What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Phil DiStefano

This. The symptoms they decry are often (not "always," but I'd say the percentage is north of 90) present in any organization larger than about 5-10 people.

And after you get to about 50 people, the percentage of organizations with those issues rapidly approaches 100%.
I agree 100%. I would suggest the private sector has a motivation that public sector has less of, particularly, an interruption to the revenue stream. Private entities rely, mostly, on voluntary participation, while public relies, mostly, on compelled revenue streams. The level of service and competence is reflected in those two realities.

It appears Buff fans are in agreement here:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Is Phil DiStefano the right leader to make the necessary changes for the future success of <a href="https://twitter.com/CUBuffsFootball?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@CUBuffsFootball</a>?</p>&mdash; Kelli Brooks (@KelliBrooks627) <a href="">October 5, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who the **** are the ~50 people who voted yes?

He’s a roach. Of course he’d survive. He’s the guy in every office who bus rolls people at every opportunity so that he diverts attention away from him doing absolutely nothing.
No. He's the guy who gets promoted to be a hatchet man to take care of some unpleasantness and keep the bad guy heat off his superiors. Everyone in the organization hates that guy. And that guy eventually outlives his usefulness, given a nice separation package to go away.

We are at that separation stage with Phil. Party control of the BoR changed and he only stayed this year to avoid having to change CU President and CU-B Chancellor at the same time.

Phil is the epitome of a bureaucratic hack. He wouldn't last five minutes outside the ivory tower in the business world.
I agree with the sentiment, but in my experience, the "business world" is littered with guys like Phil, who grew up rich or with "connections," have no appreciable talent (or intellect) aside from being rich with connections, and who end up in positions where they get paid for who they know far more than what they know. I went to Vandy, and I knew a bunch of them as they were just getting started--in "daddy's company." They were never going to lose their jobs, not that many of them needed to work.

I hope this is changing over time, but if it is, it is happening excruciatingly slowly. The "old-boys club" remains alive and kicking. I briefly worked for a law firm that had only ever hired white men and talked about how weird it would be to hire a female lawyer. I look at the "middle-man" businesses that require little "innovation" and lots of degradation: insurance, finance, corporate boards, etc. I've been involved in some litigations where I had the opportunity to read the messages sent back and forth between various vice presidents of companies after they ended up getting sued over some form of corrupt stupidity. Many of the people making high six-figures could barely put a sentence together, not to mention, an ethical thought.

Sorry. Just a pet peeve of mine. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Thanks for posting this. It would be interesting to hear "why" he thinks CU will change this other than just wishful thinking. PD's comments would contradict this in every sense.
Of course it's all wishcasting on my part to an extent, but I don't think someone like Joel says something like, "they need to remove the hurdles that are currently in place, AND I BELIEVE THEY WILL..." without some kind of knowledge that they intend to do so.

And again, while it's all just hope on my part, I think there is enough smoke around it all to believe things will change.

No. He's the guy who gets promoted to be a hatchet man to take care of some unpleasantness and keep the bad guy heat off his superiors. Everyone in the organization hates that guy. And that guy eventually outlives his usefulness, given a nice separation package to go away.

We are at that separation stage with Phil. Party control of the BoR changed and he only stayed this year to avoid having to change CU President and CU-B Chancellor at the same time.
That's why I think his comments the other day really don't hold much water. He's not going to rock the boat on anything in the next 6-8 months. It's too much work and he doesn't have to or need to do that.

Yeah, he gets the separation package after pissing people off for decades. He also stays around forever because he has dirt on everyone. He definitely doesn’t fail.

Phil Distefano is 76 years old and has effectively spent his entire life at CU Boulder (since 1974). He’s closing in on 50 years. I think it’s time he let someone else hold the tiller.

Phil Distefano is 76 years old and has effectively spent his entire life at CU Boulder (since 1974). He’s closing in on 50 years. I think it’s time he let someone else hold the tiller.
Wow, he looks a lot older than that.

Here’s what I don’t understand, why is the academic side held to such a low standard compared to the athletic side? Every academic ranking has had CU drop somewhere between 50 - 100 spots during phil’s tenure. The new Prez needs to fire him to make a statement, not allow him to ride off into the sunset.

Here’s what I don’t understand, why is the academic side held to such a low standard compared to the athletic side? Every academic ranking has had CU drop somewhere between 50 - 100 spots during phil’s tenure. The new Prez needs to fire him to make a statement, not allow him to ride off into the sunset.
The athletic side isn’t held to a high standard.

Both academic and athletic sides have struggled under Phil because his focus is limited to "stay on budget while avoiding scandal." There is no vision. He's much more comfortable trying to achieve budget goals through operational cuts and price increases instead of growth initiatives. Pretty much the blueprint for how you run a successful organization into the ground.

Irrelevant to my message. The original premise is that the athletic side is held to a high standard. It is not.
Phil’s record makes kid’s record look like Saban’s. FB coach is fired for a terrible record, chancellor’s record is far worse and he hasn’t been fired. So while the athletic side might not have high standards the academic side’s is far lower.

Phil’s record makes kid’s record look like Saban’s. FB coach is fired for a terrible record, chancellor’s record is far worse and he hasn’t been fired. So while the athletic side might not have high standards the academic side’s is far lower.
The CU Head Football Coach is the highest paid employee in the State of Colorado. He was only fired because he had one of the worst FBS programs in the entire country. Even if Dorrell were mediocre — as CU is academically — he would have kept his job.

Last edited:
Saw this today in the Journal. CU is ranked relatively high from a global perspective (#148, one spot after Rice). Although, interesting to see how we have slipped in the last twelve years (from #67 in 2011 to #148).

Makes me feel a little better about CU's academics in terms of relative standing, but not about Phil's performance in the last ten years. Fire the bastard.

We need to protest in front of Phils work like the Westboro Baptist Church protests a gay soldiers funeral.

We need to protest in front of Phils work like the Westboro Baptist Church protests a gay soldiers funeral.
1. This isn't funny. The Westboro Baptist Church is a hate group. Your statement is not far from, "We need to throw Phil in the oven like the Nazis did to the Jews."

2. Westboro didn't protest the funerals of gay soldiers. They protested at the funerals of straight soldiers.

Back