What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - #8 WOMEN'S BBall ends non-conf. hosting N. Colo. (Thursday, 12/21/23; Noon MT; Pac 12 Net.)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
#8 ranked women's basketball (9-1), after a 16 day (assume for finals?) break, ends its non-conference slate with a 2nd straight weekday matinee at the Events Center, this time with a Thursday noon start, against the Northern Colorado (UNC) Bears (4-4).

The game is scheduled to be shown on one or more Pac 12 Network channels. (Further info and links for media options available near the bottom of this thread.)

Note- Not that they necessarily mean much if anything relatively early in the season, but in the last NET Rankngs (dated 12/17/23), the Buffs are at #22, while the Bears are #229.

Go Buffs!!!

(Preview not available as I type this.)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Links with more more info on the Bears:

Roster
- https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
Stats - https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats
Schedule - https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule
Their preview article - Not available as I type this.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Live video
- Game is scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 National and Mountain channels. For anyone with a subscription to any Pac 12 Network channel, I'm guessing the game will also be viewable on the Pac 12 App, or through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2023/12/21/northern-colorado-colorado.

Live audio - The games will be available on 630 AM in the Denver/ Boulder area and maybe other stations in the Buff radio network. In addition, a free audio stream for the game will be available at https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2868&type=Live .

Link to link to live stats (All games) - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=colo
For this game (If blank, not available as I type this.) -

Game notes
: (Note- Left empty for games that don't have any available as I type this.) -

Last edited:
Preview in front of tomorrow's noon game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/20/womens-basketball-no-8-buffs-return-to-action

"

No. 8 Buffs Return to Action​

December 20, 2023 | Women's Basketball

CU hosts Northern Colorado on Thursday

By: Seth Pringle, Athletic Communications

BOULDER – The eighth-ranked Colorado women's basketball team returns from its unique in-season break when it closes out the non-conference season against Northern Colorado at the CU Events Center on Thursday.

The matchup against the Bears will be CU's first game since their 95-74 win over UT Arlington on Dec. 5.

Colorado took some time off after the win over the Mavericks but still kept basketball at the forefront. CU used the practice time to reset and focus on the team instead of using the time to insert a game plan and scout the opposition.

"I think the most important thing for us was to be able to rest, recover and sort of hit the reset button and feel refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the season," head coach JR Payne expressed. "I think that's an area that we've obviously really worked on while maintaining our conditioning levels and things like that. We also reprioritized the basics. Everything we've done the last couple of weeks has been sort of foundational basic things. Nothing new or fancy or special we're just trying to be better at doing our jobs."

The Buffs had been going at a rapid rate to start the season, starting with No. 1 LSU in Las Vegas. CU crammed its first 10 games into 30 days, including playing three Power 5 opponents in three consecutive days at the Paradise Jam Classic. The team has been on the road for the majority of the season, having only played four games in Boulder.

"It's been really important for us to take our eyes off scouting opponents and put them more on ourselves the past 10 days or so," Payne added. "You just don't get that opportunity very often, especially in the middle of the season. I think that we're better because of it. We're certainly excited to play again and get back to a more normal schedule, but that's been good for us."

Tip off is set for noon MT. Jenny Cavnar and former Buff Ariana (Freeman) Prather will have the call on the Pac-12 Network. Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will have pregame coverage on the Colorado Radio Network starting at 11:30.

Thursday is the team's Holiday Game. Santa Chip will be in the arena and fans will receive CU cookie cutters while supplies last.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

60-43 Buff lead now heading into the 4th.

(I think at one point in the 2nd quarter I looked and it was 6-6 in the turnover stat. It's now a 22-9 advantage for the Buffs.)

Media after today's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/12/21/womens-basketball-no-8-colorado-returns-with-win-over-bears

"

No. 8 Colorado Completes Comeback Over Bears​

By: Colin Wagner, CU Athletic Communications Associate

BOULDER – No. 8 Colorado, playing its first game in over two weeks, showed resiliency in a 78-56 win over Northern Colorado after coming out of the gates slowly at the CU Events Center on Thursday.

The Buffaloes (10-1) found themselves in a deep hole early in the opening quarter after the Bears (4-5) came out hot and scored the first 14 points. CU used a 13-0 run late in the second quarter and went into halftime with the lead. Colorado held UNC to just 21 points in the second half, completing its biggest come-from-behind win since a 17-point comeback against Samford in 2017.

"A two-week break, as wonderful as it was, is a really difficult thing to navigate for a team," head coach JR Payne said after the game. "In 23 years of coaching, I've never had to navigate that before so I think we saw that in the first few minutes of the game. It was a little rusty, but I'm definitely proud of how we got rid of that the rust and played really well for the most part."

After Colorado had been trailing for some time, Quay Miller brought the energy back for the Buffs. She finished with eight points, six rebounds and two assists. Jaylyn Sherrod also had an impressive performance as she showed up when the Buffs needed her most, scoring 16 points, all of which came in the first half. Aaronette Vonleh was Colorado's second-leading scorer with 14 points, but she was a force on the defensive end as well, recording a career-high five blocks. Vonleh's five swats marked the most in a game by a Buff since 2017.

Tameiya Sadler and Kindyll Wetta each finished in double-figures with 10 and 11 points, respectively. Sadler led the team with five steals and Wetta led the team with six assists.

The Buffs will enjoy the holidays before taking on No. 11 Utah on December 30 in their first conference matchup of the season.

"The great thing about a veteran team is that everybody in the locker room almost knows what to expect when they come back," stated Payne. "So I know that they'll rest and they should rest and really enjoy their time with family and all of that is great, but they also are smart enough to do something over the break.

"Every team in our league is so good and we're starting with maybe the best. I don't know, everybody's good. So we will be super dialed in from the jump. We won't practice till the 26th and it'll be a very focused and dialed-in practice. I can guarantee it."

KEY MOMENT
Sherrod converted an AND-1 layup to give the Buffs their first lead of the game late in the second quarter. The bucket was part of a 13-0 Colorado scoring run and helped the Buffs regain control of the game.

NOTES
Colorado is now 14-6 all-time vs Northern Colorado … the Buffs have now won 11 straight against the Bears … CU has double-digit wins in non-conference play for five consecutive non-COVID seasons (went 2-1 in 2020-21) ... CU has now had 20+ assists in nine games this season … Colorado shot 51.6%, recording its fifth game of the season over 50% ... Colorado finished with a season-low 28 rebounds … CU's 14-point first-quarter deficit was its largest comeback win trailing by 17 at halftime against Samford (Nov. 10, 2017) ... Wetta's six assists marked a new season-high ... the last time Northern Colorado won against the Buffs was on January 27, 1998 … Vonleh's five blocks are the most in a game by a Buff since Janea Bunn's five vs Mississippi Valley State on November 24, 2017

UP NEXT
The Buffs will open up conference play at home against Utah on Saturday, December 30 at 1 p.m. MT.
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/northern-colorado/boxscore/16579

The slow starts have to stop or Utah will run them out of the building as will a lot of other Pac-12 teams.

Frida had 2 fouls in the 1st quarter, so that definitely slowed her down.

Jaylyn decided to take over in the 2nd quarter and then didn't score in the 2nd half.

Wetta was great and she gets as much joy with an assist as with a basket.

For me the star of the game was Netty. She quietly had 14 points and 5 blocks. I watched the game and didn't realize she had 5 blocks until the press conference.

I hope JR and staff come up with an answer besides we always know we can notch it up for the slow starts.

CU flipped the UNC game in the last 3+ minutes of the first half when they forced turnover after turnover which fueled a run that the Bears could not overcome. The Buffs scored 32 points in the game off of UNC turnovers.

Agree with others that the Buffs need to figure out how to get off to quicker starts and also need to get a bit tougher on defense.

Forgot to mention that UNC's 2-3 zone was worked to keep the ball away from Vonleh down low while assigning a player to shadow Formann on the perimeter. This worked early in the game and it was only when the Buffs were forcing a lot of turnovers.

It will be interesting to see how conference foes defend the Buffs this season.

Back