What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Phil DiStefano

How important free speech is?!

Apparently that includes giving a platform to a treasonous conspiracy theorist at the state flagship.

Also, what the **** is wrong with his eyes? Is he drunk again?

STFU and retire, Phil.
With how Phil handled the Churchill scandal it should not be surprising how he handled Eastman. The decline in the athletic department (the primary marketing wing for the university) or the fall in the academic ranking is a far greater indictment on Phil's resume than how he handled controversial professors. DiStefano is a perfect example of what happens when an employer becomes too insular and values seniority over anything else.

With how Phil handled the Churchill scandal it should not be surprising how he handled Eastman. The decline in the athletic department (the primary marketing wing for the university) or the fall in the academic ranking is a far greater indictment on Phil's resume than how he handled controversial professors. DiStefano is a perfect example of what happens when an employer becomes too insular and values seniority over anything else.

Hope you don’t mind if I share this. I think it’s perfect and sums it all up.

Are these transfer rules that keep coming up referring the stuff Nik posted about what credits CU recognizes, or is there something else?

If the former, branding it as "transfer rules" isn't making a lot of sense to me.

Edit: It's probably something basic I'm not getting. I can see how the credit recognition piece makes a difference to athletes genuinely interested in a degree, but I'm not getting how they impact the majority of scholarship football players.

Are these transfer rules that keep coming up referring the stuff Nik posted about what credits CU recognizes, or is there something else?

If the former, branding it as "transfer rules" isn't making a lot of sense to me.
See Adam’s post on Progress Toward Degree

See Adam’s post on Progress Toward Degree
Link?

Edit: nm, I re-read Nik's summary and think i connected the dots.

If a player majoring at another school in liberal arts or general studies or some other degree not offered in Boulder, then later transfers to CU, those credits don't count and therefore the student is failing to meet the NCAA's requirements for progress to a degree.

Last edited:
These rules hes talking about vis a vis transfer credits applies to all students and goes all the way back to the 90s. You dont get full credit in most all cases. Except when state law kicks in (in state community college transfers)

The rules are old. But the world has changed. AAU schools have adopted exceptions as they know these players who are transferring in are rentals.
Either you accept that CFB changed or you get out of the business.

Mountain West football is fun for the teams who are competitive there.
Or we could just do basketball until Tad retires.

Football at the University of Colorado died.

I noticed a fire Phil petition, but I think it probably dates back to when there was the active shooter in Boulder and UCLA closed their campus due to the ties to UCLA but Phil left campus running.

Is there still talk that Phil is possibly retiring at the end of the year or did that change?

Is there a link to Phil's comments about the transfer requirements?
The presser streamed on YouTube under Buffstv.
Conveniently two interviews from Saturday night have been loaded since to bury it. Still there for your viewing pleasure.

Personally I didn’t think it was that bad until Phil. Then awful. Unlike RG I don’t recall him apologizing to the fans or doing anything but deflect blame from his policies.
he did blame the state government; the NCAA and the other ‘cheating’ schools though in the QA
Apparently his hands are tied and head is planted firmly in the sand.

Phil was terrible in that press conference. He is either lying or ignorant. Is he saying an athlete with a PE or general studies major can't transfer here because we don't have those programs? Can't a PE major at school A become a kinesiology major at CU? What about the 1000's of "undecided" majors currently at CU? Did he just say that we need to concentrate on junior colleges for transfers? Are junior colleges going to get us smarter students than those enrolled in actual universities? This is not about "standards", it's just about being stupid. He's got to go.

Link?

Edit: nm, I re-read Nik's summary and think i connected the dots.

If a player majoring at another school in liberal arts or general studies or some other degree not offered in Boulder, then later transfers to CU, those credits don't count and therefore the student is failing to meet the NCAA's requirements for progress to a degree.
This simply makes no sense. If I took calculus at CU as a physics major I bet I could transfer to Stanford and get that credit applied to a different major. Assuming I got in. But a Stanford student with a major in materials engineering couldn't transfer to CU because we don't offer that major, even if they wanted to transfer to a program we actually have? Isn't a change in major a "major" reason for transferring?

Phil was terrible in that press conference. He is either lying or ignorant. Is he saying an athlete with a PE or general studies major can't transfer here because we don't have those programs? Can't a PE major at school A become a kinesiology major at CU? What about the 1000's of "undecided" majors currently at CU? Did he just say that we need to concentrate on junior colleges for transfers? Are junior colleges going to get us smarter students than those enrolled in actual universities? This is not about "standards", it's just about being stupid. He's got to go.

This simply makes no sense. If I took calculus at CU as a physics major I bet I could transfer to Stanford and get that credit applied to a different major. Assuming I got in. But a Stanford student with a major in materials engineering couldn't transfer to CU because we don't offer that major, even if they wanted to transfer to a program we actually have? Isn't a change in major a "major" reason for transferring?
I'll take a stab at this.

If a transfer comes into CU as a PE major with 3 years behind him and decides to be a Kinesiology major, many of his PE credits would not apply to the Kinesiology degree. He thus would fail to meet the NCAA requirement that requires an athlete to be making adequate progress towards a degree. There is no exception for the case where the athlete is changing his major.

I don't have my hands on the exact specifics, but the above is a general description of the problem.

Thus, many AAU programs have academic majors that are popular with athletes, that apparently, CU is not offering. If that is the reason that we are eliminating a large pool of potential transfers, then CU must consider why are we different?

Are we different than other PAC12 schools? The Big10? I get that KSU and Okie State are willing to do this. But if it's us and Stanford, we should pull our heads out.

The Kinesiology major at CU is a hard science. It isn't equivalent to a PE major.

Definitely stupidly ridged.

I remember losing an argument with CU over various transfer credits they wouldn’t accept. They wouldn’t accept some community college credits I earned after I left a 4 year school because I would have been past an associate’s degree level, even though I changed majors and hadn’t had those basic courses. This limited my choices for which schools I could enroll in at CU, so I had to go back to my original major when I transferred. If I would have been a transfer athlete, attending CU would have been a non-starter, as it would have been impossible for me to ever catch up to the NCAA Progress Towards Degree threshold.

Also, I was most frustrated with not having credits for a class called Religion in America transferred because I took it under religious studies to satisfy the requirement for the religiously founded liberal arts school, even though it was a history class that also was listed under the history designation at the school. Same class, but CU didn’t care.

I had enough credits to be a senior when I transferred if they all lined up and were accepted - they all shouldn’t have based on CU’s policies (PE, etc.) - but was declared a sophomore, as many more credits should have transferred even without a loosening of requirements. And was just an average transfer student. That said, I would have expected exceptions for scholarship athletes, but I guess they’ve always been in the same boat.

Yes, CU is putting itself behind its peers due to snootiness and money hungry policies, which ends up being penny wise and dollar foolish when you look at the decline in academic rankings that are directly correlated to the decline in the football program.

And yes, I’m still bitter about the number of credits that didn’t transfer over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
This is the most pressing matter at hand.

Every university of colorado social media' posts comment section should simply say

"Fire Phil DiStefano."

I stand corrected with kinesiology vs PE. Still, PE should be a legit degree at CU. CU offers music education I think. Just because it might be easy (like communications) doesn't mean it's not a legit area of study.

Holy f***
There is some slight truth to this, though. At most reasonable programs, there is a finite amount of $$ that is going to be donated to the program and NIL collectives. Maybe a few businesses who wouldn’t donate to the AD but would actually donate to a collective for actual NIL purposes make it a little more, but generally, every dollar that goes to the NIL collectives for CU is probably a dollar less that comes directly to the AD.

It doesn’t mean RG should be trying to shut down any collectives, but I can somewhat understand not liking it as an AD.

For years, people at the University of Colorado at Boulder have speculated on when Chancellor Phil DiStefano might retire; the answer is “Never!” In fact, DiStefano passed away over seven years ago, but the University administration continues to function under his guidance or, more accurately, the leadership of eight DiStefano look-alikes who are hauled out for public view.
04177082-2C1E-4CCE-932D-FDDF3AF60414.jpeg

For years, people at the University of Colorado at Boulder have speculated on when Chancellor Phil DiStefano might retire; the answer is “Never!” In fact, DiStefano passed away over seven years ago, but the University administration continues to function under his guidance or, more accurately, the leadership of eight DiStefano look-alikes who are hauled out for public view.
View attachment 54766
It’s like “Weekend at Phil’s”

View attachment 54766
DeepSchool!

We can fundraise some $$ if someone can go to Phil’s next public engagement and heckle him.

Does anyone here remember what then CU President, Gordon Gee, said when asked why he was such an avid supporter of Buff Football. His answer, “When I watch football all I see is my budget running up and down the field”. He was President during many of the glory years. No other President has expressed this level of understanding since. We need another Gorden Gee.

There is some slight truth to this, though. At most reasonable programs, there is a finite amount of $$ that is going to be donated to the program and NIL collectives. Maybe a few businesses who wouldn’t donate to the AD but would actually donate to a collective for actual NIL purposes make it a little more, but generally, every dollar that goes to the NIL collectives for CU is probably a dollar less that comes directly to the AD.

It doesn’t mean RG should be trying to shut down any collectives, but I can somewhat understand not liking it as an AD.
When I was in college, a long standing scholarship wasn’t renewed by the sponsor. As a campus student leader, I started the process for trying to continue that scholarship through a new sponsor. When the financial aid office heard about our activity they made us stop. “A potential sponsor might choose to keep that scholarship going, which would be less than the donation we’re hoping to get.” As far as I know, the targets we were working with never donated. I was pretty pissed about that.

Back