What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

February 6th Signing Day Big Board & Recruiting News

“Put in context.” It’s as if nobody actually reads anything anyone else says around here. I like the class and you can “put it in context” if that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. But, I’ll just stick to reality that we have to be better to get better. Tucker understands this, he came from Georgia and understands the importance.

Good pieces here, some good players, large lineman, there’s stuff to like. But it still isn’t even close to where we have to be transition class or not.
I guess I don’t understand what you expected out of this class? From a staff that doesn’t have anything on tape to sell recruits? That we have no idea how they are going to play? Yes, I honestly do believe the classes will get better. Yes, they need to get better. But THIS class was about as good as I could expect.

This staff will not have anything on tape to sell recruits until September. They cannot exactly just pause 2020 recruiting for 6-7 months.

I guess I don’t understand what you expected out of this class? From a staff that doesn’t have anything on tape to sell recruits? That we have no idea how they are going to play? Yes, I honestly do believe the classes will get better. Yes, they need to get better. But THIS class was about as good as I could expect.

I’m not knocking the class or MT, I like both. What I’ve been saying from the beginning is that for too long I’ve played the goal post moving game. I get your point, it’s logical but a lot of us are done making up reasons as to why we should be content with the classes we’ve had. I’m not going to start saying, “oh it’s really good as a transition class!” I’m just kind of done with that game. It’s a C for me and I’m not overly critical over it with the circumstances but next year the heat is on for a “no excuses” program.

My belief in MT is so high I gave the school like $1,100 something to be there for every game. I just want us to be better, it’s been too long.

This staff will not have anything on tape to sell recruits until September. They cannot exactly just pause 2020 recruiting for 6-7 months.
Sell recruits until December. Close the deal(s) after they've seen the season play out. On field performance can definitely help the 2020 class. No one is talking about pausing.

Sell recruits until December. Close the deal(s) after they've seen the season play out. On field performance can definitely help the 2020 class. No one is talking about pausing.

Not saying it cannot help, but there are going to be many commits before the season starts. You cannot wait to close all deals after the season starts. Recruiting for 2020 hits overdrive in April/May.

Not saying it cannot help, but there are going to be many commits before the season starts. You cannot wait to close all deals after the season starts. Recruiting for 2020 hits overdrive in April/May.
Think we're saying the same thing. Work hard recruiting through the season, perform well on the field, finish strong. Recipe for success.

Think we're saying the same thing. Work hard recruiting through the season, perform well on the field, finish strong. Recipe for success.

I was responding to a post saying you cannot expect recruits to commit without seeing on-field play, which is at odds with the college football recruiting calendar. Of course you expect 2020 players to commit before the season.

The actual on-field play can help finish strong, but a lot of the real work is done before August.

I was responding to a post saying you cannot expect recruits to commit without seeing on-field play, which is at odds with the college football recruiting calendar. Of course you expect 2020 players to commit before the season.

The actual on-field play can help finish strong, but a lot of the real work is done before August.
Gotcha....agreed.

And I will say I hope Tucker really emphasizes in-season recruiting because it is important. MM kinda did pause recruiting for most of the in-season months.
Well, if he does what he says he's going to do, there's no day off for recruiting. Let's hope that's the case. Nothing that I've seen to this point suggests otherwise.

I think it’s kinda silly to put this class in a vacuum and not factor in the recruiting job Mel had to do to create the best new coaching staff that we’ve had in 25 years. There’s been 6 new staffs in that time and the other 5 were not nearly as accomplished prior to CU. Everybody new has to be recruited. I care more about getting Kapilovic or even poaching Martzen from UCLA than a transition class being ranked in the 30s instead of the 40s.

However, I’m also disappointed with Kapilovic’s results more than anyone. He’s got a great track record of producing legit NFL players. He’s been acknowledged for producing top notch OLs by neutral parties. I had my hopes up for a grad transfer OL.

And I will say I hope Tucker really emphasizes in-season recruiting because it is important. MM kinda did pause recruiting for most of the in-season months.
There's a 247 report on UCLA's recruiting that essentially rips their process. It appears that Chip Kelly either doesn't give a crap, or he did not build an infrastructure to do recruiting. And it suggests they took the season off, trying to get back to recruits in December.

Early signs from Tucker is they are building a much different organization, and getting the 2020 offers out. I especially like the hire of Cordae Hankton as a Q/C coach. He can and will be recruiting, every day. Check out his twitter. I would expect we will see a lot of Louisiana interest this year if he's doing what I think he was brought in to do.

I think it’s kinda silly to put this class in a vacuum and not factor in the recruiting job Mel had to do to create the best new coaching staff that we’ve had in 25 years. There’s been 6 new staffs in that time and the other 5 were not nearly as accomplished prior to CU. Everybody new has to be recruited. I care more about getting Kapilovic or even poaching Martzen from UCLA than a transition class being ranked in the 30s instead of the 40s.

However, I’m also disappointed with Kapilovic’s results more than anyone. He’s got a great track record of producing legit NFL players. He’s been acknowledged for producing top notch OLs by neutral parties. I had my hopes up for a grad transfer OL.

The grad transfer market is just heating up. You are giving up too early there.

Relentless All Day Everyday! That is all coach T says I'm not sure what part of this is so hard to understand! Everything I've seen seems to back
up his statements, did I miss something to the contrary? I think recruiting is going to take off and we will look back and laugh at ourselves for worring
about if the staff is working at recruiting.

The grad transfer market is just heating up. You are giving up too early there.

Fair enough. I looked at the transfer portal on 247 before I posted that and it seemed like there were still a few grad OLs who were available but most were committed. Now you got my hopes up again.

Fair enough. I looked at the transfer portal on 247 before I posted that and it seemed like there were still a few grad OLs who were available but most were committed. Now you got my hopes up again.
Expect a steady stream of entries throughout the Spring, and even into summer.
And of course, all those commitments are non-binding as we so painfully learned.

There's a 247 report on UCLA's recruiting that essentially rips their process. It appears that Chip Kelly either doesn't give a crap, or he did not build an infrastructure to do recruiting. And it suggests they took the season off, trying to get back to recruits in December.

Chip is not the same coach that Oregon had. He’s never liked recruiting and he inherited a well-oiled machine on that front at Nike University. UCLA recruits itself to a degree but, you still have to build a recruiting structure. Putting Chip in charge of that is like putting a lego building champion in charge of building an actual skyscraper.

After that first season with the Eagles, all the positive attention got to his head and he became a full-fledged megalomaniac with fatal dogmatic principles. It’s truly a gift that we have at least a couple more years of UCLA going in the wrong direction.

The kids these days have no memory of Chip's glory days at Oregon. His coaching stints since then have resulted in mediocre-to-bad results.

Assuming a PWO. If so looks like a good one

He has more size than some of the guys we have had in the program for years and he looks like he likes to push people around.

Can see why he didn't get P5 scholly offers. Short arms, a little slow of foot but at center he could overcome those.

Buffs picked up an in-state walk-on QB today with Cherokee Trail's Grant Ciccarone. Good size (6'3" 212) and was pretty efficient as a passer within his school's run-focused offense, making all-conference. Pocket passer who completed about 63% with 14.5 yards per completion and 12 TDs to 4 INTs as a senior. Hardly played as a junior, which certainly limited his recruiting.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/gra...Eea-8KA2nzwbTA/gendersport/football-stats.htm

More on Ciccarone

Back