What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

FCS opponent for Spring Game

nannybumpkins

On ESPNU radio this morning there was a hypothetical discussion on removing all FCS games from Power 5 OOC schedules. In order to help fund FCS school athletics though, they would have a Spring Game against FCS teams. That would increase revenue from Spring Game and remove the "gimmick", while allowing good practice for back-ups against actual opponents. Also, a FCS matchup doesn't sell tickets in regular season, but football starved fans may fork it out in April to get an idea of the upcoming year. I wanted to hear the opinion from AllBuffs on this. Is it worth the risk of injury? What FCS team would you want to see CU play in April? Would it even work for the Buffs in Boulder? Is it a stupid question that didn't warrant a thread? etc.

Is it possible for a mod to move this thread to the Football message board? Didn't mean to clutter up the recruiting central

I would hate to see the coaches give anything away in a scrimmage. Gotta keep everything under wraps.
That's a fair point, I suppose I figured they would stick to a simple scheme, much like the current spring game. But I guess that could get bad fast if the scheme failed and the FCS team started winning.

Thanks by the way to whoever moved the thread!

That's a fair point, I suppose I figured they would stick to a simple scheme, much like the current spring game. But I guess that could get bad fast if the scheme failed and the FCS team started winning.

Thanks by the way to whoever moved the thread!
Duff is being extremely sarcastic (I think).

I would love it as well. Not sure I'd want a full on game in the Spring that included all Special Teams stuff, but an offensive and defensive scrimmage would be awesome. Every level of football basically does it, except college.

I'm not too keen on the Fall preseason game, but would like to see joint practices during Fall Camp like the NFL does during TC. Have a conference member that you don't play during the regular season come to town and open practices up to the public for relatively cheap like an NFL training camp.

I would love it as well. Not sure I'd want a full on game in the Spring that included all Special Teams stuff, but an offensive and defensive scrimmage would be awesome.

Gotcha, in hindsight that's pretty clear now and I've been on here long enough to have known better.

I see a common trend of concern for depth on the roster that I'm not sure all other teams have. Our QB situation is one that really stands out. But then again, with almost no real game snaps how can we know our depth accurately? I think a game in April, say against Northern Colorado, would give us a pretty accurate depiction of who we can trust to make throws and who we can't...unless the coaches decided CU business as usual and kept QB1 in and ran the ball over and over...not sure I'd pay for a ticket to see that

Mike Macintyre is going to be really pissed if this happens!

Kidding aside, I absolutely love this idea. Think it gives coaches an opportunity to see what they have a little more with a different team. I doubt anything would ever materialize, but great idea.

Combine this and nik's idea
I have 2 main reasons for my suggestion.

First, I think it's a revenue generator that would also lead to the team being more prepared for the opener. Too often we hear about so much improvement happening between weeks 1 and 2 -- following a week 1 with really wonky stuff happening on special teams, protections, turnovers, etc. because teams are simply not ready to face a live opponent.

Second, I think that what's going on currently is leading us down a path where it's going to be harder for FCS programs to remain financially viable. They need that $500k or more that P5 programs pay them to come to their stadium and be a punching bag. But those games are awful for P5 attendance and media value. This is a way to save the FCS financially while improving P5 finances at the same time.

I'd love this. The spring game was way better than when MM ran it but it still sucked ass. Montez looked like he wasn't even trying, that or he's just a horrible QB.

I would love it as well. Not sure I'd want a full on game in the Spring that included all Special Teams stuff, but an offensive and defensive scrimmage would be awesome. Every level of football basically does it, except college.

I'm not too keen on the Fall preseason game, but would like to see joint practices during Fall Camp like the NFL does during TC. Have a conference member that you don't play during the regular season come to town and open practices up to the public for relatively cheap like an NFL training camp.

I'd favor a full game. The whole game matters, practice it.

It would also mean that those players who are going to be your principle special teams players or back-ups get a chance to play.

For the FCS kids it's a chance to find out how they really match up with BCS level players. Lots of them have in the back of their minds that they weren't respected and belong at a higher level.

For the BCS level players it is another chance to play in a game. These guys work at football year around including S&C time in part because they love the game. Reward them with a chance to get time wearing their team uniforms in front of a crowd playing real game.

I'd favor a full game. The whole game matters, practice it.

It would also mean that those players who are going to be your principle special teams players or back-ups get a chance to play.

For the FCS kids it's a chance to find out how they really match up with BCS level players. Lots of them have in the back of their minds that they weren't respected and belong at a higher level.

For the BCS level players it is another chance to play in a game. These guys work at football year around including S&C time in part because they love the game. Reward them with a chance to get time wearing their team uniforms in front of a crowd playing real game.
Special Teams is an area that has a lot of potential for injury and is easily workable in practice. It’s why they don’t do it in the Spring Game and why you don’t see it worked in NFL joint practices.

Adding a full contact game is not the reward you believe it to be, Mtn. It adds unneeded injury potential and wear and tear to the body that is already going through 12-14 games. Btw, weren’t you fully against more NFL games? Why against that but for more college games?

Also, BCS hasn’t been a thing in a long time. Can you grow up and start referring to it as P5 like the rest of the country?

Special Teams is an area that has a lot of potential for injury and is easily workable in practice. It’s why they don’t do it in the Spring Game and why you don’t see it worked in NFL joint practices.

Adding a full contact game is not the reward you believe it to be, Mtn. It adds unneeded injury potential and wear and tear to the body that is already going through 12-14 games. Btw, weren’t you fully against more NFL games? Why against that but for more college games?

Also, BCS hasn’t been a thing in a long time. Can you grow up and start referring to it as P5 like the rest of the country?

Last one first. The official designation for the top level of college football is Bowl Championship Series, that is still on the NCAA web site. As far as the NCAA is concerned P5 and G5 schools are in the same classification, FCS schools are the next classification down.

And yes there is some potential for injury in special teams but it is still a part of the game. If it is too dangerous take it out of the game entirely. Until then you still practice them, players still play on them, let those players get some playing time with a crowd cheering them on.

If you are worried about wear and tear on the bodies use your depth guys, even go to the scout squad guys. These guys bust tails year around preparing to play football, let them play some football.

The NFL comparison is not valid. In the NFL you are talking about reducing the practice games (like this would be) and replacing them with games that count. You would also be adding significantly to the burden on a limited roster.

Last one first. The official designation for the top level of college football is Bowl Championship Series, that is still on the NCAA web site. As far as the NCAA is concerned P5 and G5 schools are in the same classification, FCS schools are the next classification down.

You mean FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision), not BCS.

I mean, my pops still refers to it as 1-A and 1-AA.
I still do that sometimes.

Although I’m not sure why it’s not D1 for FBS, D2 for FCS, and then the others becoming D3 & D4. Probably politically driven, like most things that don’t make a lot of sense.

I still do that sometimes.

Although I’m not sure why it’s not D1 for FBS, D2 for FCS, and then the others becoming D3 & D4. Probably politically driven, like most things that don’t make a lot of sense.

Completely politically driven. These schools want to be able to tell their fans and donors that they are playing in the top division.

It is also for the most part strictly a football division. The FBS schools compete for the same championships in most other sports. The Big Sky and the other FCS leagues have their autobid for the NCAA D1 Basketball tournaments, men and women, Track and Field, Volleyball, and most other sports they are seen as being the same level.

From a practical standpoint they aren't. The Big Sky and the ACC are not playing the same level of basketball but officially they are.

I would hate to see the coaches give anything away in a scrimmage. Gotta keep everything under wraps.
I'm with nanny(?) on this one. You shouldn't need to break out super sexy new stuff in the spring to beat a FCS team. Run the previous year's offense and you should be fine.

There is an argument to be made that if the FCS team schemed for 4 months and happened to play balls out in the spring you could lose, and that would suck...

There is an argument to be made that if the FCS team schemed for 4 months and happened to play balls out in the spring you could lose, and that would suck...
That’s part of the fun! Imagine sportscenter after Savannah State upsets someone like Auburn in the spring game and their preseason AP stock plummets all because of a fluke, probably fun, televised game.

Alright, the AP voters probably wouldn’t care since it’s backups, but you get what I’m saying. I’d love to watch something like that.

I'd love this.

I'd also like to see a fall "Preseason Game" on the schedule against an FCS opponent 1 or 2 weeks before the season. Make it part of the season ticket package like the NFL does, but don't count the result.
I like the fall game idea a lot, not for spring practice though. Every year we hear " yes we are so ready to hit someone else" Perfect time to play unc, vs the season.

I like the idea of a spring scrimmage(s) verses other teams (FCS) and then a first fall game against another FCS team that is not posted on the season record. More football! Excellent opportunities for practice and to stretch those competitive muscles a bit.

Back