What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

But the G5 programs outside of a few aren't recruiting in the top 50 (Cincinnati and Memphis were the only ones last cycle at 45 and 47 respectively). SDSU was 62, Boise was 67, Fresno State was 72, Nevada 86, and Montana 198th. A few of those teams actually out recruited Arizona, and were basically the same as CU, so yes, those programs are recruiting at a level similar to the bottom end of the Pac 12.

Oregon - 6
Cal - 28
UCLA - 31
Washington 37

You're telling me there's a similar talent level between Oregon/UCLA and Fresno State?? Between Cal and Nevada? Washington and Montana?

Again, G5/FCS programs who play one P5 program a year will SOMETIMES have a great gameplan and "get up" enough to pull off the upset. None of them, outside of Cincinnati, UCF, maybe Boise, would make a bowl game in the Pac 12.

As for Iowa State, Campbell has won 3, 8, 8, 7, and 9 games in his five years there. That's impressive for Iowa State, but they were a trendy pick for the CFP this year and will likely fall well short. They got manhandled against Iowa and barely beat Northern Iowa.

Talent will ALWAYS win out in the long run in college football. If Campbell stays, he might have them in the 7-8 win/year range consistently with this level of recruiting and coaching his balls off, but he's not going to sustain 9-10 wins and become some perennial power. It's why he's likely to leave after this season.

Two things-The talent discrepancy between Fresno and Cincinnati (to name a couple) and the power 5's those two have or will play (I'd be surprised if Notre Dame works Cincy) is a lot closer than your average G5's. Two, Campbell is still waiting for a Michigan type gig to open before he leaves Ames. I don't see him at USC.

A number of schools like to say they are the "Cradle of Coaches"

If CU fires KD after 2, CU will be the "Killer of Coaches"

Buyout after 2021 season (technically before December 31, 2021): $7.5 million
Buyout after 2022 season: $5 million

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

RG needs some work on contract negotiations.

And Mike MacIntyre's reported buyout at the time of his firing was higher than that $7.5M buyout. What's the number for after December 31st to before the end of the 2022 season?

I'm expecting a new coaching staff for 2023 and hopefully RG puts in a clause that losing to Nebraska & Scott Frost is one of those "with cause" provisions.

Tom Herman is currently an offensive analyst for the Bears. Find $1.5M for him next year as OC and hope he sticks around long enough to have a shot at him taking over for Dorrell in 2023.
Lol, that would be awesome but I can't imagine Dorrell would even think about bringing that kind of guy into the program. High profile, tons of recent college experience at big time programs, decently successful. He would completely overshadow KD.

Lol, that would be awesome but I can't imagine Dorrell would even think about bringing that kind of guy into the program. High profile, tons of recent college experience at big time programs, decently successful. He would completely overshadow KD.
Here's the crazy thing:

I, and I think many CU fans, would actually have *more* respect for KD if he did that.

Here's the crazy thing:

I, and I think many CU fans, would actually have *more* respect for KD if he did that.
Sure, but you also said you'd have more respect for him if he'd just resign now, which isn't going to happen. It'd be a catch-22 with Herman. If KD brought him in and the offense was great, KD looks great and therefore doesn't get fired, leaving Herman as OC for another year, which I think he'd bail on and go take a HC job somewhere else. If Herman came in and the offense/team was still bad, would we really want Herman to take over as HC if/when KD gets fired?

I'd like to think RG could talk to the few larger donors we might have (do we still actually have any?) and say, "make up the $2.5m difference between the $7.5m buyout this year and the $5m buyout after 2022, and we're going to do what it takes to bring Tom Herman to Boulder and give him a competitive salary pool for assistants and recruiting ops". That way, it's just a clean break from everyone and they can start over ASAP, with the knowledge that operating in the red for a year or two will be worth it and made up with a boost in ticket sales, sponsorships, and the new media deal in a few years.

That kind of thing is the only way I see CU every becoming competitive again. Short term debt for long term sustainability.

I think KD could still be successful if he can hire the right OC, clean house on the offensive side, and find a recruiting coordinator who can go balls to the wall with recruiting. That's a lot of change, but that is what's needs to happen for this program to keep going forward.

For that to happen, they probably need an additional 1 million to 1.5 million to add to assistant pool along with the recruiting department. That most certainly won't happen, but if it does, we could be in business.

I also think things are going to get very sour with DC at some point this season, if they haven't already.

I think KD could still be successful if he can hire the right OC, clean house on the offensive side, and find a recruiting coordinator who can go balls to the wall with recruiting. That's a lot of change, but that is what's needs to happen for this program to keep going forward.

For that to happen, they probably need an additional 1 million to 1.5 million to add to assistant pool along with the recruiting department. That most certainly won't happen, but if it does, we could be in business.

I also think things are going to get very sour with DC at some point this season, if they haven't already.
I could imagine Chev in self-preservation mode to RG. Basically anything and everything to cover his behind.

I could imagine Chev in self-preservation mode to RG. Basically anything and everything to cover his behind.
I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't already happened. Something along the lines of, "this is not my offense and no one can win with it" from Chev. I feel it'll get very ugly, but all the blame falls at RG's feet.

If he's aggressive this year, there's a chance he's not viewed as a lame duck given the special circumstances of his hiring. But the hangup RG has for Chev... poison.
I don’t envision any aggression unless the assistant has an expiring agreement. In that case, he’s simply letting the contract cease and searching for an alternative. Aggressive would be him firing people mid season.

I don’t envision any aggression unless the assistant has an expiring agreement. In that case, he’s simply letting the contract cease and searching for an alternative. Aggressive would be him firing people mid season.
ANyone know if Rod has a 2 or 3 year contract?

Back