What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Especially when you consider the budget constraints we always hear about. Given that, why not go to the model of the LA Rams and others? If your HC can mentor your QBs while running the offense, that opens up a ton of budget to hire a top tier DC, OL Coach and other personnel. CU has never really done this with an offensive coach. We have with defensive coaches post-GB and those were the ones (MacIntyre & Tucker) who worked out the best -- although with MacIntyre he didn't take enough ownership of the defense & the most successful season by far ended up being driven by hiring a high-priced DC with Leavitt. So not only does RG need to make that sort of hire, the expectations need to be clear that the HC is expected to focus on being a guru for one side of the ball.
Why would I even come here if I could wait and go somewhere like KU and not have budgetary challenges? Unless were hiring the Boulder High School coach where were acting on the cheap right up front. Any coach worth having probably stays put and waits for a better opportunity. Not having the pool for good staff is one hinderance that likely makes coaches avoid CU. Not being able to get player admitted is another. Rinse repeat, almost 20 years now.

Suggestions like this are why we can’t have nice things.
I would take GB's knowledge, for an interim solution over anyone currently on staff. That's assuming RG were to keep the interim search local. He's more likely to make the team competitive than any current coach on staff and he would not cry and pout on social media if he wasn't retained, he would be a good torchkeeper

I would take GB's knowledge, for an interim solution over anyone currently on staff. That's assuming RG were to keep the interim search local. He's more likely to make the team competitive than any current coach on staff and he would not cry and pout on social media if he wasn't retained, he would be a good torchkeeper

CU keeps getting in trouble because they can’t stop living in the past. For God’s sake, look at the ridiculous leash RG has gotten because he was part of Mac’s staff.

No former Buffs. Go national. Get out of the family.

Of course it’s a moot point because our former Buff AD hired a former Buff head coach who has a ****ty offense because of a Forever Buff and we’re stuck with all of them for at least one more season after this.

CU keeps getting in trouble because they can’t stop living in the past. For God’s sake, look at the ridiculous leash RG has gotten because he was part of Mac’s staff.

No former Buffs. Go national. Get out of the family.

Of course it’s a moot point because our former Buff AD hired a former Buff head coach who has a ****ty offense because of a Forever Buff and we’re stuck with all of them for at least one more season after this.
Don't forget that the former Buff assoc AD for football was all over this process, too.

I read a national writer diagnosing USC's long failure. One of the primary causes they identified was the insistence on hiring guys with USC ties.

Even a place with all the advantages fails regularly when they insist on only hiring guys with prior ties to the school.

The mistake is even bigger when it's made at a place without those advantages.

Side note: they also advanced the notion that a good USC is not only important for the pac12, but for all of college football. Without an elite program on the west coast, the risk of becoming a regional sport is strong.

I read a national writer diagnosing USC's long failure. One of the primary causes they identified was the insistence on hiring guys with USC ties.

Even a place with all the advantages fails regularly when they insist on only hiring guys with prior ties to the school.

The mistake is even bigger when it's made at a place without those advantages.

Side note: they also advanced the notion that a good USC is not only important for the pac12, but for all of college football. Without an elite program on the west coast, the risk of becoming a regional sport is strong.
Agree. Even Alabama was mediocre for a long time when a HC job requirement was that the guy had to have been from Bear's tree.

Can we just leave the past in the ****ing past please? I just got my license went Barnett was fired ffs what would make anyone think he has a clue about modern football?
I wouldn't advocate for a long term contract, but I listen to most of the Buff games and Barnett still knows football. He could keep the team stable while a real search is done. Of course, if RG is doing that search, it doesn't matter anyway if Boy George is the interim coach.

In hindsight, it would have been the best option. It would have avoided hiring Dorrell, and shown that Chev isn’t it. He would have likely been let go at the end of the year and they could have gone through a legitimate search.
Or the Buffs had a similar year to the one they had, went to the Alamo Bowl and Chev gets signed to a several year deal. All kinds of scenarios could’ve played out. They needed a guy who was ready to retire and willing to do a one year gig.

Last edited:
When the tweeting about the HC position started he should have been let go. Period. End of story. Never should have retained a spot on the staff let alone been given a chance to be an interim.
I think there's a way to meet in the middle here-I didn't want him as an interim, but had no problem giving him another chance to be a playcaller. He's failed at that. Time to move on.

This may sound a bit harsh but, maybe it's time for CU to move to the Big 12 since Texas and Oklahoma are leaving or the Mountain West. We are a complete embarrassment on the football field! Lewis has absolutely zero pocket awareness and locks on to one receiver. Chev is a good receiver coach and that's it, he needs to be demoted or let go.

Back