What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

God , no. That road is vital for students getting to campus
No it's not, at least not that section. There's no parking on the street and the only lots by Duane and Benson are accessible from Libby Dr. That section is already gated and one way (except buses).

No it's not, at least not that section. There's no parking on the street and the only lots by Duane and Benson are accessible from Libby Dr. That section is already gated and one way (except buses).
And the buses are why it is vital.

And the buses are why it is vital.
This is why I think you'd have to create a way through by linking Stadium Dr to University Ave by going around the back of Folsom Field & the Rec Center. Could be part of the creek development they need to do anyway.

I really like the idea of a plaza in front of Folsom.

Only way I would be down to add more seats above the south side and **** up on of the only ways through campus is if blob seating is added above it to match the side as well.

It is the only route through campus that is adequate size for buses and delivery vehicles. Just can't get to some of those buildings without Colorado Ave.

You can always build over the street. I mean this stadium has 4 lanes of traffic going under its seating.

vicente-calderon-the-home-stadium-of-atletico-madrid-with-its-unique-picture-id525925668

Is that target field??

We aren't close to selling out the cheap seats we have, not a great demand for more.

I still favor the idea of taking out that ridiculous west side press box and creating a two deck arrangement there with additional premium seating.

After that if we start to sell closer to capacity I see no problem with building over the street, as others have shown it isn't exactly in insurmountable challenge.

Game days that street is effectively closed anyways. Building over it (maybe lowering the street level at that point) could create a very cool point of entry to the stadium with the advantage of some shade and weather protection. The now less restricted street could be a great point for discharging fans from buses from further parking areas (more parking needed if crowd size increases) and/or mass transit options.

Some of the area below the new stands could even be developed into a new mini-retail area serving not only game days but also appealing to students on normal campus days. This could generate additional revenue for the AD and the school if done right.

We aren't close to selling out the cheap seats we have, not a great demand for more.

I still favor the idea of taking out that ridiculous west side press box and creating a two deck arrangement there with additional premium seating.

After that if we start to sell closer to capacity I see no problem with building over the street, as others have shown it isn't exactly in insurmountable challenge.

Game days that street is effectively closed anyways. Building over it (maybe lowering the street level at that point) could create a very cool point of entry to the stadium with the advantage of some shade and weather protection. The now less restricted street could be a great point for discharging fans from buses from further parking areas (more parking needed if crowd size increases) and/or mass transit options.

Some of the area below the new stands could even be developed into a new mini-retail area serving not only game days but also appealing to students on normal campus days. This could generate additional revenue for the AD and the school if done right.
The seats we're having trouble selling out are not the cheap seats. The tough ones are the 100 level in the top 15 or so rows that cost as much as being in row #1.

Take Regent to Broadway to a loop on 18th/Euclid. That puts you right in front of the UMC, it's not that difficult.
You know what is hard? blocking one of 3 roads into a campus of over 30,000 students to make room for more football seats for a team that had its first sell out in 10 years this past season. Have fun trying to convince anyone with a brain that is a good idea when the west side of the stadium has plenty of room with a building that is never used anymore.

The campus is already a massive pain in the ass to get around and that road is blocked during the day to allow for students to get around in a timely matter not to mention all of the schools vehicles that need to use it. This isn't just buff buses that are going through, it is rtd public transportation.

Sure. I agree with that but if doing so costs (I'm just throwing stuff out here) 10 million and you want those to be cheap seats?

$40/ticket x 5000 seats x 6 games x 10 years = 12 million.

Our architect friends can weigh in here but the 10 million tab I put on it is rather conservative, I would think.

And it's assumed in my math, the new upper deck would sell out all 5k seats for 10 years.

Tough task.

I like the west/northwest expansion a lot better.
As an architect I can tell you I don't really know, but I am sure it will be significantly higher than that.

Take Regent to Broadway to a loop on 18th/Euclid. That puts you right in front of the UMC, it's not that difficult.
Yeah, that sucks.

I'm open to change, but that road is critical to campus, and closing down for the football stadium is foolish... Not to.mention they just invested some cash into the road recently

You know what is hard? blocking one of 3 roads into a campus of over 30,000 students to make room for more football seats for a team that had its first sell out in 10 years this past season. Have fun trying to convince anyone with a brain that is a good idea when the west side of the stadium has plenty of room with a building that is never used anymore.

The campus is already a massive pain in the ass to get around and that road is blocked during the day to allow for students to get around in a timely matter not to mention all of the schools vehicles that need to use it. This isn't just buff buses that are going through, it is rtd public transportation.
Yeah, that sucks.

I'm open to change, but that road is critical to campus, and closing down for the football stadium is foolish... Not to.mention they just invested some cash into the road recently
Where did I suggest expanding the football stadium? That road is so critical to getting students on campus that they close it down during the day. There are plenty other connections to the campus (Folsom, Colorado, Regent, 18th, Euclid, University, Stadium Drive).

But fine, if your bus routes are sacred, then get rid of Balch and wrap Stadium drive around Folsom connecting it to Colorado. Close Colorado between Folsom and the new Stadium Drive connection. Create a plaza on that closed section of Colorado then extend it down the current walkway linking Folsom Field to Farrand Field.

What college isn't a massive pain in the neck to get around?

I think the beyond that, emergency vehicle access would be the biggest reason closing that road is a non-starter.
That area is plenty wide enough to still allow emergency vehicles access. There are pedestrian walkways all over the place that double as EVA.

What college isn't a massive pain in the neck to get around?
Plenty of schools are way easier to get around. CU has made it hard as hell to get in and out of campus by limiting the parking and roads. There are only two roads that go though campus, regent and Colorado so closing one of those would be a nightmare. Having everything close together is what makes the CU campus so amazing but it makes it a huge pain in the ass compared to other schools like CSU for instance that has a ton of wide open space and roads everywhere.

Plenty of schools are way easier to get around. CU has made it hard as hell to get in and out of campus by limiting the parking and roads. There are only two roads that go though campus, regent and Colorado so closing one of those would be a nightmare. Having everything close together is what makes the CU campus so amazing but it makes it a huge pain in the ass compared to other schools like CSU for instance that has a ton of wide open space and roads everywhere.
So do you want it more open with more roads like CSU? CU may be a hassle to drive around, but it's great to walk/bike around and I'd argue that driving around is worse because there's a road there. Remove the road and you're no longer fighting pedestrians, bikes, gates, and speed bumps to drive through the center of campus. The campus, as you pointed out, is very compact - it's not that difficult to get around unless you're trying to drive so wouldn't we want to discourage more cars there?

Where did I suggest expanding the football stadium? That road is so critical to getting students on campus that they close it down during the day. There are plenty other connections to the campus (Folsom, Colorado, Regent, 18th, Euclid, University, Stadium Drive).

But fine, if your bus routes are sacred, then get rid of Balch and wrap Stadium drive around Folsom connecting it to Colorado. Close Colorado between Folsom and the new Stadium Drive connection. Create a plaza on that closed section of Colorado then extend it down the current walkway linking Folsom Field to Farrand Field.
All of this pointless work for a plaza? They close down Colorado to the public not the school, there are tons of buses, permitted cars and university vehicles that use it. Not to mention this is where the majority of students go to get around on their bikes, skateboard, etc.

So do you want it more open with more roads like CSU? CU may be a hassle to drive around, but it's great to walk/bike around and I'd argue that driving around is worse because there's a road there. Remove the road and you're no longer fighting pedestrians, bikes, gates, and speed bumps to drive through the center of campus. The campus, as you pointed out, is very compact - it's not that difficult to get around unless you're trying to drive so wouldn't we want to discourage more cars there?
No I think it is great the way it is but let's not remove one of 2 roads into campus. How is driving around worse because there is a road there? Once again you can't completely close a campus to cars, they are used and needed every day.

I don't really care about easy car access to campus. I don't want CUs campus to resemble CSUs in any way, shape or form and I'm slightly offended that comp was even brought up.

If they must keep bus access, they should just make it like 16th street in Denver, where the roads are narrow, but still usable, and build/landscape a plaza kind of area around it. Or just make it a one way from Euclid to Folsom and chop it down to one lane for busses only and build around the increased space.

I don't really care about easy car access to campus. I don't want CUs campus to resemble CSUs in any way, shape or form and I'm slightly offended that comp was even brought up.

If they must keep bus access, they should just make it like 16th street in Denver, where the roads are narrow, but still usable, and build/landscape a plaza kind of area around it. Or just make it a one way from Euclid to Folsom and chop it down to one lane for busses only and build around the increased space.
Perfect, build a plaza that cars and buses can go through on non gamedays.

Back