What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

If I was Saliman, I'd make all CU campuses pay student fees and give them student & alum discounts. I'd make them all Buffs and invite other CO colleges to join the CU system.

To give a comparison, Penn State has over 20 campuses. Some have athletics. They're all Nittany Lions. All part of the same alumni association. University Park is the flagship main campus, but they're all part of the same and it does a ton to build statewide support.
Indiana has 42 campuses! One brand

That's one of the major issues of the CU system, imo. The campuses think they're separate brands in competition with each other. It's so weird.
This is shockingly accurate. Ask CU Denver who their biggest competitor is? CU Boulder. UCCS' biggest competitor? CU Denver

It is wildly myopic and a byproduct of the extreme political institution, and bleeds down from how the BoR is elected. You have 4 campuses with 4 administrations, duplicative schools and colleges (business, engineering, arts and sciences, etc). Lots of duplicative technology and business offices.

It is really quite silly in this day and age, and it keeps CUs focus local, in little fiefdoms with internal squabbling. It's like the Holy Roman Empire... And will probably meet the same fate.

Total Net Revenue from Football FY2014-FY2020 with football specific revenue and football specific Expenditures and total AD Net Revenue in parenthesis.

2014 - $11,081,351 Net Revenue from Football (-$76k total)
  • Rev - $28.4m
  • Exp - $17.3m
2015 - $11,274,065 Net Revenue from Football ($2.5m total)
  • Rev - $28.3m
  • Exp - $17m
2016 - $19,172,394 Net Revenue from Football ($2.5m total)
  • Rev - $37.5m
  • Exp - $18.3m
2017 - $21,403,391 Net Revenue from Football ($3.5m total)
  • Rev - $43.5m
  • Exp - $22.1m
2018 - $21,386,232 Net Revenue from Football (-$245k total)
  • Rev - $43.4m
  • Exp - $22.1m
2019 - $13,776,760 Net Revenue from football (-$3.m total)
  • Rev - $43.4m
  • Exp - $29.6m
2020 - $27,772,578 Net Revenue from football ($4.4m total)
  • Rev - $50.4m
  • Exp - $22.7m
2021 – (355,313) Net Revenue from football (-$17.4m total)
  • Rev - $17.1m
  • Exp - $17.5m

Even a ****ty football team having to buy out bad contracts brings in a ton of revenue and keeps the AD's P&L positive more often than not. It's absurd to suggest the AD has so poorly mismanaged its finances that there's no reason for the school itself to loan the necessary funds in order for the football program to do what's necessary to continue being profitable.

These numbers don’t impress me. RG funges the budgets of other sports based on meager football net revenues leaving the football team underfunded and CU without many sports available at other P12 schools.

Sure, the bottom line looks good - I guess - but all these programs are funded poorly.

I would think you could work out common branding for all campuses, and allow use of the Ralphie logo for Anschutz and Denver. UCCS has their own mascot for athletics but still uses gold and the interlocking CU. I think you could easily bring Colorado Mesa in as they already have an agreement with the school of engineering.

This is shockingly accurate. Ask CU Denver who their biggest competitor is? CU Boulder. UCCS' biggest competitor? CU Denver

It is wildly myopic and a byproduct of the extreme political institution, and bleeds down from how the BoR is elected. You have 4 campuses with 4 administrations, duplicative schools and colleges (business, engineering, arts and sciences, etc). Lots of duplicative technology and business offices.

It is really quite silly in this day and age, and it keeps CUs focus local, in little fiefdoms with internal squabbling. It's like the Holy Roman Empire... And will probably meet the same fate.
I don't think it is a great way to run a university system, but it is not unusual (Univ. of California system, Cal state system, Univ of Texas system etc). Each school in these systems is a separate brand and compete with each other and they seem to make it work.

I don't think it is a great way to run a university system, but it is not unusual (Univ. of California system, Cal state system, Univ of Texas system etc). Each school in these systems is a separate brand and compete with each other and they seem to make it work.
TX has 20 million, CA 30+ million more people living in states 2x the size of CO. Much easier to have different brands because you have the population and area to market to.

Are you referring to Hank Brown? I think he was the right guy at the time and he left when the time was right. CU needed somebody with political clout to twist some legislative arms. That done, he rode off into the sunset. I wouldn’t put this slide on his shoulders. In fact, I think it could have been much worse without him.

If you’re referring to Kennedy, then yeah, spot on. Worthless in almost every way imaginable.
If we're going this route, can we all just agree that this whole debacle started with Betsy Hoffman

I’m even okay with him as OC, but I think working for Sark is going to get him opportunities with other programs…
Yeah - someone is going to "take a chance" with him and end up looking like a genius.

Most likely a G5, and then he'll be poached by one of the big boys 3-5 years later.

Other possibility is that a ****ty B1G team takes a chance and surprises everyone.

I'd love it if it was the terps.

I might never watch college football again if it's the corn.

Sad Fight Club GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Back