What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future Quarterback

Agree, I don't want him here either. But part of me wonders if he would try to transfer here because of KD and Laviska, although they only played together one year it might be something he considers.

Just curious why? If he won a 6A state championship in Texas and replaced the 3A QB from Colorado I see what as a win...

You guys think Luke Mccafrey is a fit with the new regime? Not sure I’m sold on him but it seems we want a dual threat guy. Also doesn’t hurt to get a recruit away from Nebraska

You guys think Luke Mccafrey is a fit with the new regime? Not sure I’m sold on him but it seems we want a dual threat guy. Also doesn’t hurt to get a recruit away from Nebraska

giphy.gif

Just curious why? If he won a 6A state championship in Texas and replaced the 3A QB from Colorado I see what as a win...
Duff alluded to it earlier, but he's a very prima donna player. Played for three different high schools due to his own volition, he hits adversity in his first year as a starter and immediately decides to transfer? He's a me first kind of player and on top of that he's not that accurate of a passer. Sure he's athletic and fast but he can't throw the ball that well. Also very turnover prone.

A few names to keep an eye on that Jay Johnson is connected with on Twitter:

Lance LeGendre - former KU commit from New Orleans who opened things up after getting offers from Georgia, Alabama, Florida State and others. Planning to commit in February. Are there academic issues here? One of the top Dual Threat QBs in the nation but no official visits taken.

David Baldwin-Griffin - uncommitted. starred at Upland HS in CA where Hagan has recruited heavily before transferring to IMG for his senior year where he ended up splitting time with other D1 QBs. Another Dual Threat QB. Offers list is very impressive. Visited Mizzou last weekend but no visit set for this weekend.

Dillon Gabriel - former Army commit from Hawaii who opened things up after he blew up with offers from Georgia, UCF and USC coming in. Visited UGA last weekend & is scheduled to visit USC this weekend. Very much a Dual Threat QB and may not fit what Kliff Kingsbury is going to do at USC but could be a very good fit for Johnson's offensive system.

If our QBs are going to be more like the running type, I like that idea since Hagan was a HS option QB recruited as a RB for the Buffs before going back to QB. This change in offensive philosophy has me all tingly inside.

If our QBs are going to be more like the running type, I like that idea since Hagan was a HS option QB recruited as a RB for the Buffs before going back to QB. This change in offensive philosophy has me all tingly inside.

These guys are dual threat QBs, not really Hagan types.

Think we could then put Tee Martin as qb coach and just have the new guy be OC and not a position coach? I’ve never been a fan of having a tight end coach unless he’s a monster recruiter. Have them split time with the oline and the receivers.

No.

Part of the reason you hired Jay Johnson was because of his track record coaching QBs.
Well I’d prefer he not ignore the qb position. My thought was he’d oversee all positions and give input all over the offense. I am just trying to find a way to add a recruiter like Martin who I think we desperately need.

Well I’d prefer he not ignore the qb position. My thought was he’d oversee all positions and give input all over the offense. I am just trying to find a way to add a recruiter like Martin who I think we desperately need.

That is not what you want a coordinator to do. He should be coaching the coaches and being in the meeting room for QBs.

If you really wanted Martin, you would just hire him at RB or TE, the recruiting positions on offense. You do not hire a guy to coach one of the two most technical aspects on offense (QB and OL) just because he can recruit.

The way to do that would have been hiring him as OC/WR, but that's not a great model to follow and he's not a very good OC. The ideal way would have been to have an Inside WRs/TEs coach and Outside WRs coach. Maybe CU could have offered him Outside WRs/AHC title or something, but regardless, not happening.

A name from the transfer market we should watch:

Shawn Robinson: was the QB for Nixon and Shenault at De Soto with Jynes his center. Just announced he is transferring from TCU and would have to redshirt in 2019, after which he'd be a RS-Junior in 2020. Follows Mel Tucker, Josh Jynes, Jaylon Jackson, Laviska Shenault and KD Nixon.

Robinson had a sensational senior season at DeSoto, leading it to a state championship. He threw for more than 3,400 yards with 28 touchdowns and rushed for another 1,469 yards and 19 TDs on the ground.

Robinson earned a four-star rating by 247Sports, and became one of the highest-rated recruits for TCU under coach Gary Patterson. He started one game as a true freshman in 2017, leading the Frogs to a win at Texas Tech, and opened this season as the starter.

Robinson started the first seven games this season, going 3-4. He was 124-for-204 passing for 1,334 yards with nine touchdowns and eight interceptions this season. He also rushed for 301 yards on 49 carries, scoring three times.

Robinson underwent season-ending shoulder surgery after the Oklahoma game. He initially sustained the injury in the Iowa State game on Sept. 29, but tried to play through it.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article222877025.html#storylink=cpy

Think we could then put Tee Martin as qb coach and just have the new guy be OC and not a position coach? I’ve never been a fan of having a tight end coach unless he’s a monster recruiter. Have them split time with the oline and the receivers.
Tee Martin has been a WR coach, not a QB coach. Would make a lot more sense to put him as "Pass Game Coordinator & Outside Receivers" with Chev as our "Recruiting Coordinator and Inside Receivers". Johnson needs to be coaching QBs and will be.

But isn't he joining Locksley at Maryland as his OC? I think the Tee Martin ship has sailed.

Tee Martin has been a WR coach, not a QB coach. Would make a lot more sense to put him as "Pass Game Coordinator & Outside Receivers" with Chev as our "Recruiting Coordinator and Inside Receivers". Johnson needs to be coaching QBs and will be.

But isn't he joining Locksley at Maryland as his OC? I think the Tee Martin ship has sailed.
He’s played qb at a high level, I don’t think it would be that big of a stretch.

I did see that with Maryland so unfortunately I think we’re gonna miss the boat there

A few names to keep an eye on that Jay Johnson is connected with on Twitter:

Lance LeGendre - former KU commit from New Orleans who opened things up after getting offers from Georgia, Alabama, Florida State and others. Planning to commit in February. Are there academic issues here? One of the top Dual Threat QBs in the nation but no official visits taken.

David Baldwin-Griffin - uncommitted. starred at Upland HS in CA where Hagan has recruited heavily before transferring to IMG for his senior year where he ended up splitting time with other D1 QBs. Another Dual Threat QB. Offers list is very impressive. Visited Mizzou last weekend but no visit set for this weekend.

Dillon Gabriel - former Army commit from Hawaii who opened things up after he blew up with offers from Georgia, UCF and USC coming in. Visited UGA last weekend & is scheduled to visit USC this weekend. Very much a Dual Threat QB and may not fit what Kliff Kingsbury is going to do at USC but could be a very good fit for Johnson's offensive system.
Good sleuthing.

Nope. I am a big believer in OC/QB combo. Huge synergies, especially installing a new O and for recruiting.

Edit: Ignore. Discussed above.

There is NO WAY. None. Nada. Nyet. Nein. He ain't coming to CU.

Even if we actually use our tight ends as receivers?

Back