What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- #5 WOMEN'S BBall on the road to play SMU (Saturday, 11/18/23; 7:00 PM MT; ESPN+)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
#5 ranked Women's basketball (3-0), before a TOUGH 3 game in 3 day tourney in the U.S. Virgin Islands late next week, have a quick 1 game road trip to Dallas to face the SMU Mustangs (2-0; pending a game against Nicholls State tomorrow night) Saturday evening.

The game is scheduled to be shown on the ESPN+ platform, which requires a unique subscription to that service. (More information and a link to the stream are available near the bottom of this post.)

Note- Not that they necessarily mean much if anything, but in the last NET Rankngs I can find for last season (dated 4/2/23), the Buffs ended up at #20, while SMU was #85.

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more more info on SMU:

Roster
- https://smumustangs.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats (Last season) - https://smumustangs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats
Schedule (Last season) - https://smumustangs.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the ESPN+ platform. For anyone with a subscription to that ESPN service, the game will be available at https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/b3cf1c95-ee2e-435a-922f-0b41fc6c32c6.

Live audio - In addition to (if like in past seasons) being available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network, looks like a free audio stream will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2847&type=Live .

Live stats - https://smumustangs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Game notes: (Note- Left empty for any game(s) that don't have any as I type this.) -

Buff's Media Day Guide with current roster info, individual and team records, etc.) - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/10/27/Media_Day_Guide.pdf

Last edited:
As I've also just posted in the latest MBB game thread, wanted to note it looks like, through Thursday (assuming the below doesn't mean they're doing DIFFERENT ticket deals through Thursday?), CU has a ticket offer where you can get tickets for any or all of the 3 remaining women's basketball home non-conference games in 2023 for $5 (+$1.50 fee) each. (It also works for the 5 remaining 2023 men's basketball home non-conference games (for $15 + $2.50 fee each), and the 2 remaining home volleyball matches (which are $5 +$1.50 fee each).)

In the past they have sold tickets for just the conference games. I don't know if that option is available this year.

Congrats to Ms. Sherrod. Hope she stays on the list all the way to be the final 1 at the end of the season!

Edit:
Cubuffs Release - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/14...ed-to-wooden-preseason-top-50-watch-list.aspx

"
Women's Basketball November 14, 2023 Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

Sherrod Named to Wooden Preseason Top 50 Watch List​

One of 11 players from the Pac-12

LOS ANGELES – Colorado point guard Jaylyn Sherrod added to her preseason accolades, landing on the e John R. Wooden Award® presented by Principal® Preseason Top 50 Watch List as announced on ESPN's SportsCenter and ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Chosen by a preseason poll of national college basketball experts, the list is comprised of 50 student-athletes who are the early front-runners for the most prestigious honors in college basketball, the Wooden Award All American Team™ and Most Outstanding Player Award.

The players on the list are considered strong candidates for the 2024 John R. Wooden Award Women's Player of the Year presented by Principal. Players not chosen to the preseason list are still eligible for the Wooden Award™ midseason list, late season list, and the National Ballot. The National Ballot consists of 15 top players who have proven to their universities that they meet or exceed the qualifications of the Wooden Award. Nearly 1,000 voters will rank in order 10 of those 15 players when voting opens prior to the NCAA Tournament and will allow voters to take into consideration performance during early round games. The Wooden Award All American Team™ will be announced the week of the "Elite Eight" round of the NCAA Tournament. The winner of the 2024 John R. Wooden Award will be presented in Los Angeles in April.

Sherrod, also a preseason Lieberman Award Watch List nominee, Preseason Naismith Player of the Year candidate and a Preseason All-Pac selection, helped lead the then No. 20 Buffaloes over then No. 1 LSU to open the season in Las Vegas. She scored 19 points and handed out six assists in CU's 92-78 upset of the defending national champions.

She is averaging 13.7 points and 7.7 assists through three games this season. Sherrod has had five or more assists in all three games, including nine in the Buffs' win over Oklahoma State. She is four assists shy of 500 which would make her just the fourth Buff to have over 1,000 career points and 500 career assists.

The list represents eight conferences: the Pac-12 leads all conferences with 11 selections, followed by the ACC with 10 selections, the Big Ten and SEC with nine each, the Big 12 with six, the Big East with three and the Ivy League and MAC with one selection apiece.
"

Full Wooden Award release - https://www.woodenaward.com/john_r_...s_2023_24_women_s_preseason_top_50_watch_list

Last edited:
I saw a comment earlier when someone asked about Shelomi where the response was that she's injured.

In the latest Well Off Media video, she's talking to her dad and has a big old splint on her right thumb.

Bollywood Scoop GIF by SAATH MN

Speaking of injuries - for got to mention this earlier - for the Okie State the following four were not dressed to play:

• Kennedy Sanders (the highest rated of the true freshmen)
• Lele Tanuvasa
• Shelomi Sanders
• Ruthie Loomis-Goltl

The Buffs seeming to be able to do anything they want on offense, with LOTS of great passing for layups, but similar to the OSU game, SMU's shooting (5-10 from 3) is keeping it close.

Buffs do score the last 7 and lead 44-36 at the half.

Buffs with solid play throughout, and get the win over the very pesky Mustangs 84-69.

Scary last minute as Sherrod was lying on the floor for over a minute after running into one of their bigs who was setting a screen. She had to be helped off the court by 2 people looking very groggy. Hope she's OK.

(Hope and trust we don't see these ref's again - seemed to call a lot of "in the neighborhood" fouls, and compounded that with some of the latest whistles I can remember.)

Last edited:
Hopefully she can recover before the Thursday game. That's a tough 3 games against P5 opponents that we can not miss her.

They are a really strong team and every opponent will be bringing their best.
Go Buffs - Final Four

TV people said that JR sometimes refers to Sherrod as her "daughter" on the court, since Sherrod is in her 5th year playing for JR and the Buffs. What a bond they must have. Very cool.

I noticed that in 2018 - 19, Mathilde Diop from Dakar, Senegal was on the team.

Looks like everyone except Quay struggled with 3 point shooting in this game. Team only shot about 25% from beyond the arc, but Quay was 4-7.

Nothing at all wrong with a workmanlike win over a quality opponent on a day you're not shooting well and they're hot. Didn't have it to go on big enough runs & SMU hit too many 3s to put them away early, but winning each quarter adds up to what looks like a blowout in the box score. To have a great season, you need some games like this.

JR's teams have never been good at guarding the 3. This game showed that one player usually can't beat you. I love the balanced scoring and we are better from the free throw line.

Vonesh is so much better than she was last night. Hopefully she can stay healthy and keep doing what she is doing.

Can't wait for Frida so get in her grove, but she is money from the free throw line.

They are leaving tomorrow for the Virgin Islands according to the radio show. Quay said she had one more paper to turn in and she is done for this semester so she cna enjoy the islands during her free time. She was going to do the paper when she got back to the hotel.

We need Sherrod to be able to play and be her usual fast guard. Hope she is okay.

Media after last night's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/11/18/womens-basketball-no-5-colorado-tames-mustangs.aspx

"
DALLAS – The stars shined bright for No. 5 Colorado in its first road win of the season at Moody Coliseum. Three Buffaloes totaled double figures in Saturday night's 84-69 win over SMU.

Colorado improved to 4-0 on the season. All four wins have been by double-digit margins.

Junior center Aaronette Vonleh led Colorado with 23 points, hitting 10-for-15 from the field. Graduate Quay Miller recorded her second-consecutive double-double finishing with 18 points and 10 rebounds. Graduate Jaylyn Sherrod ended her night with 18 points and four assists, becoming just the fourth player in CU history to have over 1,000 career points and 500 career assists.

Colorado trailed for just 30 seconds on the night but the game was never in hand until the Buffs opened up an 11-point lead midway through the fourth quarter.

"I just retweeted something and it said 'we battled tonight,' and it truly was a battle," head coach JR Payne noted. "I can't think of any other word. It was a really physical, really tough game. This was a tough one to come into SMU and get the win. I'm really proud of how we competed tonight."

The Buffs never trailed in the second half and limited SMU to just eight field goals in the final 20 minutes. CU struggled from 3-point distance, closing the night 5-for-23 from deep, but made up for it with 46 points in the paint.

CU kept its streak of 20 or more assists alive on Saturday, handing out 21 on 31 field goals. Junior Kindyll Wetta had a game-high five helpers.

"I think part of [our success] is just great connectivity with our team," Payne added. "We really trust each other and that's really important when you're in tough games on the road. When we trust that someone is going to deliver the pass on time and on target. We trust someone's going to have the right screening angel or box out on a free-throw line or execute defensively. All those things come down to being ultimately very connected which is why I think we play good basketball together."

SMU (3-1) was led by Tiara Young and her 30 points.

Key moment
The Mustangs got within eight points, 48-40, with 7:15 to play in the third quarter. Miller drilled the first of her 3-pointers in the quarter and Sherrod followed with a hard drive to the basket, getting the and-1 call to push the Buffs' lead back to 13 in a total of 53 seconds.

"I thought it was huge," Payne recalled. "Not just for the points, but for the momentum that kind of swung in our favor. It was a big shot for Quay and then the steal the and-1 – we're always energetic on a play that that. It was great to see."

Up Next
Colorado will make a quick return to Boulder before jetting off to the Paradise Jam Classic on Monday. CU will play Cincinnati, Kentucky and No. 14 NC State in back-to-back-to-back contests, starting with the Bearcats on Thursday.

Notes
The Buffs are off to a 4-0 start for the fifth time under Coach Payne…CU has now scored 80+ points in all four games…The last time CU had four consecutive games with 20+ assists was Feb. 10-19, 1995 (25, 27, 25, 30)…Tameiya Sadler closed with six points to give her 505 in her career…Colorado had a season-high five blocks…Formann had a career-high three blocks.

Quotes
Head coach JR Payne
On unselfish play –
"Quay is a great player. The great thing about being a great player on a really good team is that there are lots of great players. The Best thing is that it's a lot of great players who are very unselfish. Tonight was not Frida's night. She was 1-for-7 but that one was a big one. But it's the next player up. Next woman up as far as doing their job and being able to knock down big shots and find ways to contribute. Frida wasn't hitting shots, but she was a phenomenal screener and got Netty [Vonleh] looks at the basket. It was just a good, total team effort tonight."

On Miller's rebounding – "It's the one thing that has really sparked her. On offense, there are always ways to contribute and if your shots aren't falling, find a way to get a rebound and get to the free-throw line. But Quay is great. I think she's one of the best forwards around. She's going to be able to score. She's going to be able to rebound. I thought she did a great job defensively tonight on some versatile perimeter players and things like that."

Graduate Quay Miller
On answering SMU runs –
"We knew that it was going to be a game of runs and we needed to be able to answer when they had an answer. We had to be better in everything that we did. That was really our game plan, to be excellent.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/smu/boxscore/16573

Back