What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

I suspect most of the #FireDorrell crowd (myself included) thought he was a bad hire from day 1

I find that spot on. Not too many thought he was a good hire at the time so he doesn't have much of a constituency to back him after 1.5 bad games.

Is anyone taking the position of "he deserves at least four years to show what he can do with his players"?

Assistant coaching contracts and admin not admitting players like the tcu transfer are legit problems. The others are things Colorado fans like to bitch about. If you're argument would've been chip Kelly, yeah almost every program would take him, he probably wouldn't choose cu.

I'm trying to bridge the gap between Kd and Herman. Idk how you think we can get an upgrade from Kd but think someone like Tom Herman is out of our league.

Disagree. I don't see him at a blueblood because he's already been fired from one. No reason why CU can't get him-especially since he's going to be collecting UT buyout money for a while.

Disagree. I don't see him at a blueblood because he's already been fired from one. No reason why CU can't get him-especially since he's going to be collecting UT buyout money for a while.
I think the only way Herman comes onboard is if by some miracle we cleared house at the end of the season and gave him a fresh slate as HC.
I don’t think he’d come here to be OC.

I think the only way Herman comes onboard is if by some miracle we cleared house at the end of the season and gave him a fresh slate as HC.
I don’t think he’d come here to be OC.
Probably right. I had hoped we could go for another Jim Leavitt special where we bring in a top coordinator to help save the HC’s job, but Herman and Leavitt were certainly in different stages of their career rehabilitation.

And by the way, if we were actually in the market for a HC (which realistically I don’t think we will be for a while) I absolutely believe someone like Herman should be within reach for CU - otherwise WTF are we even doing playing P5 football?

Probably right. I had hoped we could go for another Jim Leavitt special where we bring in a top coordinator to help save the HC’s job, but Herman and Leavitt were certainly in different stages of their career rehabilitation.

And by the way, if we were actually in the market for a HC (which realistically I don’t think we will be for a while) I absolutely believe someone like Herman should be within reach for CU - otherwise WTF are we even doing playing P5 football?
I agree, but feels like Herman is still somewhat of a hot name. Maybe not for the blue bloods, but CU is far from a tier 2 P5 program. If James Franklin takes the USC job, for example, Herman feels like a solid candidate for Penn State. Great recruiter and pretty solid coach; just wasn't good enough for Texas (hint: nobody that can't win a National Championship within 3 years is going to be).

If he still has 2 years left of Texas paying him $5m/year to not coach, I feel like he can be pretty picky and would be looking at programs that fall into the caliber of Miami, Michigan State, Penn State, Washington, ASU, UCLA, Tennessee, Florida State, etc. Obviously CU isn't in that tier of jobs.

Or, maybe I'm way off base with my perception of Herman and the caliber of jobs he's a candidate for and CU would be fairly realistic.

Is anyone taking the position of "he deserves at least four years to show what he can do with his players"?
Outside of Duff's snark (which is pretty damn funny), I see a few reasons to give a coach four years to get his players.

Coaching staff is installing a new scheme that is drastically different from what the previous staff was doing (see GT)
Coaching staff has a proven track record of building something (see Mack Brown at UNC)
There's clear evidence that the players coming in are an upgrade.

I'm not sure that any of those apply here.

We'd have a few more winning seasons if we only played the first half of the season every year.
I thought of that. But last year didn't have non-conference opponents other than UT in the Alamo Bowl. I believe it's only our 2nd winning conference record in 15 years.

Outside of Duff's snark (which is pretty damn funny), I see a few reasons to give a coach four years to get his players.

Coaching staff is installing a new scheme that is drastically different from what the previous staff was doing (see GT)
Coaching staff has a proven track record of building something (see Mack Brown at UNC)
There's clear evidence that the players coming in are an upgrade.

I'm not sure that any of those apply here.
I missed the context of this reply and thought you were advocating for KD to keep the job for 4 years based on those factors and I about lost my mind haha

Unless it's a disaster, I think you give 3 years. If the win/loss isn't there in year 3, there better be mitigating circumstances and a very positive recruiting trajectory.

Unless it's a disaster, I think you give 3 years. If the win/loss isn't there in year 3, there better be mitigating circumstances and a very positive recruiting trajectory.
This week will tell us a lot. ASU isn’t as good as advertised and there are clearly a lot of distractions going on in that program right now. If CU’s offense doesn’t have a bounce back performance, what does the rest of the season look like? 1-2 more wins at best? 1-11, 2-10 or 3-9 would an absolute disaster for this program

I thought of that. But last year didn't have non-conference opponents other than UT in the Alamo Bowl. I believe it's only our 2nd winning conference record in 15 years.
True, but we were not a team trending up and our (lack of) depth was about to be tested with Landman getting hurt and the unrealistic possibly of JBru being able to maintain that pace. The best we looked all year was the 1st half of game 1.

Another issue I have with Dorrell is the captain stuff. New captains every week, chosen by the coaches, not the players. Who are the leaders of this program? What kind of culture is being set? McChesney and Vickers discussed this yesterday and I agree.

NSFW language

If you are not going to be good, at least be entertaining. Bring some excitement to the program.

Going scoreless in seven straight quarters and being at the bottom of the conference in recruiting ain't it.

The punt instead of going for it on fourth down before the game got out of hand killed me. The student section was going nuts, they've been great this year, and that punt was a kick in the nuts to them and every other fan.

I agree, but feels like Herman is still somewhat of a hot name. Maybe not for the blue bloods, but CU is far from a tier 2 P5 program. If James Franklin takes the USC job, for example, Herman feels like a solid candidate for Penn State. Great recruiter and pretty solid coach; just wasn't good enough for Texas (hint: nobody that can't win a National Championship within 3 years is going to be).

If he still has 2 years left of Texas paying him $5m/year to not coach, I feel like he can be pretty picky and would be looking at programs that fall into the caliber of Miami, Michigan State, Penn State, Washington, ASU, UCLA, Tennessee, Florida State, etc. Obviously CU isn't in that tier of jobs.

Or, maybe I'm way off base with my perception of Herman and the caliber of jobs he's a candidate for and CU would be fairly realistic.
You might be right that Herman would have some good options in a year, but I think they’d actually be more limited this December just 1 season removed from being fired and away from the college game. Another year from now he’ll likely be more en vogue - it’s why I really liked taking a risk with Sark 2 years ago when there was still some uncertainty around him. We need to take a little risk and a lower pressure job like CU might be appealing if we could get the money right to show a real commitment to a solid staff.

If Franklin leaves for USC I’m looking at Fickell or Matt Campbell for the PSU job.

When is Jim Harbaugh getting fired? I wouldn't mind him as a rehab option. But at this point there are a lot of options better than KD, just like when we hired him

Something to keep in mind with the #FireDorrell feelings:

In his 1 season, he delivered only the 2nd winning CU season in the last 15 years.

Considering that, we're probably wrong to not be supportive.
What a blessing that shortened season was for him as well. Cannot prove it but they were not going to win another game last season if it had continued. At best 1 more win and a losing season. I just do not have it in me to give home much of a break because of it.

Let’s see what happens from here on out. If
Major changes are not made on O and recruiting does not improve, you might as well cut bait because it is as good right now as it is going to get with this staff

Back