What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GAME THREAD: Cougs @ Buffs

Scotch

Club Member
Junta Member
Washington St. @ CU

Tip: 6pm MST

TV
: Pac-12 Net

Radio:
850 KOA

Line: CU -7
O/U: 146

Click HERE for Preview

Where the hell did the past 2 weeks come from???????????

To go 3-1 against the Arizona and SoCal schools, especially with 2 of those games on the road, almost seems miraculous. But there were no miracles here. It was just good ole fashioned Tad Ball! Well, plus they shot the 3-ball well and made free throws at a good clip. Props to Boyle and Crew for pulling it off!

Wazzou comes to town tonight in what should be a win for the Buffs. We all should remember the double OT game against the Cougs a couple years ago when GMFK hit a buzzer beating 3-ball at the end of OT to send the game to double OT. It was a hell of a shot that likely saved the Buffs Dance hopes. Let's hope it doesn't come down to that again tonight.

Speaking of GMFK, he's been playing well lately. His performance at UCLA(26 points 10 rebounds on only 3 turnovers) was likely his best as a Buff and it couldn't have come at a better time. If the Buffs have a legit chance at a Dance bid in 6 weeks it will be because King led the way.

GO BUFFS!!!!!!

I thought our defense against ucla was as good as any since Tad has been there. the zone was so smooth and effective

Agreed. I'm glad Boyle has softened his stance on zone D. Having the flexibility to switch between zone and man D can be crucial. They've also been mixing in the half and 3 quarter court press well.

Not only is it nice to see them employ some zone D, it's great that they have done some switching in game, so as to throw off the opponent's offense and limit their ability to get in groove and make sustained runs.
CU historically is prone to having lapses on offense all while the other team is scoring buckets, and we either lose a lead or the point deficit grows too much.
Many times in the past when other teams have thrown a zone D at CU, and the CU offense struggled mightily, I wondered "gee, why don't we do that to them."

I'm looking for no let down after the last 4 games. We should get control of this game by the end of the first half and never let them back in.

I'm looking for no let down after the last 4 games. We should get control of this game by the end of the first half and never let them back in.

That needs to be the theme this week. They've put themselves in a position RPI wise that homes games like these are must wins.

Beating Wazzu is all about energy. Can't let them take uncontested 3s. If the perimeter defense is there tonight and they do what's become their normal good job on the defensive glass, this will be a win.

Wazzu can shoot. That's about it. But, that's all it takes sometimes. Stop Flynn & Franks.

Unrelated note - Drick Bernstein is at Wazzu? Holy hell, how many schools has he been at?

Just a question because I haven't watched us enough to know. They plan on running alot of zone every game or is it matchup specific or what?

Just a question because I haven't watched us enough to know. They plan on running alot of zone every game or is it matchup specific or what?
I don't think we know for sure yet. Signs point to it, though.

Tad will almost always pick up in man defense off an offensive miss. Could go either way off an offensive make.

Seems like they'll do it until it doesn't work. Tad switches it up, zone after makes, man after misses or the reverse. For some reasons, the Pac 12 announcers haven't figured that one out yet.

I would hope so if it's working. Hell, even Duke runs some zone now, never thought i'd see that. Their defense is crap though.

Wazzu can shoot. That's about it. But, that's all it takes sometimes. Stop Flynn & Franks.

Unrelated note - Drick Bernstein is at Wazzu? Holy hell, how many schools has he been at?
3 at least. Pathetic. Don't get me started.

Hope the students show up now that they are back. When they are there in force it completely changes the atmosphere. Hopefully they are offering food as an incentive.

That needs to be the theme this week. They've put themselves in a position RPI wise that homes games like these are must wins.

In particular tonight. I think the perception of UW is that they are an NCAA tournament team, and its also a pivotal game for the conference standings as well-avoiding having to play on Wednesday in Vegas would be huge (one less shot for a WSU, OSU, Cal, etc at us).

Seems like they'll do it until it doesn't work. Tad switches it up, zone after makes, man after misses or the reverse. For some reasons, the Pac 12 announcers haven't figured that one out yet.

The cougs are one of the better shooting teams in the conference-I'd think we'll see less of it this evening than we have the last couple weeks.

Beating Wazzu is all about energy. Can't let them take uncontested 3s. If the perimeter defense is there tonight and they do what's become their normal good job on the defensive glass, this will be a win.
Buffs are #2 in the Pac for 3 point defense - should be fun to watch

Agreed. I'm glad Boyle has softened his stance on zone D. Having the flexibility to switch between zone and man D can be crucial. They've also been mixing in the half and 3 quarter court press well.
I think it was MacLean in the UCLA game, who was commenting that AAU ball does nothing to teach kids how to do the team part (weak side help, rotation, switching on screens, etc.) of playing man to man, and Tad might have finally acquiesced to the reality that you can't play purely m2m with such a young roster.

I'm hyped for this game.

Things I'd like to see tonight.

1. Dallas Walton getting involved in the offense off of the pick and roll, it seems like he never gets fed off of that - not sure if it's because he's not great at receiving the ball or if Kin's size limits the ability to generate a workable passing angle in tighter windows.

2. Guys continuing to step right into open 3's and confidently fire them. This team has enough competent shooters to do it, and the uncontested 3 is second only to dunks/layups as the most efficient shot in the game on a points per attempt basis.

3. Some easy baskets or good looks by breaking the press. Almost everyone has employed some version of a full court zone trap against the Buffs, the UCLA game seemed like the first time the Buffs were breaking the press as much as they were getting broken by it. Even when they haven't turned the ball over there have been a ton of possessions where the offense doesn't get started until there are 20 seconds or less on the shot clock, that can't continue to be a feature of this offense.

4. Continued tenacity on defense. UCLA got very few uncontested looks and it's why they really only had two runs in that game. Sometimes a few tough shots will fall in sequence but that's the exception not the rule.

I'm hyped for this game.

Things I'd like to see tonight.

1. Dallas Walton getting involved in the offense off of the pick and roll, it seems like he never gets fed off of that - not sure if it's because he's not great at receiving the ball or if Kin's size limits the ability to generate a workable passing angle in tighter windows.

2. Guys continuing to step right into open 3's and confidently fire them. This team has enough competent shooters to do it, and the uncontested 3 is second only to dunks/layups as the most efficient shot in the game on a points per attempt basis.

3. Some easy baskets or good looks by breaking the press. Almost everyone has employed some version of a full court zone trap against the Buffs, the UCLA game seemed like the first time the Buffs were breaking the press as much as they were getting broken by it. Even when they haven't turned the ball over there have been a ton of possessions where the offense doesn't get started until there are 20 seconds or less on the shot clock, that can't continue to be a feature of this offense.

4. Continued tenacity on defense. UCLA got very few uncontested looks and it's why they really only had two runs in that game. Sometimes a few tough shots will fall in sequence but that's the exception not the rule.
You could have just said "I want them to spin the ball really well" and I would have bought it, but that works, too!

Disappointed I can't make it tonight. I take great pleasure in laughing at Ernie Kent being confused all the time. Go Buffs!

players will be wearing the number of Ms Sarcona, the Buff who died last weekend. Tad said she was a senior, and as an athlete, she came up w/ our seniors. women's lax worked out at the keg. they were all good friends.

Back