What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- #20 LACROSSE hosts ASU (Fri., 4/12/24, 3:00 PM MT; Pac-12 Net.) and Kent State (Sunday, Noon PM, Pac 12 Mtn.)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The regular season for the #20 ranked LACROSSE Buffs (8-4 overall, 3-1 in the Pac 12) is winding down with only 4 games remaining, 3 of which are at home. 2 of those are this weekend, starting off with a big Friday afternoon Pac 12 matchup with the Arizona State Sun Devils (ASU; 7-6, 2-2), followed up with a final non-conference game Sunday at noon against the Kent State Golden Flashes (KSU; 5-9, 2-2 in the MAC).
(Interesting to me that this weekend is the only time the Buffs will have a traditional 2 home game weekend all season, and will even the only time all season the Buffs will have had 2 straight games in Boulder in any timespan.)

Both games are slotted to be viewable on one or the other Pac 12 Network channel(s). (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Note - In the latest NCAA release for the RPI ratings (as of 4/9, https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-women/d1/ncaa-womens-lacrosse-rpi), CU is at #28, while ASU is #48 and Kent State #104.
(As I mentioned in previous game threads, the lacrosse NCAA tournament is much smaller most other team sports, and there are only 14 at-large teams selected. Therefore, I'm GUESSING that if the Buffs want to have ANY chance to be one of those 13, they will need to win every remaining regular season game and get to the conference tournament final. This would mean they upset USC (who currently is at #20 in RPI) in L.A. next Sunday, as well as likely having to make it to and defeat USC or Stanford in the conference semis. (Of course, the Pac 12 tourney will always give them a chance at earning the conference auto-bid if they win the whole thing.))

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more info on the upcoming opponents :

ASU :
Roster
- https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster
Stats - https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/stats
Schedule - https://thesundevils.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule
Their preview article - https://thesundevils.com/news/2024/4/10/lacrosse-travels-to-colorful-colorado-for-pair-of-games.aspx

Kent State :
Roster
- https://kentstatesports.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster
Stats - https://kentstatesports.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/stats
Schedule - https://kentstatesports.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video -
Vs. ASU -
Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National, Mountain and Arizona channels. For anyone with a subscription to any service that includes access to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-lacrosse/event/2024/04/12/arizona-state-colorado .
Vs. Kent State - Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For anyone with a subscription to any service that includes access to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-lacrosse/event/2024/04/14/kent-state-colorado .

Link to link to live stats (All games) - https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo
Specific game link(s) (left blank if not available as I type this.):
Vs. ASU - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=517329
Vs. Kent State - https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/index.html?id=517330

Last edited:
One thing I just noticed on the schedule that I wanted to note in case I forget to later - Friday afternoon's game is at Prentup Field (the soccer team's home @ East Campus) rather than the usual Kittredge Field . (The later is still where Sunday's game is scheduled to take place.)

Preview from cubuffs now available for tomorrow's (Friday's) and Sunday's games -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/4/11/lacrosse-the-no-20-buffaloes-to-host-arizona-state-and-kent-state

"
BOULDER — The No. 20 Colorado Buffaloes will host Arizona State and Kent State this weekend for two games. The first matchup will be Friday against the Sun Devils at 3 p.m. MST, followed up by a game against the Golden Flashes on Sunday at 12 p.m. MST.

The Buffs are fresh off a big road conference win over UC Davis this past week and are 8-4 (3-1, Pac-12). ASU is entering Friday's contest with a 7-6 (2-2, Pac-12) record, and have won their last two games including a league win over Cal. Kent State is 5-9 but won their previous game over Akron.

"This is a really exciting weekend for us," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "We are glad to be home for this two game weekend, the weather is supposed to be great and we hope to get a good crowd at our games. Obviously Friday is a huge game for us being a conference game."

The most experienced player on the roster, Ashley Stokes, is arguably coming off the greatest game of her career after posting six goals and two assists in the win against UC Davis.

She is one of three CU players this season with six or more goals in a game, Eve Hritzuk did it in the season opener against Louisville, and Madeline Pisani also tallied six goals in the game at Davis.

Pisani earned her career-high with those six goals on Saturday, and scored four of her six goals in the second half. Her season total is now up to 43 after 12 games, which is the most goals in the first 12 games career started by a player in program history.

Her and Stokes combined for 12 goals in the win, the most by a pair of CU teammates since Pisani and Hritzuk had 11 the first game of the season. Stokes and Pisani are also the only pair of teammates to score in every game thus far this season.

Jess Peluso has been nothing short of impressive all season long, locking it down on one half of the field for the Buffs. Peluso has 28 caused turnovers in a dozen games, which comes out to averaging 2.33 CTO 's per game. She has logged multiple CTO's in four consecutive games and has had at least one CTO in the last 11 games.

"This is a good Arizona state team - talented, tough and scrappy," coach Whidden said. "They have played a great non-conference schedule to prepare them for these conference games just like us. We know the importance of this game and coming out strong, it's a game we have to find a way to win. We have been focused this week and are looking forward to Friday. Sunday we get another opportunity to play Kent State, we have to go one game at a time and get it done Friday, but we are looking forward to the two game weekend as that prepares you for tournament time and outside of last week with our 3 games in 8 days, it's been a while since we've had these two game weekends. We know it'll be a quick turn around and we will have to regroup and refocus quickly after Friday to be successful Sunday."

INSIDE THE SERIES
Colorado holds a 7-3 advantage all-time over the Sun Devils, and have claimed the last two showdowns. CU is 4-1 in the series when playing in Boulder and will look to continue their success this weekend.

Kent State and Colorado have never met on the lacrosse field and Sunday's event will be the first.

GAME INFO
Live stream for Friday's game can be found here. Live stats found here.

Live stream for Sunday's game can be found here. Live stats found here.
"

Note I need to take back what I wrote a couple posts up - the game is at their usual place (Kittredge Field), AND the time I have in the thread title for today's game was off- it's at 3:00 PM MT and not 4:00. (Don't know if they tweeked the schedule or I'm just confused.?.)

Last edited:
Let me know if there's anything we can do to support you Aztec!

For both the tennis and lacrosse matches today, I'll probably be asleep here in Asia, so if anyone wants to post an occasional score, that will be great.

Otherwise, I just made a post for tennis in a lacrosse thread. (I've come to expect that kind of thing with my admittedly addled mind.)

For both the tennis and lacrosse matches today, I'll probably be asleep here in Asia, so if anyone wants to post an occasional score, that will be great.

Otherwise, I just made a post for tennis in a lacrosse thread. (I've come to expect that kind of thing with my admittedly addled mind.)
I'll be at the LAX match (late, because I'll also be at Prime's presentation at the Conference of World Affairs). I'll see what I can do.

Media after today's win:
(With the win, believe the Buffs have insured they're no worse than a 3 seed at the Pac 12 tourney.)

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/4/12/lacrosse-no-20-colorado-defeats-arizona-state-at-home

"
BOULDER — Ashley Stokes tied the school record with seven assists and Maddie Shoup scored a career-high six goals on Friday, which paved the way for the No. 20 Colorado Buffaloes in a 20-12 win over conference opponent Arizona State. Colorado moves to 9-4 (4-1, Pac-12), while Arizona State is now 7-7 (2-3, Pac-12).

After trailing 3-0 early in first quarter, the Buffs managed to go on an 8-2 scoring run the rest of the first half, which would eventually secure the win. They have now won back-to-back games and four consecutive conference games since losing to Stanford. It was the first game all season the Buffaloes have posted 20 or more goals.

"Proud of the team for their composure down the stretch," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden stated. "When the game got close in the 4th quarter we stayed focused and executed the plays we needed. This was the key to our success in the beginning of the year and proud we found that today and managed the game well."

A few Buffaloes did it all today, with Shoup and Pisani combining for nine of the 20 CU goals. Shoup recorded three of those goals in the first quarter alone. She had a career-high six goals on the day, breaking her previous-high of three which she set against Northwestern earlier in the season. She is the third different Colorado player this season to record at least six goals in a game.

Pisani recorded her twelfth multi-score game of the season, with her three goals on Friday. She also had a career-high three assists and ended with six points overall. Her season total is up to 46 goals, most on the team and in the Pac-12 Conference.

Ashley Stokes didn't find the back of net but set a career-high and tied a school record in assists with seven on the day, leading all CU players in points. She assisted on all four of the consecutive goals in the second quarter by the Buffs, three of which were scored by Pisani. Katie Macleay was the last Buff to have seven assists in a game, just over a decade ago.

Eve Hritzuk scored three separate times all in the fourth quarter after not finding the net the first three quarters of play. It's the sixth time this season she's had three or more goals in one game.

Nine CU players had at least one caused turnover in the contest, the most this season. Camryn Stoner, Molly Reed, and Shoup all had two caused turnovers which led the team.

As a team Colorado scored 20 goals and 12 assists, which is total of 32 points. That's the most points and assists scored by CU since they posted 35 (21 G, 14 A) against Oregon during the 2020 season.

"Every conference game is huge and we knew this was a really important one for us," Whidden said. "The standings are close and every game matters, especially as we get towards end of the season and start looking at the Pac-12 tournament. We have to put ourselves in the best position to be successful in turns of W/Ls and tie breakers."

UP NEXT
The Buffs will play once more at Kittredge Field this year on Sunday, at 12 p.m. MDT when they take on non-conference opponent Kent State.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/stats/2024/arizona-state/boxscore/16963

ASU game was interesting. refs had a rough day and really stopped the flow of the game with some questionable calls. I had a couple parents tell me they think the last two goals CU scored were FU goals as the team and coach were no happy with a game a couple years ago where ASU ran the score up on CU the only year ASU was good. CU was up by 6 with 2 minutes to go and instead of pulling it out and running clock they went fast break and put two in the net instead of putting the freshman in and pulling it out and running clock. The Kent game was not competitive. The Kent goalie was great in the first half or CU would have scored 20 goals in the first half. Not much talent on the Kent team. Would like to beat USC and finish 2nd in the conference

Media after yesterday's win:

Article -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/4/14/lacrosse-buffs-complete-weekend-sweep

"

Stokes Historic Performance Leads Buffs to Weekend Sweep​

By: Tanner Kay, Athletic Communication Associate

BOULDER —
A historic 11-point performance from senior midfielder Ashley Stokes Sunday afternoon led to a weekend sweep at home for the No. 20 Colorado Buffaloes, defeating Kent State 20-5.

The Buffs move to 10-4 (4-1, Pac-12) on the season while Kent State is now 5-10. After defeating Arizona State on Friday, Colorado completes the two-game sweep over the weekend. They have now won three consecutive games and end their last game at Kittredge Field in 2024 with a win.

"Overall, I felt like we could have executed better," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "I would have liked us to execute better throughout the 60 minutes, their goalie played really well. 21 saves. I think she deserves a bunch of credit to her. But in general for us, I think we got to finish a little bit better on the offensive end, and just have a little bit more of a killer instinct to put the game away."

Southern California native — Stokes — had yet another stellar game on Sunday, finishing with eleven points (7 G, 4 A), the most points scored in a single game by a CU player since Darby Kiernan had 12 in 2018 against Jacksonville. Stokes earned a new career-high of seven goals, the second time she has had six or more goals in a game in the last week. In her last three games, she has accumulated 26 points (13 G, 13 A).

As a team, the Buffaloes rounded off a total of 48 shots on the day, the second-most in school history, just one short of tying the record. It's back-to-back games with 20 goals for Colorado, a season-high. The Buffs also had 13 different players score, the most in a single game all season.

Colorado's 9-1 scoring run in the second half was the first time all year CU has held an opponent to one goal or less in one half of a game. The five goals allowed on the day are the fewest they've given up all season.

Camryn Stoner and Jaimey Hill both earned their first collegiate goals in Sunday's win. Stoner, a graduate defender, who rarely sees action on the offensive side of the ball netted her first ever score in the first quarter. Hill, a freshman, tallied her goal with 1:32 remaining in the game and was the final score for the Buffs.

With plenty going on the offensive side, the Colorado defenders also came to play. Jess Peluso recorded five caused turnovers, the second time she has had five or more in a game during the 2024 campaign. Her season total climbs to 34, tying a CU record for most caused turnovers in a single season. She ties Sarah Brown who also had 34 during the 2018 season.

Aidan Carr earned a career-high 15 draw controls last week against UC Davis, which was the third-most draw controls in a game by a Buff in school history. Carr went ahead and broke her own career-high again with 16 on Sunday against the Golden Flashes. She now has 66 draw controls on the season, the most ever by a Colorado freshman.

Sydney Zimmerman scored three goals, all in the second half, and it's the fifth time this season she's had two or more goals.

Madeline Pisani scored once on Sunday, and is still the only player on the team with at least one goal in every game thus far.

UP NEXT
The Buffs will be on the road for the final time in the regular season, next Sunday in Los Angeles, Calif. against USC. The game will be at 1:00 p.m. MDT.

"It's gonna be a battle going in there playing them on senior day, and so we'll know it'll be a challenge and we'll make sure we're prepared over the next week," Whidden stated on playing USC.
"

Box score -

Back