What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of Florida recruiting & CU footprint

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
The 3 coaches on staff who pulled CU into Florida recruiting (and Georgia to a lesser extent) were Tumpkin, Clark and Leavitt. With the latter two gone and Tumpkin's status very tenuous, it's a big open question of whether CU will continue to put resources toward recruiting this geography.

A lot depends on which coaches MacIntyre hires to the staff.

Here's the breakdown from 2011-2015 of the total number of 3*/4*/5* recruits per state: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits

Here's the breakdown of all 51:
StateRecruits
1. Texas1,337
2. Florida1,295
3. California878
4. Georgia758
5. Ohio462
6. Louisiana333
7. North Carolina284
8. Alabama277
9. Pennsylvania257
10. Virginia245
11. Illinois232
12. New Jersey222
13. Michigan190
14t. Maryland184
14t. Tennessee184
16. Mississippi182
17. South Carolina173
18. Indiana132
19. Arizona131
20. Oklahoma116
21. Missouri104
22. Utah98
23. Washington94
24. Arkansas89
25. New York78
26. Colorado60
27. Kentucky59
28. Kansas58
29. District of Columbia57
30. Wisconsin54
31. Massachusetts52
32. Hawaii47
33. Oregon43
34t. Iowa41
34t. Nevada41
36. Connecticut39
37. Minnesota36
38. Nebraska24
39. Delaware17
40. Idaho16
41t. New Mexico10
41t. West Virginia10
43. South Dakota4
44t. New Hampshire3
44t. Rhode Island3
46t. Montana2
46t. North Dakota2
46t. Wyoming2
49t. Maine1
49t. Vermont1
51. Alaska0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The case for continuing in Florida and Georgia is obvious: tons of talent.
The case against it is also obvious: way outside geographic footprint & tons of competition.

Under MacIntyre and other CU coaches, the footprint that we've seen is as follow:

California: 3 or more for Northern, LA region & SD/OC plus less populated areas
Texas: 3 or more for Houston, Dallas & Austin/San Antonio metros plus less populated areas
Arizona: 1 for entire state
Washington/Oregon: 1 for both plus additional territories (not currently covered by CU)
Utah/Nevada: 1 for both plus additional territories
Hawaii: 1 who has other responsibilities
Louisiana: 1 who has other responsibilities, usually paired with Houston metro
Colorado: 1 who directs in-state effort, but usually every coach takes some

I think that's the foundation of CU's natural footprint.

What I'd like to see with the new hires (and the likely addition of a 10th assistant under new NCAA rule):

1. Get back into Washington/Oregon.
2. Recruit our border states with an Oklahoma/Kansas recruiter.
3. De-emphasize Florida, Georgia and anywhere else outside the geographic footprint. Instead, have one guy who is "national" and will hit the major private schools in NJ, FL, etc. that have concentrated talent.

It's interesting to me that California is so far behind Fla & Texas in player rankings, but the runaway leader in putting players in the NFL.

It's interesting to me that California is so far behind Fla & Texas in player rankings, but the runaway leader in putting players in the NFL.
I think it's because basketball is just as big of a sport in California as football, maybe even more important.

It's hard for me to comment until we fill out the staff, but I also think you have to factor in our policy of position coaches helping recruit their position. Specifically, can you imagine Jeffcoat hitting up Florida, Texas, and Cali all in one week? I'm amazed that he was able to cover as much ground as he did this week.

It's hard for me to comment until we fill out the staff, but I also think you have to factor in our policy of position coaches helping recruit their position. Specifically, can you imagine Jeffcoat hitting up Florida, Texas, and Cali all in one week? I'm amazed that he was able to cover as much ground as he did this week.

Good point.

Something else that I forgot to emphasize is that the program goal every year is to win the PAC-12. Winning recruiting battles in the PAC-12 footprint forces conference rivals to a Plan B, so getting talent in this footprint carries more weight on competitive position for the program.

Good point.

Something else that I forgot to emphasize is that the program goal every year is to win the PAC-12. Winning recruiting battles in the PAC-12 footprint forces conference rivals to a Plan B, so getting talent in this footprint carries more weight on competitive position for the program.
Great point. We've stepped up our game in SoCal, but that's really just the beginning of the climb out of the basement. Hoping the elites fill up early is not a long-term position that I want to embrace.

Poly recruiting and a bigger emphasis on Arizona would be nice to see going forward. Arizona recruits are usually open to leaving.
I agree about the Poly recruiting. CU has had strong contributions from Poly players over the years. We seem to get a good ROI on the recruiting work we do with them. Arizona is a question mark for me. I think we can do well there if we get the right guy to recruit it but it seems like the best AZ kids always seem to end up in California.

Unless we can make a dramatic change I'm done with us wasting time in Nevada. Get our hopes up every year then they end up someplace else, just not worth the time and effort.

Again it would depend on getting the right guy on the staff to do it but if one of our new assistants has a background in the southeast I would like us to keep working FL and GA. A lot of those kids do seem willing leave the state. A lot of Florida kids have families from other places anyways so the roots aren't that deep. There is just so much speed down there and the level of competition is high enough to develop kids.

Your aversion to recruiting Las Vegas is strange. An easy stop-over on the way to So Cal. The energy to recruit there is not really taking away from anywhere else.

If you are spending time there it is taking away from someplace else.

Every year it seems like we get all excited about some NV recruits. How many solid contributors have we had from that state in the past?
Last player I found on the rosters from NV was Liloa Nobriga in 2011.

Yes it is a convenient place to recruit and yes the state produces some very good talent that is willing to leave the state but eventually you get results or you put your effort elsewhere. I'm not in any way saying it should be on our recruiting map but CU has had much more contribution from Idaho than Nevada in recent years.

Give me some results and I'd gladly change my mind but right now our Nevada recruiting is just making us feel nice and warm and leaving us with a wet leg and foot.

It essentially involves recruiting 2-3 schools and again, it does not take much energy away from other areas. Easy flight from Denver and elsewhere out west. It would dumb to ignore an area of talent within the Pac-12 footprint. Same goes for Arizona.

The argument to recruit Arizona/Nevada is much stronger than Georgia/Florida. Those areas would require a lot more effort than focusing on Arizona/Nevada as secondary areas.

It essentially involves recruiting 2-3 schools and again, it does not take much energy away from other areas. Easy flight from Denver and elsewhere out west. It would dumb to ignore an area of talent within the Pac-12 footprint. Same goes for Arizona.

The argument to recruit Arizona/Nevada is much stronger than Georgia/Florida. Those areas would require a lot more effort than focusing on Arizona/Nevada as secondary areas.

yeah but results aren't there. We also need to stop recruiting Mullen HS and probably Valor HS too. Takes up too much time

I get what you are saying but we have heard it for years. Where are the results. We have quality recruits from FL/GA signed and more coming. We have some from AZ but NV is a big zero.

If one of the new coaches has a history of success in NV and can change our fortunes there go for it but when your net return is zero any investment is wasted.

In any given year, you are talking about only a handful of players. This year, we recruited four players from there pretty hard, three from Bishop Gorman. Next year, possibly our top running back prospect will play there. How much effort are we really talking here?

In any given year, you are talking about only a handful of players. This year, we recruited four players from there pretty hard, three from Bishop Gorman. Next year, possibly our top running back prospect will play there. How much effort are we really talking here?

Enough to take away from someplace else unless we get some results.

Your logic is sound, it is in the footprint, good players, most go out of state. I am just sick of zero results. It seems like from early in the Hawkins years we had a couple of guys from NV that we got excited about. I could live with losing them even most years but the results are obvious, and painful. We are getting almost nothing out of there. I'd rather the coaches be spending that time in a HS in LA or SD if those are the results we are getting.

Again, if we happen to hire a coach who has proven he can get kids out of NV then great, go for it. Right now even if it isn't a lot of time spent it is time wasted based on the results we are getting.

Think of Las Vegas recruiting as an extension of Inland Empire recruiting. It's seriously a 1 hour flight from Ontario to Las Vegas. You're advocating we don't bother recruiting one of the most productive high schools on the west coast.

Think of Las Vegas recruiting as an extension of Inland Empire recruiting. It's seriously a 1 hour flight from Ontario to Las Vegas. You're advocating we don't bother recruiting one of the most productive high schools on the west coast.

If our time can be spent someplace else that gets better results yes.

Either get some results or get out. Show me the results.

The coaches are going to recruit California hard every single year. It is a core recruiting area (along with Colorado and Texas). The time spent in Las Vegas is not diminishing efforts in those states. Those states will be recruited with a lot of effort, no matter what happens elsewhere.

The issue is whether we choose to treat Florida/Georgia/Louisiana with the same effort we currently use there. You talk about the wasted efforts in Las Vegas and Arizona, but you seem to be conveniently ignoring that Florida is not exactly a hotbed for us. Even before Leavitt left, we had two lightly recruited commits and one other player (Edwards) considering us, albeit as a longshot. Compared to the offers/effort, is that really any good?

Blackmon
Rakestraw
Huntley
Julmisse
Jackson

Yes I would say we have some return on the time spent recruiting FL/GA. Went to the roster looking for the NV players. Strangely didn't see any.

AZ I can see, we have had some results there. Unless you can tell me how things are going to change in NV then no, don't pretend like it is a place for us to recruit.

I will put you down as thinking recruiting Kirby Bennett is a complete waste of time. Thankfully, I am guessing the coaches disagree.

We've seen a gigantic leap in Texas this year. I'd like to think that we see progress there going forward. If we can take just as big of a step in Socal in 2018, we will be in business. Losing out on Florida isn't the end of the world if we keep up Texas/Socal recruiting.

Vegas/Nevada recruiting starts with Bishop Gorman. Why anyone would ever stop recruiting one of the best HS programs in the nation is asinine, IMO. The best players from all over the west coast go there. Just because we missed out this year doesn't not mean you stop. Glad the coaches don't think this way.

Back