What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

No. I'm blaming PD for letting RG overpay Dorrell by half a million, if not more. Good try though!
We’ve talked about this. You keep increasing the $$ for coaches regardless of who it is so you can remain competitive for future coaches without having to make massive increases. The guaranteed part of his contract was the mistake, and something I can understand people being upset with PD about, but that is not holding this program back from winning 6 games

We’ve talked about this. You keep increasing the $$ for coaches regardless of who it is so you can remain competitive for future coaches without having to make massive increases.
So that means paying a guy who had one year of coordinator experience in this millennium and loves the area so much he was already living there $3m?

Got it.

So that means paying a guy who had one year of coordinator experience in this millennium and loves the area so much he was already living there $3m?

Got it.
Sadly, yes, because when it comes time to hire the next coach, instead of getting a $3m/contract approved, they’ll hopefully be able to get a $4m/year contract approved.

Sadly, yes, because when it comes time to hire the next coach, instead of getting a $3m/contract approved, they’ll hopefully be able to get a $4m/year contract approved.
Easier to get that $4m contract approved (and to get rid of this coach) if you're paying him what he's worth instead of what he's getting.

Easier to get that $4m contract approved (and to get rid of this coach) if you're paying him what he's worth instead of what he's getting.
We can agree to disagree. Regardless, none of that is holding CU back from winning 6 games a year which has been my point the entire time.

I wanted to believe RG's hand was forced with KD and he could maybe get a third shot, but the contract plus his public words to fans.. dude needs to go.
Yeah. It's like he's trying to sell us that the KD hire was like hiring Urban Meyer after Bowling Green & Utah. I'm happy to give someone time if the guy has shown he has built programs and knows how to do this thing.

I did not know where to put this but this seemed to be the place. I had breakfast this morning with a CU donor and season ticket holder. This guy is a truly die hard CU fan to the point of being annoying at times, he always tries to find the bright spot. This is someone who has been honored at halftime on the field as a donor. This morning he told me that he was dropping his CU football tickets after this year. This is a 46 year season ticket holder - this is going back to the days of Bill Mallory and he has been behind this team through good and bad times. He told me that he is finally convinced the school does not care about Football.

Several fans on this board have echoed similar feelings and to me this shows that even the staunchest fans are reaching their limits. This is really sad to me.

Last edited:
I did not know where to put this but this seemed to be the place. I had breakfast this morning with a CU donor and season ticket holder. This guy is a truly die hard CU fan to the point of being annoying at times, he always tries to find the bright spot. This is someone who has been honored at halftime on the field as a donor. This morning he told me that he was dropping his CU football tickets after this year. This is a 46 year season ticket holder - this is going back to the days of Bill Mallory and he has been behind this team through good and bad times. He told me that he is finally convinced the school does not care about Football.

Several fans on this board have echoed similar feelings and to me this shows that even the staunchest fans are reaching their limits. This is really sad to me.
And this is EXACTLY what the program needs to have happen to influence change. He stops donating and buying expensive season tickets, he has probably talked about it with the long time ticket holders around him, and if he hasn't, they'll see it next year. Hopefully, RG and the cronies that surround him actually care enough to call him and ask why.

We're definitely done with our season Football tickets - which sucks because my daughter will be an incoming freshman next year. We'll transition to basketball instead, I guess. Just when I got my sprinter van built out for tailgating, too. Oh well. #rolltad

We're definitely done with our season Football tickets - which sucks because my daughter will be an incoming freshman next year. We'll transition to basketball instead, I guess. Just when I got my sprinter van built out for tailgating, too. Oh well. #rolltad
1636990126923.gif

History has shown that CU, institutionally, does not and will not support football enough to generate recurring winning records. From the way the BOR is structured and elected to its unrealistic and inflated academic self image, it just isn’t going to get the institutional support needed.

The only way out of this is via private infusion of money. That’s going to require a major benefactor, and I’m talking like a billionaire, to somehow emerge and donate to the effort and work to build an athletic department with the kind of leadership and strategy that we see elsewhere. The problem is there is no billionaire alumnae out there. They don’t exist. The closest we probably have is Matt Stone and Trey Parker and while they appear to have some interest in CU sports, it doesn’t seem like they’re willing to take a bigger plunge.

That’s all I got. Someone has to swing for the fences or this program is a deadman walking.

More money would be nice, but that’s not the only problem. There needs to be buy in from University and campus leadership into a sustainable high level program. That includes academic support and a more cooperative approach to admissions. Those re the kinds of things that money doesn’t buy but are critical to the overall success of the program.

History has shown that CU, institutionally, does not and will not support football enough to generate recurring winning records. From the way the BOR is structured and elected to its unrealistic and inflated academic self image, it just isn’t going to get the institutional support needed.

The only way out of this is via private infusion of money. That’s going to require a major benefactor, and I’m talking like a billionaire, to somehow emerge and donate to the effort and work to build an athletic department with the kind of leadership and strategy that we see elsewhere. The problem is there is no billionaire alumnae out there. They don’t exist. The closest we probably have is Matt Stone and Trey Parker and while they appear to have some interest in CU sports, it doesn’t seem like they’re willing to take a bigger plunge.

That’s all I got. Someone has to swing for the fences or this program is a deadman walking.
I really doubt a billionaire would plow money into the mediocrity the administration provides. I am not sure about Oregon, but I'll bet Phil Knight looks at the leadership and does not see incompetence. Money can cure a lot of ills, like, say cancer, but it cannot cure institutional inertia that trends towards anti-athletics.

More money would be nice, but that’s not the only problem. There needs to be buy in from University and campus leadership into a sustainable high level program. That includes academic support and a more cooperative approach to admissions. Those re the kinds of things that money doesn’t buy but are critical to the overall success of the program.
Fair, but I guess my hope is if the athletic department can say to the administration “hey, we’re totally self funded and if you work with us to build this thing (i.e. academic support for the athletes, cooperate on admission for hardship cases, etc.) then the university can benefit from increased exposure, money for projects (to be negotiated of course)”.

I really doubt a billionaire would plow money into the mediocrity the administration provides. I am not sure about Oregon, but I'll bet Phil Knight looks at the leadership and does not see incompetence. Money can cure a lot of ills, like, say cancer, but it cannot cure institutional inertia that trends towards anti-athletics.
Ka-Ching. A QuadJillionAire might plow money to fix some incompetence but not to cure willful administrative apathy/animosity.

Money can't fix that.

CU needs a billionaire donor (or two) who is willing to sit down w the AD and administrative leadership and say, “I am willing to make sizable donations to BOTH the AD and academic side, but the academic side doesn’t get theirs unless there is full institutional support for Athletics”, and then work to develop that support model.

CU needs a billionaire donor (or two) who is willing to sit down w the AD and administrative leadership and say, “I am willing to make sizable donations to BOTH the AD and academic side, but the academic side doesn’t get theirs unless there is full institutional support for Athletics”, and then work to develop that support model.
Unicorn GIF by MOODMAN

Good luck with the Unicorn hunting.

Back