What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Final Playoff Rankings Thread

Who should be the last one in?

• Alabama

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • USC

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • UCF

Votes: 13 16.0%

• Total voters
One thing I'd like to give kudos for is that having a 4-team playoff is such an improvement.

If it was BCS era, we'd be debating whether Clemson, Georgia or Oklahoma should get screwed out of a shot to win the title.

And I think this is the best argument to go from 4 to 8. Splitting hairs at 4 and screwing a team is better than it was to split hairs at 2 and screw a team. Splitting hairs at 8 instead of 4 would be even better in terms of making sure we got all the teams in who are reasonably deserving based on their regular season and have a reasonable shot at winning the tournament.

Absolutely, are you serious? Don't forget, FSU still had their starting QB in that Alabama game. He went down in the 4th quarter when they were already down 24-7.
That's a FSU team that lost 35-3 to Boston College. Ohio State won a national championship with its 3rd string QB. FSU was not very good this year regardless.

Yeah but what do those records look like if they only include P5 teams they actually beat?
That's a great question. On top of that, the B1G is the only conference that didn't have a single Top 25 non-conference win this season.

I don't think any non-conference champs should get in. But the committee has already shown that they don't always care about that, just see Ohio State and Penn State last year.

Alabama is one of the best teams in the country every year. They're ranked 5 in the most recent poll. They're getting in, no matter what we think of it.
No argument that Alabama is one of the best teams every year, but this year they haven't demonstrated top 4 IMO, besides not even playing for the conference title. As someone stated, if we want to let in non-conference champs, expand to 8 teams.

That's a FSU team that lost 35-3 to Boston College. Ohio State won a national championship with its 3rd string QB. FSU was not very good this year regardless.
They lost their starting QB in the first game of the season, that's a huge blow, how do you know if they would have been any good?

They lost their starting QB in the first game of the season, that's a huge blow, how do you know if they would have been any good?

Losing a starting QB should not turn a season into a disaster if the team is any good.

Losing a starting QB should not turn a season into a disaster if the team is any good.
Maybe, and I'm not going to defend the SEC only playing 8 conference games, that's terrible. But I also appreciate when teams schedule marquee matchups. Alabama scheduled Florida State (which I think was a #1 vs #2 matchup when they played), then had 2 decent G5 teams and one serious cupcake.

So what's worse - Alabama having one less conference game and filling that slot with Mercer, or Ohio State not having that extra cupcake, but losing twice? Alabama won it's only decent OOC game on a neutral sure and Ohio State lost theirs badly at home.

I just can't get past Ohio State having 2 ugly losses.

Heat on Larry Scott from Pac-12 folks is ratcheting up after this, too (USC publisher of its 247 site):

Hold on, one of those G5 teams on Alabama's schedule that you're discounting was a top 25 team at least until yesterday (Fresno State). Playing 6-6 Texas is a "real" game, but playing a 9-win Fresno State team that was a top 25 program the last week of the season isn't?

The ONLY reason Fresno State was still ranked by the committee late in the season was because they were pumping up the rankings of all of Alabama's opponents to justify putting them in.

Back