only. Best of both worlds.

The engineering center has a stop in each direction

@SINKRATZ the hop runs every 15, the buff bus runs every 5.
Right and if you're concerned about getting across campus in 10 minutes between classes, then waiting for a bus that doesn't really get you all that close to your class seems unhelpful.

The Buff bus stop at the engineering school is on Regent, not Colorado. The only Buff bus stop you'd have to lose is the one in front of Duane which is a 4 minute walk from the UMC stop.

Right and if you're concerned about getting across campus in 10 minutes between classes, then waiting for a bus that doesn't really get you all that close to your class seems unhelpful.

The Buff bus stop at the engineering school is on Regent, not Colorado. The only Buff bus stop you'd have to lose is the one in front of Duane which is a 4 minute walk from the UMC stop.

The current route is in red, the proposed route is in blue.

upload_2017-7-20_11-53-18.png

The Buff bus counter clockwise route takes like 2 min from the EC to Duane because it deals only briefly with roads outside of university control.

On the proposed route you now involve, Broadway, Baseline, and 36. It isn't going to work.

Are we really going to base campus planning on those knuckleheads who can't or won't avoid scheduling classes one after the other. Jesus, next you'll tell me we have to worry about the students who schedule classes on Fridays.

The current route is in red, the proposed route is in blue.

View attachment 23085

The Buff bus counter clockwise route takes like 2 min from the EC to Duane because it deals only briefly with roads outside of university control.

On the proposed route you now involve, Broadway, Baseline, and 36. It isn't going to work.
Who is proposing that route? Just go up Regent to the 18th / Euclid loop in front of the UMC and go back the way you came in.

If the bus re-routes in front of Wardenburg, it will be easier to gawk and speculate on who needs help with the droop and drip.

There is a major stop in front of Muenzinger, and the Music School.....

Back