What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Howell getting a little tougher with Karl on Monday was interesting today. This might be wishful thinking, but I want to echo what somebody yesterday. Maybe Brian's hearing from somebody around Saliman (most likely-I don't think PD cares and I don't believe RG is willing to fire Dorrell) that change might be on the horizon?

Hopefully it isn't wishful thinking.
I'm afraid it is. When Howell said this past year he didn't have a clue who the donors were to the CU program it told me he wasn't very well connected with anyone.

Somebody mentioned Woelk earlier. Is he even still producing anything? I haven’t seen anything from him in months.

Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree and Karl Dorrell never owned their side of the ball. They needed 2 coordinators to be successful.
If they would have lucked into having TWO good coordinators, they would never have afforded to keep them both for any period of time.

Karl Dorrell doesn't have an offensive system that he brought with him to implement. He's not that guy. He may have thoughts about what didn't work during his NFL years, but that experience is not relevant. I'm looking for success, primarily at the college level, any level. And the system that built that success.

The only shot you have is to pay your HC well and have him own one side of the ball and pay the coordinator on the other side well.
Unless you have BIG money to hire two can't miss coordinators. Then your HC can be the CEO face of the program.

That big money is not available to all but 5-10 programs.
Colorado has to be smarter. Learn from those 3 hires above. Go find a hot coordinator or up/coming head coach who has proven himself as a guru on one side of the ball. They have to bring a proven system.

Think Luke Fickell before he blew up at Cincy. Matt Campbell with his winning program at Toledo. And almost every other successful head coach at any level. They have a system that they would bring in. CU has enough budget now to go get a very competent coordinator for the other side of the ball and a decent positional staff to go with it. But they money they pay for the HC has to assure they are bringing in their DC or OC system.

CU does not have the budget to pay a guy to be the CEO of the program, that comes in without a system, and pay him "market value" at that. Nebraska thought they were getting an offensive wizard in Scott Frost and he turned out to be a fraud. Now they are paying a big time OC they stole from Pitt, who's offense looks nothing like what Frost brought in. And they are stuck with Scott Frost and his awful personality CEO. I can see how the AD at Nebraska was fooled but there was nothing about KDs background that suggested he was anything but what he is. A homeowner in Boulder County who coached receivers well enough to not get fired often.

Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree and Karl Dorrell never owned their side of the ball. They needed 2 coordinators to be successful.
If they would have lucked into having TWO good coordinators, they would never have afforded to keep them both for any period of time.

Karl Dorrell doesn't have an offensive system that he brought with him to implement. He's not that guy. He may have thoughts about what didn't work during his NFL years, but that experience is not relevant. I'm looking for success, primarily at the college level, any level. And the system that built that success.

The only shot you have is to pay your HC well and have him own one side of the ball and pay the coordinator on the other side well.
Unless you have BIG money to hire two can't miss coordinators. Then your HC can be the CEO face of the program.

That big money is not available to all but 5-10 programs.
Colorado has to be smarter. Learn from those 3 hires above. Go find a hot coordinator or up/coming head coach who has proven himself as a guru on one side of the ball. They have to bring a proven system.

Think Luke Fickell before he blew up at Cincy. Matt Campbell with his winning program at Toledo. And almost every other successful head coach at any level. They have a system that they would bring in. CU has enough budget now to go get a very competent coordinator for the other side of the ball and a decent positional staff to go with it. But they money they pay for the HC has to assure they are bringing in their DC or OC system.

CU does not have the budget to pay a guy to be the CEO of the program, that comes in without a system, and pay him "market value" at that. Nebraska thought they were getting an offensive wizard in Scott Frost and he turned out to be a fraud. Now they are paying a big time OC they stole from Pitt, who's offense looks nothing like what Frost brought in. And they are stuck with Scott Frost and his awful personality CEO. I can see how the AD at Nebraska was fooled but there was nothing about KDs background that suggested he was anything but what he is. A homeowner in Boulder County who coached receivers well enough to not get fired often.
NFL model. Hire a QB whisperer with an offensive system as your HC. Then spend big on a DC who can function almost as the HC of your defense.

Didnt he back out after interviews?
RG: We'd love for you to be the next coach at the University of Colorado.

Sark: Numbers work. I'm ready to roll. Here's the plan...

RG: About that. Um. I'm gonna need you to keep Summers as your DC for at least a year and Chev as your OC for at least the next 2. They'll be taking up over half of your AC budget. There's also a multi-year deal with the S&C Coach, so you won't be able to change that up until January of next year. And, um, you're going to need to work around some admissions policies that are a bit more restrictive than schools like Cal.

Sark: Yeah. Good luck with that. My agent says Bama's willing to pay me an obscene raise to win another natty as OC before I take my pick of open jobs next year.

RG: We'd love for you to be the next coach at the University of Colorado.

Sark: Numbers work. I'm ready to roll. Here's the plan...

RG: About that. Um. I'm gonna need you to keep Summers as your DC for at least a year and Chev as your OC for at least the next 2. They'll be taking up over half of your AC budget. There's also a multi-year deal with the S&C Coach, so you won't be able to change that up until January of next year. And, um, you're going to need to work around some admissions policies that are a bit more restrictive than schools like Cal.

Sark: Yeah. Good luck with that. My agent says Bama's willing to pay me an obscene raise to win another natty as OC before I take my pick of open jobs next year.
The fact that this was the mindset after a coach left owing us $3 million that could have easily been used to pay those assistants buy outs blows my mind.

There's plenty of candidates besides Sark. RG hired Mel, and couldn't keep him. So he went after Sark and couldn't afford him? And rather than stick with that formula, but perhaps aim for a guy who'd see Colorado as an opportunity, perhaps not a coordinator at one of the two most powerful programs in the country, he did what he did! Huh?

That was a ****up from go.

And I can't accept the excuse that the admin dictated anything. If our AD has zero power after collecting a bag full of cash from Michigan State then he should have resigned on the spot. Blow the ****ing AD up at that point in time.

The fact that this was the mindset after a coach left owing us $3 million that could have easily been used to pay those assistants buy outs blows my mind.
Rick looked at it as though he needed that money to pay Sark. Rick needed to find a solid up/coming offensive coach who'd coach QBs, and pay him less than Mel was making. Use the $3M to buyout assistants (although you might keep a couple).

Money was not a problem if we aren't hiring one of the highest profile coordinators in the country. We aren't swimming with Texas. But now we are swimming with the directional schools.

Rick looked at it as though he needed that money to pay Sark. Rick needed to find a solid up/coming offensive coach who'd coach QBs, and pay him less than Mel was making. Use the $3M to buyout assistants (although you might keep a couple).

Money was not a problem if we aren't hiring one of the highest profile coordinators in the country. We aren't swimming with Texas. But now we are swimming with the directional schools.
We aren't swimming at all. We are drowning with no life vest and no ships on the horizon.

Is there any possibility that at some point this season, Gary Barnett could step in and take over just for the season? Would that at least salvage the season while we look for a new head coach for next season?

There's plenty of candidates besides Sark. RG hired Mel, and couldn't keep him. So he went after Sark and couldn't afford him? And rather than stick with that formula, but perhaps aim for a guy who'd see Colorado as an opportunity, perhaps not a coordinator at one of the two most powerful programs in the country, he did what he did! Huh?

That was a ****up from go.

And I can't accept the excuse that the admin dictated anything. If our AD has zero power after collecting a bag full of cash from Michigan State then he should have resigned on the spot. Blow the ****ing AD up at that point in time.
I don't think it was about not being able to afford Sark. I think it was a control thing for Sark- he knew that if he took the CU job and ****ed it up, he wasn't going to get another shot as an HC. The same is probably true at UT, but at UT he at least can control his own destiny. At CU, he was being asked to stick his neck out with Chiv and Summers as coordinators. It's not rocket science to figure out why he said, "no."

Dorrell, on the other hand, had nothing to lose. Getting another HC shot was a completely unexpected stroke of good luck for him.

For all the people here that say, "it doesn't make any sense that RG didn't use the Tucker buyout to pay Summers/Chiv," I say to you:

1662641054278.png

I don't think it was about not being able to afford Sark. I think it was a control thing for Sark- he knew that if he took the CU job and ****ed it up, he wasn't going to get another shot as an HC. The same is probably true at UT, but at UT he at least can control his own destiny. At CU, he was being asked to stick his neck out with Chiv and Summers as coordinators. It's not rocket science to figure out why he said, "no."

Dorrell, on the other hand, had nothing to lose. Getting another HC shot was a completely unexpected stroke of good luck for him.

For all the people here that say, "it doesn't make any sense that RG didn't use the Tucker buyout to pay Summers/Chiv," I say to you:

View attachment 53986
Mr Magoo

View attachment 53986
The one common theme over all the years of ineptitude is that ugly mug. Time to GTFO!

Listened to the Jay Norvell radio show last night. Damn, wish we had that guy. There’s a guy kids are going to want to play for. We’re going to start losing instate recruiting battles for those tier 2 players real soon.

Is there any possibility that at some point this season, Gary Barnett could step in and take over just for the season? Would that at least salvage the season while we look for a new head coach for next season?
I mean I guess. But why would he want to?. And it wont matter: Ill just point out that if there are things that you havent been working on all year working on them for two weeks isnt gonna make a difference. One of those things is recruiting, something Gary also struggled with. We dont have the Jimmys and the Joes so we cant do the Xs and the Os. We wont have them in the future either as theyll now concentrate in the SEC and B1G money world

Last edited:
We are the only team in the country projected to lose all of the games remaining on our schedule.

The. Only. Team. In. The. Country.

This is beyond “peeking head into rooms”, or a RG vote of confidence. When these stats come out, your AD needs to schedule press opportunities to get out there and say it’s unacceptable and lay out your standards as a program.

Back