What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- #8 WOMEN'S BBall begins Pac 12 play hosting #12/10 Utah (Saturday, 12/30/23; 1:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Net.)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
#8 ranked women's basketball (10-1) begins Pac 12 play with a BIG matinee game this Saturday at the Events Center as they face off against the #12 (AP/ media poll) / #10 (Coaches') ranked Utah Utes (10-2).

It should be a great game for those who love offense and challenges for the defense, as the Utes are #3 in scoring in the NCAA with a 93.3 points per game, while CU is #15 at 84.0. (Assume a LOT of Buff defensive practice this week will be on guarding the 3 line, as the Utes average 2.5 more made 3 pointers per game than any one else in the NCAA at 13.3, while also having the highest 3 point shooting % in the country at 42.55%.)

This game will be a BIG indicator of the team's readiness for this TOUGH conference , and could be an important statement game, as they start Pac play with 5 out of 7 at home, with 4 of those being against the conference's other ranked teams (Utah, then after an Arizona road trip, facing off against #9 Stanford in week 3 and, in week 4, #2 UCLA and #6 USC.)

Saturday's game is scheduled to be shown on one or more Pac 12 Network channels. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Note- Iin the last NET Rankngs (dated 12/25/23), the Buffs are at #24, while the Utes are #4.

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more more info on the Utes:

Roster
- https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats
Schedule - https://utahutes.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National and Mountain channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/12/30/utah-colorado.

Live audio - The games will be available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network. In addition, a free audio stream for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2872&type=Live .

Link to link to live stats (All games) - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=colo
For this game (If blank, not available as I type this.) -
Game notes: (Note- Left empty for games that don't have any available as I type this.) -

Last edited:
Absolutely correct on being a BIG indicator of our future in the Pac this season. We are not getting the respect I think we are due in the rankings as they have LSU ahead of us and we soundly beat them on a neutral court.

I keep seeing a Utah player as the freshman of the week and I believe another player has won Pac 12 Player of the Week more than once.

I do hope this team is figuring out how to guard the 3 point shot. The only criticism I have of JR is her teams have never been good at guarding the 3. It's going to cost us in the Pac if they don't figure it out.

Agree that the Buffs' three point defending has to improve in conference play. In addition, they need someone other than Formann to consistently take and make treys. At this point no one else is consistent from long range.

If CU is going to finish in the top 4 or 5 this season this game is a must win.

Looking at the statistics from this season for treys:
• Formann 27-77 .481
• Nolan 17-47 .362
• Miller 15-45 .333
• Wetta 5-16 .313
• Smith 4-12 .333
• Sherrod 3-24 .125

Another key for the Buffs will be Quay Miller's consistency shooting the ball. For whatever reason at the end of last season including the NCAA tourney she struggled with her shooting. To some extent she's been a tad better this season, but not where she was at this time last season.

Absolutely correct on being a BIG indicator of our future in the Pac this season. We are not getting the respect I think we are due in the rankings as they have LSU ahead of us and we soundly beat them on a neutral court.

I keep seeing a Utah player as the freshman of the week and I believe another player has won Pac 12 Player of the Week more than once.

I do hope this team is figuring out how to guard the 3 point shot. The only criticism I have of JR is her teams have never been good at guarding the 3. It's going to cost us in the Pac if they don't figure it out.
Brink from Stanford won player of the week twice and Watkins from USC won freshman every week except one

Wrong school on the freshman. Sorry.

We have more balanced scoring than in the past but we definitely need consistency and to know our bigs can score and rebound when needed.

Nettie is such a great player. This season the Pac coaches know her all too well.

Jay had not made a 3 until the last game. Hopefully that set her off. She is doing a fantastic job at what she does best: distributing the ball and seeing the plays ahead to get the ball to the right player. She's worked on her free throws. She wants to go out with a bang.

Carol Callan was saying that on paper, Stanford has the easiest road to the championship as they play more of the top teams only once this season as opposed to twice. That can definitely make a difference.

Keep the Buffs healthy and bring it on.

Previews for tomorrow's game -

cubuffs.com - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/29...-buffs-kickoff-pac-12-play-against-no-12-utes

"

No. 8 Buffs Kickoff Pac-12 Play against No. 12 Utes​

CU hosts Utah in first ranked meeting between the two schools

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER – Colorado and Utah will hit the court for the 43rd time in series history when the two teams open up Pac-12 at the CU Events Center. Saturday's showdown between the conference's mountain squads will have a new twist, though, as it will be the first time both teams have been ranked.

No. 8 Colorado (10-1) and No. 12 Utah (10-2) have an even 21-21 split in the series and a 5-5 record in the last 10 meetings. The Buffs hold a slight edge in head-to-head play in the Pac-12, owning a 14-11 record over the Utes.

"We know that it's a battle every time we've played them [Utah]," head coach JR Payne expressed. "I don't think either team has swept each other so it's always competitive. Both teams are very well coached on both sides of the floor and it's just good competitive teams. Both teams are full of really good kids who just play hard and want to compete. I appreciate that in both programs."

The matchup also marks the first top 15 showdown at the CU Events Center since the No. 12 Buffs hosted No. 1 Texas on Feb. 14, 2004.

The Buffs come into the game ranked ahead of Utah, who was selected Preseason No. 1 in the Pac-12. The Utes are ahead of Colorado in the latest NET rankings, entering the game fourth overall to CU's 24th.

Saturday will be one of the toughest tests to date for the Buffs. CU is 1-1 in ranked games this season, handing then No. 1 LSU a 92-78 loss to open the season but falling to then No. 10 NC State, 78-60, at the Paradise Jam Classic.

The Buffs have averaged 84.0 points per game this season and have had every game decided by 10 or more points. CU's defense will need to be true to form on Saturday as the Utes rank third in the nation with 93.3 points per game behind Alissa Pili's 23.8 scoring average (4th NCAA).

"We've been really focused on what are we doing well and what do we need to improve," Payne continued. "It just feels like there's a lot of areas still to improve – focusing on the basics, learning the scout. Utah's personnel is really important because they have a lot of good players that do a lot of different things. We've been prioritizing our effort, communication, tenacity, just basic things that no matter who you're playing, because every single team we play from here on out is so good. Those things will work against anyone we play."

"It's great [to see both teams have success]," Payne added. "I'm a huge fan of Lynne's [Roberts]. She's a really good friend. I know how hard it is to build a program, especially in this conference. It's awesome to see what they've been able to do and the success that they're having. I'm cheering for her every night except for when we play."

Jenny Cavnar and Elise Woodward will call the game for the Pac-12 Network. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will have pregame coverage on the Colorado Radio Network starting at 12:30 p.m.

Fans in attendance will receive a free CU cookie cutter while supplies last.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

Buffzone / Brian Howell's:

Game Preview - (includes majors stats for the Buffs and Utes, some fun notes on team records against each other, etc.) -

Feature on Kindyll Wetta -

Aaronette Vonleh feature -

Last edited:
Utah's Pili is shooting over 56% from behind the arc. If we can't hold her and play good defense, CU will not win this game. I'm glad the Pac 12 opener is being played in Boulder.

Get out there and cheer for this team.

Jaylyn Sherrod is approaching legendary status as a CU athlete, if she is not already there. One of the biggest winners in CU sports history - she is the primary driver in elevating the women‘s basketball program to elite status.

Also, JR Payne has done a sensational job in the most difficult conference in the country for women’s basketball.

Jaylyn Sherrod is approaching legendary status as a CU athlete, if she is not already there. One of the biggest winners in CU sports history - she is the primary driver in elevating the women‘s basketball program to elite status.

Also, JR Payne has done a sensational job in the most difficult conference in the country for women’s basketball.
Sherrod is different from any player she plays, on any court. She moves at a different speed. I'd love for someone to find a player in the country that has even close to her athleticism.

Sherrod is different from any player she plays, on any court. She moves at a different speed. I'd love for someone to find a player in the country that has even close to her athleticism.
Maybe Clark, but other than that I don't think any other point guard in the country is better than Clark and Sherrod. Jaylyn Sherrod is the BEST point guard CU has ever had and we have had some great ones.

I saw the CU Alumni person tweet at the CU Police to direct traffic for the over 7,000 fans that were at the game.

Numbers like that have not been seen since the Ceal Barry era and with good reason.

I love JR and her staff. They contained Pili. She is too good to be stopped, but she can be contained.

The officials didn't allow CU to have their usual inside game and Frida was also hampered with fouls. But Jaylyn came through!

Love this team.

Back