What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Friday Night Games

Again, what do you expect Scott to do about this? TV has a limited number of time slots. Every week they draft games. If ABC thinks Oregon vs. fUCLA (two weeks ago) is strong enough to go vs. the CBS SEC game, the PAC game will get that slot. ABC tells the PAC what time the game starts, not the conference. ESPN chose Arizona State vs. Washington this week. They decided it would be best for their 7:45 PST slot. Yeah, it sucks for East Coast viewership - I just don't know what you or anyone expects the PAC to do about it.

The only solution I can think of is starting the football day at 9am/6am. And even then, we'd still probably get 7:30 pacific games b/c TV wants compelling content in those slots.

What can Scott do? I don't know, how about get the conference on DirectTV after three f****** years?!

I get the TV slot deal, but if Pac12 network was national they could put the marquee games on earlier and dictate the time slot.

I am sure a lot of people on the easy coast are watching the Oregon/Cal game right now when it's 1am and still in the 3rd quarter. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, the TV contract does not allow direct competition with the 4-6 eastern time slot if ABC/ESPN or Fox are showing a PAC game.

I agree a deal needs to get done with DirecTV. But if DirecTV is offering a fraction what everyone else is paying, I can't blame the conference. As a PAC fan base I think we missed our window to force the issue in the first year, everyone took their freebies and Sunday Ticket. We've been over the favored nation clause, making less money getting a DirecTV deal on their terms, etc. Hopefully the ATT deal goes through and something can get done by next year. If DirecTV agreed to terms every other MSO is paying, it would mean an additional ~3 million a year in TV revenue just for CU.

And you don't get the TV slot deal if you are complaining about this time slot. This is the Fox Sports 1 time slot. I just do not understand what you guys want to do about it.

Last edited:
Again, the TV contract does not allow direct competition with the 4-6 eastern time slot if ABC/ESPN or Fox are showing a PAC game.

I agree a deal needs to get done with DirecTV. But if DirecTV is offering a fraction what everyone else is paying, I can't blame the conference. As a PAC fan base I think we missed our window to force the issue in the first year, everyone took their freebies and Sunday Ticket. We've been over the favored nation clause, making less money getting a DirecTV deal on their terms, etc. Hopefully the ATT deal goes through and something can get done by next year. If DirecTV agreed to terms every other MSO is paying, it would mean an additional ~3 million a year in TV revenue just for CU.

DirectTV called Larry Scott's bluff. I agree the fans didn't rise up in anger (hey, it's the west coast - everybody is more chill). Scott may need to take less or work out another deal as you bring up.

I love it. Carolina and cville talk population numbers on the east coast, how many of those people are above the mason Dixon line and don't give a **** about college football? Larry Scott doesn't care about the rinky dink towns you two live in. Sorry.

Let's take out New York and New England since I'm pretty sure Big10 schools care. So, roughly 224 million people east of MST not living in NY or New England. Again, I'm pretty sure the bitching would be far less if Scott didn't talk a big game about going national.

Btw, North Carolina and Virginia have a population 4x your tundra. Since you seem big on thinking the population of the South is somehow tiny, wake up, there are 124 million people below the Mason Dixon line. 112 million residing in SEC and ACC states below it.

Last edited:
If DirecTV was being reasonable - they would have arrived at a price point. What I have heard off line is if Scott agreed to anywhere close to the rate card DirecTV is asking, the conference would make less money with DirecTV than without. The favored nation clauses would kick in for our original partners.

Let's take out New York and New England since I'm pretty sure Big10 schools care. So, roughly 224 million people east of MST not living in NY or New England. Again, I'm pretty sure the bitching would be far less if Scott didn't talk a big game about going national.

Btw, North Carolina and Virginia have a population 4x your tundra.

Aside from not having a DirecTV deal done, I am totally lost what you are complaining about and still have yet to offer a solution. Yeah, the NE is populated. You think we'll get a sh8t load of PAC fans from there how? Playing more games at 5pm eastern? How you going to do that? And why would all these people watch PAC games over the B1G, ACC and SEC in the same time slot?

My main beef with the time zone isn't capturing casual fans, people who aren't tied to the Pac12 probably won't convert. It's the media. They aren't staying up either. That's why so many can't speak to the teams and depth in the conference IMO.

OK, got you. That is a very reasonable take. Still don't think there is much a solution, but definitely a legitimate concern. Its always been the case out here though.

Aside from not having a DirecTV deal done, I am totally lost what you are complaining about and still have yet to offer a solution. Yeah, the NE is populated. You think we'll get a sh8t load of PAC fans from there how? Playing more games at 5pm eastern? How you going to do that? And why would all these people watch PAC games over the B1G, ACC and SEC in the same time slot?

You're welcome to scroll back and find my postings on it. I'm totally confused. Larry Scott put media day in NYC. Are you implying he was wrong?

I think Scott's rhetoric ignited this fire. The inability to then follow through with DirecTV does hurt. It's a big deal. I personally don't expect 9am games. The worst part is our current situation is hurting us in the polls. It's certainly not all in the control
of the Pac, I'm not for a second claiming that. But getting our hopes up with rhetoric of visibility in the east and then failing to follow through is a disappointment. Anyway, tired of going in circles on this every month. I'm out.

Back to football.

I never mind seeing BYU lose although them beating Boise wouldn't bother me much. Hard for BYU though since they have some very key injuries.

DBT is right though that watching a game on Boise's turf is headache inducing. Add to that Boise wearing possibly the ugliest uniforms I've seen this year and it looks kind of like it did in the old days when a TV went on the fritz and the colors all got messed up.

I wonder if this was the loss that makes BYU fans realize the playoff isn't in the cards

Changes things a little bit, doesn't it? Of course, we don't have one now, but we will have one again, and if the conference is still getting slots like this, I guarantee you'll be pissed about it.

Not with MMs recruiting we won't.

The Buffs are a Mountain timeZone team. I'm not the one pissed. I moved back to Boulder and get to watch games at a reasonable time. You can suck on that egg.

**** the east coast. Going to enjoy a noon game tomorrow.

Btw, North Carolina and Virginia have a population 4x your tundra. Since you seem big on thinking the population of the South is somehow tiny, wake up, there are 124 million people below the Mason Dixon line. 112 million residing in SEC and ACC states below it.

Lets get some basic numbers into this discussion:

316 million people live in the US.
14.6 million are in new england
19.6 in NY
NC/VA have a combined population of 18mm
Colorado's population is 5.3 mm (I assume this is our "tundra" do we get to include Utah and their 3mm?)
half the us population does not live in est it is 44%
MST+PST+NY and NE as you suggest leaves you with closer to 200 mm housholds not 225
California is bigger than: VA, SC, NC, MD, DE, and GA combined

You moved the goal post to include CST which where at least based on our traffic stats it would indicate our exposure is actually decent. Relative to population we index at about 100 for texas and over index for chicago, this is for a very ****ty football team. We dont seem to have a Texas/Chicago exposure problem. The place where the issues arise is the east-coast, but when 95% of your audience wants one thing that portion gets it.

You'll also recall the Network tried in year one to maximize exposure and expand the audience outside of the footprint but the Pac12 schools (cali especially) complained to Scott&co about start times specifically early weekday starts, too early and too late starts for football and hoops. So as the technical owners of the network the schools forced restructured schedules on the pac-nets because of the negative effects from that first year scheduling on attendance and student athletes lives. The other thing is the western footprint is so much less saturated than the southeast for CFB that there is way more to gain/lose in footprint so the focus for now is there. Ostensibly the Pac12 isnt going to put a game in a time slot say 4 or 5pst on a weekday that cuts attendance by 20% and drops the in footprint ratings by 30% to pick up out of footprint households because they'll lose far more in footprint viewers than they gain outside of the footprint.

Come on man. Really? The SEC, B12 and P12 haven't schedule ****, its TV. The SEC and B12 don't kick their games off at 10PM, the preferred time slot of weekday games. The PAC has very little control over when the games are scheduled. The PAC Network games at 5pm can only be played if the PAC isn't playing on ABC/ESPN.

TV makes the football schedules. It's why we get 3 billion over the next 13 years.

skibum,

Why do we find out game times a little under 2 weeks before the game?

The networks tell the PAC-12 what teams it wants in what slots. Then, PACN is barred from direct competition with those ESPN & FOX picks. The rest of games are slotted for PACN to achieve the highest possible rating.

Read the very first line of the post man...

I'm talking about Thursday and Friday games, not Saturday.

The conference scheduled the Thursday and Friday games, and because those games are played on a school day, they often can't start early enough to not be a late east coast game.

Outside of the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is a special case anyway, the P12 knows damn well that any game it schedules for Thursday or Friday is going to be played when half the country is already asleep. It knows that in March/April when the schedule is set. It's not like two weeks ago they were disappointed when they didn't get the early slot for last night's Cal-Oregon game.

Saturday is different.

Read the very first line of the post man...

I'm talking about Thursday and Friday games, not Saturday.

The conference scheduled the Thursday and Friday games, and because those games are played on a school day, they often can't start early enough to not be a late east coast game.

Outside of the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is a special case anyway, the P12 knows damn well that any game it schedules for Thursday or Friday is going to be played when half the country is already asleep. It knows that in March/April when the schedule is set. It's not like two weeks ago they were disappointed when they didn't get the early slot for last night's Cal-Oregon game.

Read my notes the schools have specifically complained about these early weekday games, it depresses fan attendance to games and they get very poor in footprint ratings because people are still at work.

19.6 in NY
Colorado's population is 5.3 mm (I assume this is our "tundra" do we get to include Utah and their 3mm?)
MST+PST+NY and NE as you suggest leaves you with closer to 200 mm housholds not 225

You moved the goal post to include CST which where at least based on our traffic stats it would indicate our exposure is actually decent. Relative to population we index at about 100 for texas and over index for chicago, this is for a very ****ty football team. We dont seem to have a Texas/Chicago exposure problem. The place where the issues arise is the east-coast, but when 95% of your audience wants one thing that portion gets it.

You'll also recall the Network tried in year one to maximize exposure and expand the audience outside of the footprint but the Pac12 schools (cali especially) complained to Scott&co about start times specifically early weekday starts, too early and too late starts for football and hoops. So as the technical owners of the network the schools forced restructured schedules on the pac-nets because of the negative effects from that first year scheduling on attendance and student athletes lives. The other thing is the western footprint is so much less saturated than the southeast for CFB that there is way more to gain/lose in footprint so the focus for now is there. Ostensibly the Pac12 isnt going to put a game in a time slot say 4 or 5pst on a weekday that cuts attendance by 20% and drops the in footprint ratings by 30% to pick up out of footprint households because they'll lose far more in footprint viewers than they gain outside of the footprint.
I didn't move the goal posts, someone else did. But your 44% in EST is wrong. It's over 47%, which I've rounded to 50%. I know, you've added up the population of the actual states, but there are several states that are split between time zones. Unless you're doing a census tract by census tract analysis (the 47% was based on 2011 census numbers btw), you're going to get it wrong, and because it's usually major cities (and/or their suburbs) that that are carved in or out of different time zones, the numbers swing quite a bit.

I've never argued that the P12 should put a weekday game on at 5pm local. That would not be smart (or even possible on many campuses). What I have said is that they shouldn't schedule marquee games for Thursday and Friday night. The P12 is the only P5 conference that does that so regularly - the only SEC scheduled games involving a ranked team played on those nights was the first week of the season, which I would also argue is a somewhat special case. It makes sense for the AAC, MWC, etc to put their marquee teams and games on those nights; it does not make sense for a P5 conference to do so.

I'm not sure how not having Thu and Fri games on ESPN and FS1 gives any benefit to anyone.

Those broadcasters paid for those games.

PACN has 6 games a week (minimum) and there aren't 6 distinct time slots on Saturday, especially if all the kickoffs are before 6pm ET.

I simply don't know what the real complaint is here. That it's inconvenient for east coasters to watch a number of Pac-12 games? Yes. It is. Always has been, always will be. Time zones and all. That "1am in the 3rd quarter" situation that east coasters had last night meant that everyone on MT had a game on at 11pm (or 10pm for those in PT) on the tv at the bar or in our living rooms... just like the rest of the country gets with its ACC, B1G, SEC and Big 12 games.

19.6 in NY

Wrong. It's 39,773,359 to 38,340,000. 5 of the 6 states you mention are also growing at a faster rate than CA.

Wrong. Being discussed long before I made that post, despite teets attempts to move the goalposts and discuss only southern states bordering the Atlantic.

Wrong. It's 39,773,359 to 38,340,000. 5 of the 6 states you mention are also growing at a faster rate than CA.

Wrong. Being discussed long before I made that post, despite teets attempts to move the goalposts and discuss only southern states bordering the Atlantic.

Apologies for being slightly off on the CA totals I was rounding while wrangling a 2 year old, you are right those states combined are roughly 5% larger than CA. Point still stands that California and saturating the home market is more valuable than trying to triple our exposure on the east coast because the home market has much more room for growth, getting 20% in our footprint would dwarf any gains we can get out east. Especially because gains in other timezones will come at some expense to the home market.

"Growth rate" is a red herring because of the size of CA, DE grew at 3.1% to CA's 2.9 for DE that meant 28,000 people for Calif it meant ~1,080 million Since 2010 Growth in those 6 eastern states was roughly the same 1.06 to 1.07 million (eyeball rounded).

As for timezone I goolged population of EST as 141 million which I took against the total population of 316 million, granted again an estimate.

Back