What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

If they fire him in-season, I think it gets acrimonious and he goes for all of what he is due. Nobody will touch him for an HC or OC job, so NFL position coach salary will not offset the buyout by a significant amount. If they let him go after the season, they can say that they gave him a full season with his staff and his players. Just wasn’t good enough. Need to win now.
I can see him getting butt hurt. I don't think he has any intention of going back to an assistants job in the NFL or college. He has made his bankroll with this job, he's old enough not to be interested in getting back into the grind, especially since the offset would mean he's working for free.

We can hope that he is embarrassed enough to be willing to negotiate but I don't think at this point he cares and the cost of keeping him gets higher than the cost of getting rid of him.

RG and LC should be talking with him now about how he can leave with dignity instead of being fired.

The funny thing is most other sports are in decent shape. Football is the only train wreck and holy **** it’s bad.
Not for long as football pays all of those bills. Without a significant profit from football, there is nothing for those other sports. It dries up fast. Broke or not, CU will need to find a way to make significant changes or just pack it in. Simple really. Get creative leadership from the top down to figure this out. Todd, are you up to it?

There is apparently an obligation to seek future employment if terminated. That alone, I would think, would reduce the buyout by $1-2 mil at least.
He'll get another NFL WR coach gig-most likely $1.5m ish, and its most likely paid out over time.

Make the move.

He’s already made like $12m over the last 3 years. At some point, your lasting legacy being the guy who coached CU into incompetence might not be worth sticking it out for a few million extra, especially when you are going to reside in Boulder the rest of your life
I get what you are saying, but I just don't think he cares. I don't think he believes he should assume any responsibility for this.

Not for long as football pays all of those bills. Without a significant profit from football, there is nothing for those other sports. It dries up fast. Broke or not, CU will need to find a way to make significant changes or just pack it in. Simple really. Get creative leadership from the top down to figure this out. Todd, are you up to it?

It's perplexing, frustrating, disappointing, maddening, etc. that CU doesn't see the value in having a good football program. The value is immeasurable

I think CU should just fire him and decline to pay him one cent. Say "sue us, let's see what a jury has to say about your breach of contract suit, maybe we get some jury nullification going, maybe the jury thinks you don't deserve squat." Then maybe he comes for a settlement, or maybe we get to drag his ass through court for a few years. And before you say that will cost CU a bunch of attorney fee money, it won't. CU has a staff of talented attorneys working in the General Counsel's office who are already on salary. And if we have to pay his attorney fees, I say it is money well spent, for the sheer pleasure of messing with KD for a few years.

I want him fired as much as the next guy... But enrollment numbers are down and the AD is on a death spiral of buyouts. Nothing will happen this season
What buyouts? What coaches have been fired recently? If they want him gone, they can find the money to make that happen. This is a multi-billion dollar institution, and this team gets both Nebraska and Colorado State in Boulder next year.

They can find the money to dump this clown. Its a question of whether or not they want to.

I will say one more thing people won't like.the negatives of a bad CU football team are already baked into all the numbers for CU. Whether that is fundraising, applications and enrollments, ticket sales... CU has been dog **** for most of 18 years - there isn't much that will happen now that makes things worse.

The upside is incredible, but there isn't much left to lose.

I will say one more thing people won't like.the negatives of a bad CU football team are already baked into all the numbers for CU. Whether that is fundraising, applications and enrollments, ticket sales... CU has been dog **** for most of 18 years - there isn't much that will happen now that makes things worse.

The upside is incredible, but there isn't much left to lose.

Well, when the tv deal results in a 20 mil decrease in revenue, they’ll have to gut the AD.

What incentive does KD have to negotiate? Genuinely asking, because as I see it the contract is so ****ty for everyone but him, he gets paid regardless.
If they give him the full season, I think they can persuade him to negotiate a smaller number for the good of the program. If they fire him in-season, they ignite the situation and make it difficult to ask for concessions.

If they give him the full season, I think they can persuade him to negotiate a smaller number for the good of the program. If they fire him in-season, they ignite the situation and make it difficult to ask for concessions.

That's why I'm hoping the media gets sassy and KD really feels the pressure mount. Then maybe RG can go to him and say, wouldn't you like those questions to stop coming, lets go work on a fair number for you and us, and he goes away

F the concessions. Being a 30 point dog for each of the remaining games in the year when CFB is reinvented will cost tens if not hundreds of millions. Personally I expect the damage is already done, but embracing a 'has been' identity will seal it.
Clearly its beyond the fans, but somebody has to care that we are backing away from a seat at the table....?

That's why I'm hoping the media gets sassy and KD really feels the pressure mount. Then maybe RG can go to him and say, wouldn't you like those questions to stop coming, lets go work on a fair number for you and us, and he goes away
Except we need RG to go as well. There is no way that he should be allowed to hire the next coach after how bad he botched the KD hire.

KD doesn’t care about the questions. He does care about his relationship with RG and LC. I think there’s significant value to him finishing the season.

F the concessions. Being a 30 point dog for each of the remaining games in the year when CFB is reinvented will cost tens if not hundreds of millions. Personally I expect the damage is already done, but embracing a 'has been' identity will seal it.
Clearly its beyond the fans, but somebody has to care that we are backing away from a seat at the table....?
The AD needs every last penny. Y’all think there’s a will to spend money on Football in Boulder, which is totally misplaced. Colorado is a has-been. That’s who we are.

agree on process.

Will he accept 5 to go away Jan 2?

What would you offer?

I agree it would piss him off and he may go the FU route, but you can also frame it to him as you're doing him a favor... "if we part ways now, you're removed from the embarrassment of a potential zero win season that will entirely nuke your coaching career. You can move on from the continued embarrassment and stress, take most of your money, and start positioning yourself for a job somewhere in the off-season."

That's the way I'd frame it anyway. Probably won't work, but if he does go 0 for the rest of the season, he'll probably be too damaged goods to get a job anytime soon and take the money anyway, or be over coaching entirely at his age and want to go home and collect a paycheck sitting on his couch watching Seinfeld reruns or start firing up some OF subscriptions or whatever old retired guys do

I agree it would piss him off and he may go the FU route, but you can also frame it to him as you're doing him a favor... "if we part ways now, you're removed from the embarrassment of a potential zero win season that will entirely nuke your coaching career. You can move on from the continued embarrassment and stress, take most of your money, and start positioning yourself for a job somewhere in the off-season."

That's the way I'd frame it anyway. Probably won't work, but if he does go 0 for the rest of the season, he'll probably be too damaged goods to get a job anytime soon and take the money anyway, or be over coaching entirely at his age and want to go home and collect a paycheck sitting on his couch watching Seinfeld reruns or start firing up some OF subscriptions or whatever old retired guys do
I could drink a lot of Coors Light and listen to GB for decades on 12M. Seinfeld reruns are fire!

Back