What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Former Michigan WR Toney Clemons transferring to CU

Never have said Cody is a bad QB. I think he is a perfectly fine, middle of the road QB.

A lot of things have to go right for him to succeed. If he ends up being the guy this year, I hope a lot of things go right. Otherwise, we'll be listening to the same excuses about how it is the fault of every other player on the offense but Cody for another offseason.

What we're really talking about here are the 15-20 yard routes. Some of you seem convinced Cody has no trouble with these throws, I beg to differ.

I think you're 100% right. Cody needs to be able to set his feet and have a big window to throw to or he can't make this throw. A deep out's not even worth attempting.

First off: Welcome Mr. Clemons!!! :thumbsup:

Second, if Cody gets the start we'll be just fine. He's a Jr., two years starting experience, and will have better/more experienced players around him than he ever has. Assuming the injury bug doesn't hit hard again he'll have much better protection from the O-line, and the running game to keep defenses honest. The WR's should be a better unit this year as well. Put in the fact that the schedule will probably be the easiest one since he's been here and I think he'll do well.

Really good receivers can make a very average QB look like Joe Montana. I don't know if Simmons and Simas fit that mold, but we better hope they do.

some trouble with them? Yes, he does. However, if he can set his feet (which requires a good Oline), he can make them. Can he make them on the run or off balance? No.

A lot of people seem convinced he can never make those throws... which is just as untrue as saying he has no trouble with them.

So now you're admitting he has trouble with the 15-20 yard throws, so how can say he's stretching the field? That was my original post on this topic. I agree Hawkins is a good field general, a smart QB, and that can be enough for pretty good success if our OL gives him time and a great running game. But I'm still hoping for a guy with a live arm.

The weekly thread bitching about Cody... But I couldn't find a better ambassador for the program. And besides he is better than anyone else we have imo

So now you're admitting he has trouble with the 15-20 yard throws, so how can say he's stretching the field? That was my original post on this topic. I agree Hawkins is a good field general, a smart QB, and that can be enough for pretty good success if our OL gives him time and a great running game. But I'm still hoping for a guy with a live arm.
I thought he couldn't stretch the field? So you have admitted that he CAN?
Will pay off anywhere on the field, but we need a QB that can go downfield with the ball.
I thought he COULDN'T?

Make up your mind. Can you disagree with this statement?

If given time to set his feet, Cody can stretch the field.

I thought he couldn't stretch the field? So you have admitted that he CAN?

I thought he COULDN'T?

Make up your mind. Can you disagree with this statement?

If given time to set his feet, Cody can stretch the field.

??? Idot. You've learned to quote, now you really need to learn to read.

you are an idot. 15 to 20 requires a flatter trajectory and just as much force as a 40 yard bomb.

Back to topic Welcome kid and sure pleased we snagged you :smile:, I really have to believe that kids who play qb are taking notice of juyst exactly what type of wr depth is now going to be in CU going forward. Yes Austin notice :smile2:

Never have said Cody is a bad QB. I think he is a perfectly fine, middle of the road QB.

A lot of things have to go right for him to succeed. If he ends up being the guy this year, I hope a lot of things go right. Otherwise, we'll be listening to the same excuses about how it is the fault of every other player on the offense but Cody for another offseason.

Find me one credible person on this site who says it everyone fault but Cody's. I don't think anyone is trying to say that. But in every thread about Cody, you seem to pull this same lame line over and over again.

I'll say it again. Cody had a horrible season, but to lay our offenses problems all on him isn't fair. Cody can make the throws. He just needs some time, and some wr threats to make that happen. Jfly was getting doubled all season long and we all know Scotty isn't going to outrun anyone out there.

Find me one credible person on this site who says it everyone fault but Cody's. I don't think anyone is trying to say that. But in every thread about Cody, you seem to pull this same lame line over and over again.

I'll say it again. Cody had a horrible season, but to lay our offenses problems all on him isn't fair. Cody can make the throws. He just needs some time, and some wr threats to make that happen. Jfly was getting doubled all season long and we all know Scotty isn't going to outrun anyone out there.
shhh. cody can't throw. it's everyones fault but his own.

This debate will go nowhere, but I completely disagree that we know for sure that "Cody can make the throws." We know Cody can make some throws under certain conditions, but not much more than that. The WRs have been below average in his time as starting QB. The offensive line has been below average in his time as starting QB. But he also misses several open receivers and his progression through reads is average for someone everyone calls a smart QB.

Here's where I think you and I fundamentally disagree. I don't recall ever seeing anybody blame everybody but Cody. In fact, I think by saying that, you are basically laying the blame with Cody.

In the end, Cody and everybody else on the o needs to play better; one feeds off the other and, hopefully, the sum adds up to more than any individual part.

I will say that Cody can make the throws. Ironically the throws I'm remembering are all from the first 4-5 games of his two seasons as a starter.

Watch the WVU game and the throws he made in that one, or the 2007 OU game. There's plenty of examples in those games of what he can do when he has time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSJupyTCkg"]YouTube - Colorado vs West Virginia 2008[/ame]

I do think that he was not healthy or something happened in 2007 because the zip on his ball during the middle part of the season was non-exisitant

Here's where I think you and I fundamentally disagree. I don't recall ever seeing anybody blame everybody but Cody. In fact, I think by saying that, you are basically laying the blame with Cody.

In the end, Cody and everybody else on the o needs to play better; one feeds off the other and, hopefully, the sum adds up to more than any individual part.

That's fair. I don't think Cody is entirely to blame because we have had issues at all sorts of positions during his time as a starting QB.

I guess this is what concerns me about Cody: he has started for the better part of two seasons, well over 20 games, and I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what we have there.

shhh. cody can't throw. it's everyones fault but his own.

Idot, no one said he can't throw, but he can't throw deep with any consistency, which is all I've been saying. But you'll see these words and read something else, cuz that's what idots do. Oh, bother.

:yeahthat:

2 things Buff fans will never be happy with... the starting QB and Offensive Coordinator. I remember people were happy Klatt was graduating. Ya that worked out...

Idot, no one said he can't throw, but he can't throw deep with any consistency, which is all I've been saying. But you'll see these words and read something else, cuz that's what idots do. Oh, bother.

Watch that video about 1 minute in there is the 1st score against WVU its a perfectly thrown ball that he sets his feet on and travels 40+ yards in the air. He can throw deep enough to keep people honest, is he Jeff George or Jay cutler? NO. But ask the Detmer brothers if it matters how big your arm is in college?

Cody had a huge Sophomore slump exacerbated by losing most of the O-line, frankly arguing about throwing deep is a waste of time right now becuase the line last year was so bad after WVU that had he held the ball long enough to go 25+ yards down field with it he'd have been unconscious.

Last edited:
2 things Buff fans will never be happy with... the starting QB and Offensive Coordinator. I remember people were happy Klatt was graduating. Ya that worked out...

I was pretty happy with Hagan, Kordell and Koy. Kordell broke my heart whenever he played the nubs, but was brilliant the rest of the time.

that TD throw to J-fly was a ****ing laser beam. 40 yards on a rope, right in stride.

Later int he same game though we saw line issues rear their ugly head when he just got plastered becuase of a missed assignment. You cant have that happening to your QB ever even if you get luck and they aren't hurt it can unsettle them for an entire game.

If we can get something out of DS, Speedy comes back, and the line is better we'll see freshman year Cody and then some back. With our schedule that should get us to 8 wins.

I agree on offensive coordinator. Disagree about starting QB. Buff fans were plenty happy with QB play during the late 80s and early 90s. Sure, those teams had lots of talent, but it all started at QB. Those guys could ball. For whatever reason, we have really struggled to attract blue chip QBs over the last decade. If you think it is a coincidence that we have struggled over that same time period, I will vehemently disagree.

I agree on offensive coordinator. Disagree about starting QB. Buff fans were plenty happy with QB play during the late 80s and early 90s. Sure, those teams had lots of talent, but it all started at QB. Those guys could ball. For whatever reason, we have really struggled to attract blue chip QBs over the last decade. If you think it is a coincidence that we have struggled over that same time period, I will vehemently disagree.

Craig Ochs and Jeremy Weisinger were both very highly recruited QB's. Both were head cases. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Oh, and Colt Brennan came to CU before he went to Hawaii.

Maybe I should have added within the past decade re: the QB comment. Cody is better then anything else we have imo so I'll stick by him

Craig Ochs and Jeremy Weisinger were both very highly recruited QB's. Both were head cases. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Didn't we get some nfl star's little brother that turned out to totally suck?

Ochs and Weisinger were highly recruited. You're still only talking about two guys out of a 10-12 year stretch. Brennan was a walk-on.

Didn't we get some nfl star's little brother that turned out to totally suck?

Adam Bledsoe.

Ochs and Weisinger were highly recruited. You're still only talking about two guys out of a 10-12 year stretch. Brennan was a walk-on.

I know what you're saying, and I agree. I would prefer to have a quarterback with more physical skills than the one we have. Is Evans that guy? Perhaps. If Hansen can't unseat Cody, then there are some issues there. But it's also true that an average quarterback can do very well if all of the pieces around him are in place. A game manager, if you will. Simmons, Simas, Ussery, Darden, Smith, and Clemons will all be available in 2010, along with Scott, Speedy, Lock, and the entire offensive line. That's a lot of weapons for a game manager to use. I'm not a huge fan of "game management", but if it's all we have, then you hope for the best.

A Hawkins coached team will always be "game mangement" based...You won't see a high powered, big play offense like OU. Cody fits the methodical scheme well assuming that the people around him also produce. We are there with the backs, the line looks strong enough to go 4 quarters at that pace...just need the WRs to display some separation, blocking ability, and catching the GD ball!

Back