What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Build Rick George a Statue (was #fireRickGeorge)

I am hearing some rumblings about the RG/BuffClub conference call that happened. Serenity mentioned some ofit above. Does anybody have a brief recap? In particular, I heard RG strongly criticized Kelli Brooks, or perhaps some other big donors. True?
The things I read didn't say he criticized Kelli or other big donors specifically, but rather that he got defensive about all the social media criticism and basically said "get behind this coach because he isn't going anywhere". Take it for what it's worth as that's a 3rd hand account of what was discussed and have no idea how his tone came across

Anyone attend the RG call with Buff Club members? There's a thread on it over on 247. It seemed to consist of RG being upset at the criticisms he and KD are getting on social media and reiterating that KD is THE GUY (won't be fired, is super bummed about the losing). Apparently also mentioned that the rest of the season will build on the success at Oregon (the game CU lost by 23).

Seriously, **** him. Clean house.
If we did clean house, that wouldn't change admin support, unless you mean clean house upward too.

he got defensive about all the social media criticism and basically said "get behind this coach because he isn't going anywhere".
If RG tied himself to Dorrell in that manner, RG will be let go at the end of next season as well after a 2 win season (at best) and he still supports Dorrell. All those who want RG, Lance and Dorrell gone be patient, 12 months and there should be a full sweep after historic losses and an empty stadium.

How many years did Bohn have left on his contract when they fired him? I remember it being a little surprising when it happened but the details are fuzzy.

If RG tied himself to Dorrell in that manner, RG will be let go at the end of next season as well after a 2 win season (at best) and he still supports Dorrell. All those who want RG, Lance and Dorrell gone be patient, 12 months and there should be a full sweep after historic losses and an empty stadium.
I think anybody thinking next year will be different because we are "young" is delusional. That includes RG. If we get out of '22 with more than 2 wins, it will be a g'damn miracle.

What gives you the impression that anybody above RG gives a damn about their job performance? Or, more to the point, feels that they aren’t meeting the standards they agreed to?
Nothing is going to change until CU has a new President (probably take at least another year, maybe longer) and a new Chancellor (I get the impression that DiStefano is going to die at his desk in maybe another 10 years). Even when those two positions are filled, there’s absolutely no guarantee that they will be filled by people who care about athletics at all. In fact, given the state of the school in general the last 20 years, it’s far more likely that we will get more of the same forever.

What gives you the impression that anybody above RG gives a damn about their job performance? Or, more to the point, feels that they aren’t meeting the standards they agreed to?
Nothing is going to change until CU has a new President (probably take at least another year, maybe longer) and a new Chancellor (I get the impression that DiStefano is going to die at his desk in maybe another 10 years). Even when those two positions are filled, there’s absolutely no guarantee that they will be filled by people who care about athletics at all. In fact, given the state of the school in general the last 20 years, it’s far more likely that we will get more of the same forever.
Yeah, I am beginning to feel the same way.

I have been a fan since I hit campus in 1987. Up until about 2013 or so, I rarely missed a home game. After that it has been less and less fun to go to the games when CU isn't really even competitive. Beginning about two years ago, I went to just TV. I have not been to a game since 2019. 2020, the COVID year, I skipped all of them. I haven't been this year and I doubt I will until I see signs of life. I have arrived at pretty much total apathy. I am surprised CU has a fan base at this point.

Chancellor DiStefano - 2031

97B4A592-4503-40EA-9BEA-2724DF4ABDA2.jpeg

I’m biased but I’m so sick of the “what does it matter as long as we don’t change president too” argument. If there is a fire on your stove, you put it out even if there are foundation issues.

The ****ing stove is on fire, put it out. Make the best of it and then address the other issues.

I’m biased but I’m so sick of the “what does it matter as long as we don’t change president too” argument. If there is a fire on your stove, you put it out even if there are foundation issues.

The ****ing stove is on fire, put it out. Make the best of it and then address the other issues.
Yeah, that argument feels like a classic disinformation tactic from Plati.

Also I feel like it’s pointing out the obvious, but we hired Tucker and began developing a more robust recruiting infrastructure and then almost hired Sark whose last stint as a HC ended in termination due to alcoholism, and we did all that with basically the same “administration” we have now.

Also I feel like it’s pointing out the obvious, but we hired Tucker and began developing a more robust recruiting infrastructure and then almost hired Sark whose last stint as a HC ended in termination due to alcoholism, and we did all that with basically the same “administration” we have now.
Doesn’t that agree with Goose’s point?

You have to deal with the asshole who started the fire at some point. Otherwise, you’re treating symptoms, not the disease.

Having competitive athletics and high academic rankings is not mutually exclusive. Judging by many schools of all levels with athletic departments, it isn’t mutually exclusive.

Im sure the University did what it felt like needed to be done way back in the early 00’s to ward off any bad publicity. To continue pressing the nuke button on any shred of success that the football program experiences since seems to be a kick by oneself in the proverbial dick. Winning more than 3-5 games a season does not make your program one of the notorious bad-boy programs…getting high-profile recruits doesn’t mean you are greasing the palms of kids. I’m sure no coach out there is trying to make CU into the SMU of the early/mid 80’s.

un-button the collar on the shirt, loosen the tie, and live a little bit. It’s an investment in the institution. Put the brand out there. Kids will notice the school more, and might consider attending school at CU. people will plunk down money for CU Buffs gear. More publicity, etc. Yeah, having a solid men’s basketball team is wonderful! It’s not the same as football though, and why not have both?! Get more revenue into the AD, and let other sports flourish too.

This can’t be too difficult. kNU has been doing it despite a losing football team for 20 years…and a men’s bball team that is so bad, that most people in Nebraska follow a completely different school. Yet, kNU poses like they have a world beater in football, and the university and fan support that follows suit…

Phil DiStefano did not force Rick George to hire Karl Dorrell
Phil DiStefano did not tell Rick George to hand Karl Dorrell a fully guaranteed $18m contract
Phil DiStefano did not tear down the entire recruiting infrastructure that was in place from Mel Tucker
Phil DiStefano did not force Darrin Chiaverini on three different coaching staffs
Phil DiStefano did not approve the hiring of Mitch Rodrigue
Phil DiStefano is not the ultimate road block to this program winning 6-8 games/year

You have to deal with the asshole who started the fire at some point. Otherwise, you’re treating symptoms, not the disease.

The arsonist isn’t going anywhere so we might as well address what we can.

The arsonist isn’t going anywhere so we might as well address what we can.
Seems like that’s what we’ve been doing for the last 20 years - putting out fires, but not addressing the cause of the fires. Maybe we should try something different?

Seems like that’s what we’ve been doing for the last 20 years - putting out fires, but not addressing the cause of the fires. Maybe we should try something different?
We have to work with what we can. I don’t see any way the football fans oust the President and chancellor

We have to work with what we can. I don’t see any way the football fans oust the President and chancellor
They can’t. That’s true. Point being that we really shouldn’t expect much progress until those changes are made. And to depress you even more, I don’t expect that even when those people are replaced that their replacements will have any different views on athletics. We are what we are.
Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Phil DiStefano did not force Rick George to hire Karl Dorrell
Phil DiStefano did not tell Rick George to hand Karl Dorrell a fully guaranteed $18m contract
Phil DiStefano did not tear down the entire recruiting infrastructure that was in place from Mel Tucker
Phil DiStefano did not force Darrin Chiaverini on three different coaching staffs
Phil DiStefano did not approve the hiring of Mitch Rodrigue
Phil DiStefano is not the ultimate road block to this program winning 6-8 games/year
This.
Anyone who has ever spent time as an employee in higher ed knows this.
At the same time, a winning program provides resources that can be used for a variety of things...Mainly extra hot cheer leaders.

Phil is only the problem in terms of being supportive without demanding success on the field.

He participates in booster and recruiting functions, says "yes" to every request he can, and supports the AD agenda to his bosses. I love all that. Unfortunately, he doesn't know anything about this department & its KPIs beyond what the director in charge of it tells him is good or bad.

Phil is only the problem in terms of being supportive without demanding success on the field.

He participates in booster and recruiting functions, says "yes" to every request he can, and supports the AD agenda to his bosses. I love all that. Unfortunately, he doesn't know anything about this department & its KPIs beyond what the director in charge of it tells him is good or bad.
I view the administration as limiting CU from being a consistent Pac 12 Championship contender and national player. This program has all the support it needs to be what we all believe it should be, which is a 6-8 win team every year with the occasional, special 10+ win season

I can’t believe the gaul of RG. The product on the field is so incredibly bad that it defies reason. I think there is wide agreement that the talent on the team is better than what we are seeing every Saturday.

if we sat at 2-6 but were competitive I think there would be a lot less discontent but five of our six losses were absolute blowouts and we are the worst offense in FBS.

Our head coach wasn’t dialed in enough to understand how bad our OL coach was and nothing we do on offense fits our personal.

This is a dumpster fire of epic proportions and the buck stops with him.

How can he possibly be surprised that he is getting a bunch of negative tweets. How can expect the fan base to be sympathetic to this mess

I can’t believe the gaul of RG. The product on the field is so incredibly bad that it defies reason. I think there is wide agreement that the talent on the team is better than what we are seeing every Saturday.

if we sat at 2-6 but were competitive I think there would be a lot less discontent but five of our six losses were absolute blowouts and we are the worst offense in FBS.

Our head coach wasn’t dialed in enough to understand how bad our OL coach was and nothing we do on offense fits our personal.

This is a dumpster fire of epic proportions and the buck stops with him.

How can he possibly be surprised that he is getting a bunch of negative tweets. How can expect the fan base to be sympathetic to this mess
You're wrong. You'd have to be a Buff from the Mac tree to understand, though.

#fire stove

Back