What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- #8 WOMEN'S BBall begins Pac 12 play hosting #12/10 Utah (Saturday, 12/30/23; 1:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Net.)

Just got back from the game. Reminded me of last night's (men's) game - down toward the end of the game, losing momentum and then The Buffs just gutted it out and took over.

That last eight minutes were so much fun and the crowd was finally in it for the final four minutes.

WOW what a win! Wish I could have been in Boulder, but it was cool to see the Events Center with so many fans supporting the women's club. Jaylyn Sherrod has to be on the Mount Rushmore of CU Buffs Athletics...she took over and controlled this game (like most that she plays in lol). I'm considering writing-in Sherrod for President on my ballot next November; she really knows how to get **** DONE! JR and company have built something special and beautiful in Boulder, and it's so awesome to see the years of hard work finally pay off with the big wins. Lots of players contributing key plays and points this afternoon.

Way to go BUFFS! Keep the momentum going!

Just got back from the game. Reminded me of last night's (men's) game - down toward the end of the game, losing momentum and then The Buffs just gutted it out and took over.

That last eight minutes were so much fun and the crowd was finally in it for the final four minutes.
I'm guessing the crowd at today's game was more family, more children, less experienced fans, than at the men's games

I don't think they realized how a crowd can really impact a BB game - hopefully they've learned how important they are.

Great weekend for CU basketball.

I know the AD had a sale on tickets around Thanksgiving so I bought two to the Stanford game to take my daughter to. I was shocked at how few options there actually were. Hopefully these women will get the support they deserve.

We've talked about this, but your ability to walk to CU sports events makes your house invaluable.

I know the AD had a sale on tickets around Thanksgiving so I bought two to the Stanford game to take my daughter to. I was shocked at how few options there actually were. Hopefully these women will get the support they deserve.
I think with the type of young women she has recruited and the quality of coach that JR Payne is proving herself to be I don't see this team having many bad nights, fans are going to get their money's worth.

Went to the game and it was a fantastic environment, a back and forth game, and 2-3 future WNBA players battling it out.

Sherrod is special and unique and the quickest womens BB player I have ever seen.

Alissa Pili is a monster and a smooth player, so darn good.

Vonleh and Frida Formann gonna get some looks in the league, unless Frida just goes and plays in Europe to be closer to home.

Smith was our difference maker and Quay had a bad day.

Awesome date with my wife, Sko Buffs

Media after today's victory:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/30...ailbiter-over-utah-to-open-up-conference-play

"

Buffs Win Nail-Biter Over Utah to Open Conference Play​

Sherrod scores career-high 34 points

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

BOULDER – The eighth-ranked Colorado women's basketball took down No. 12 Utah 76-65 in a highly anticipated Pac-12 matchup to start Pac-12 play at the CU Events Center on Saturday.

A crowd of 7,383 fans witnessed the victory to set the highest regular-season attendance for a Colorado women's basketball game since 2002.

"Special shout-out to Buff Nation for coming out like they did," head coach JR Payne commented after the win. "That means everything because most of us have been here a long time and worked really hard to build a program that everyone can be really proud of, on and off the court. To have that many people here supporting us is awesome."

The Buffaloes (11-1, 1-0 Pac-12) were faced with an eight-point deficit in the fourth quarter but managed to outscore the Utes (10-3, 0-1 Pac-12) 23-4 in the final 8:18 of the game to pick up the win.

Jaylyn Sherrod played a key role throughout the game, scoring a career-high 34 points, 13 of which came in the fourth quarter. She added four rebounds and four assists while racking up six steals on the defensive end.

"I can't speak for everybody but I just went in with the same mentality that I had the whole game which was to be aggressive," Sherrod said. "Nothing really changed. Basketball is a game of runs and Utah is a great team. We talked about it all week, like they're going to go on the run. They're just built like that offensively, but it's about how you withstand it and how you come back from it."

Sara-Rose Smith had her best game as a Buff, recording her first career double-double with 11 points and 12 boards. Her 12 rebounds were a CU-high while she also tied season-highs in points and steals.

From start to finish, Aaronette Vonleh battled it out with Utah's Alissa Pili in the paint. Although Pili totaled 27 points, Vonleh and the Colorado defense held her to 10 points in the second half. On the offensive end, Vonleh put up 18 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field.

In the third quarter, the Colorado defense gave up 21 points, but in the fourth, the Buffs bounced back outscoring the Utes 25-11, which translated into Colorado's highest-scoring quarter of the game.

Colorado's switch to a full-court press proved to be a difference-maker in the final quarter.

"Coach T [Toriano Towns] runs our defense," stated Payne. "Kindyll and Jaylyn were together and then Sarah-Rose was playing that safety over the top. We have a little bit more depth right now. So being able to utilize that and force them to have to speed up a little bit and make them work even to catch the ball when you have to do that for a long time it's really tiring. And I thought our team did a really good job of that."

KEY MOMENT

Pili was forced to leave the game at the 7:41 mark of the fourth quarter with Utah leading 61-57. The Buff took advantage and went on a quick 4-0 run over the next 1:40 capped off by a mid-air adjustment by Sherrod on an AND-1 layup to tie the game at 61-61 as the momentum shifted to Colorado.

NEXT

The Buffs will play their first conference road game at Arizona on Friday, January 5 at 6 p.m. MT.

NOTES

Largest regular season home attendance since 8,282 (Feb. 23, 2002) vs Kanas State ... Colorado is now 22-21 all-time vs Utah … Colorado is 12-8 against Utah at home … the Buffs have won four of their last six matchups with Utah … Sherrod jumped up to 23rd all-time in scoring with 1,224 career points ... She is now 10th all-time in steals (239) Kindyll Wetta had four steals on the day, moving her into 19th (148) ... Sherrod set career-highs in points (34), FGM (13), FGA (23) … Sherrod set a season-high in steals (6) … Smith recorded her first career double-double … Brianna McLeod recorded her 100th career point (101) ... Colorado has now hit a 3FG in 100 consecutive games ... Utah had season lows in assists (10) and 3FGM (5) ... There were 11 total lead changes throughout the game … largest win over Utah since 2020-21 when the Buffs won by 30 at home … Sherrod also led the team in points in that game as a freshman with 24 points.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/utah/boxscore/16630

Quotes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/12/30/12-30_Utah_Quotes.pdf

I thought the announcer said Pili was from Portugal, which I thought was odd, so I looked. She's from Alaska. Found this:

"Her older brother, Brandon, played football for USC as a defensive lineman.[2] She played football as a lineman from third to eighth grade as the only girl in her league and started playing organized basketball at age eight."

I hope the AD knows he is going to have to pay JR Payne what she is worth as a head coach after this season. She has always had a low ball salary and even with her new contract after last season, she is severely underpaid for what she is doing. She has mostly been able to keep her staff very stable, which is a great thing.

The players that are contributed the most at present to this team have, with the exception of Smith, been here for a while. Sherrod is so loyal to CU and JR because no other DI school thought she was good enough to play DI ball. JR .and staff have developed Sherrod over the years and I love the chip on her shoulder. Also love her confidence and leadership. She used to be quiet on the court, but no more.

Quay was hampered by the early fouls/ Nettie has also developed her game under JR and staff. She barely played at Arizona. JR saw something they didn't see.

With so many players using up their eligibility this season,, it will be fun to see how JR rebuilds, using the portal. She has something to offer to very talented players in the portal now.

Unless you are a very special player, you probably are not seeing a lot of playing time at Colorado as a freshman. This year's class is not going to play unless it's a blowout and I don't think there will be a lot of those in the Pac 12.

On the crowd issue, I do think the women draw a different crowd than the men. If CU would go back to the Chauncey's Kids model or something similar, put the kids together and they can make a lot of noise.

It was exciting to see that many people in Coors for a women's basketball game. I'm hoping to see a sellout by season's end. Perhaps the Stanford game?

Maybe it’s just where I sit (slightly different areas behind the CU bench for both men and women) but I don’t understand the crowd complaints.

I went to all 3 CU basketball games this past weekend and I thought the women’s game had the best crowd. The women’s crowd is the most consistent. The men’s crowd tends to get louder during big moments, but is also completely dead at times.

I have friends that have season tickets in the center section on the CU bench side that have had season tickets since they first had season tickets for the women's team. That was the 2nd or 3rd year of the Shelley Sheetz era. I can assure you those people are not quiet.

Going back to the game, I thought the difference was CU's ability to create turnovers in the last three minutes when they absolutely dominated. The Buffs forced turnover after turnover and took advantage.

Points off TOs: CU, 23 - UU, 12 and that 11 point difference was the margin of victory.

Aaronette Vonleh did her job down low in the fourth quarter which was a big factor as was Sara-Rose Smith on both ends of the court with a double-double off the bench. Smith's scoring and rebounding helped make up for the lack of production from Miller and Formann who combined for three points.

Boy is Allisa Pili a great player. She is exceptional at using her body to get to her spot down low off the dribble and she can't bee stopped one v one.

Back