What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

GAME THREAD - CU @ San Diego | Nov. 20th @8pm | ESPNU

Missed front ends and lack of mental toughness doomed the Buffs. It doesn't help that McKinley Wright isn't playing with the confidence he had last season.

Also where were Schwartz and N Wright in this game?

IMO it's the same ****, different year ... we cannot hit a mid range jumper and have too many guys on the floor who pose ZERO threat to the opposing defense. Brown is simply not a P12 player, not even sure he'd play at a decent mid major. Love Bey's athleticism but I don't see that he improved his offensive game at all (look at the dude Pineiro slashing, driving, dunking, hitting 3s with a similar build and length.) Schwarz just stands around most of the time. Namon disappears again.

IMO it's the same ****, different year ... we cannot hit a mid range jumper and have too many guys on the floor who pose ZERO threat to the opposing defense. Brown is simply not a P12 player, not even sure he'd play at a decent mid major. Love Bey's athleticism but I don't see that he improved his offensive game at all (look at the dude Pineiro slashing, driving, dunking, hitting 3s with a similar build and length.) Schwarz just stands around most of the time. Namon disappears again.
Tad has to start prioritizing offensive skill. This is 2018...you win championships with spacing and 3 point shooting.

Kin has plenty of confidence...he's just a 6 foot guard who has to do his work in the paint because he doesn't have a 3 point shot. How anyone of his height doesn't have a jump shot is mind boggling to me.

Tad has to start prioritizing offensive skill. This is 2018...you win championships with spacing and 3 point shooting.

Kin has plenty of confidence...he's just a 6 foot guard who has to do his work in the paint because he doesn't have a 3 point shot. How anyone of his height doesn't have a jump shot is mind boggling to me.
Are you saying that Kin was a recruiting mistake?

Are you saying that Kin was a recruiting mistake?

I think he’s just saying he’s not a great 3pt shooter. And he certainly isn’t winning any awards for his three ball...yet.

But he wins awards for other things.

I'll also point out that Tad's system doesn't lend itself to players having much creative freedom. I've said that many times.

Kin’s Going to be fine. He has to adjust to expectations, and figure out what the best use is of his game with the teammates he’s got.

Last year he was a freshman PG coming into a team that really didn’t have one. There was little weight on those shoulders. Anything halfway decent was a big upgrade (no offense to Dom, who I think we really miss as a small 2 guard).

It’ll take a few games.

Hell no. He's still one of the most dynamic players in the conference. He's tenacious and a hell of a floor general, but he won't be elite without the 3 ball.
I think he's pressing. He looks tight to me.

Biggest thing I'm seeing is that there's not a lot of flow to the offense and too much is dependent on Kin breaking down the defense or finding his own shot. Our other guards have to figure out the flow and chemistry because that's holding us back right now.

I believe that we do have enough firepower this year, but the offense has to generate good looks through more than 1-on-1 plays. If that happens, we'll see everyone start shooting like they're capable.

Have buffs hit their ceiling with tad? Asking for a friend
Overall Tad has coached about 60% wins for Buff basketball, one of the best coaching runs in Buff BB history. For what it’s worth, that translates to a football record of about 7-5 (58%). Conference record is mediocre - 64-62, excluding the post-season P12 tourney.

Tad gives us a reliably decent team with a reasonable chance to win most games. Yes, we’re probably at a ceiling barring the odd year or two when a couple of superstars choose CU, but it’s a much nicer ceiling than we’ve seen in the last couple of decades.

Have buffs hit their ceiling with tad? Asking for a friend

Have they peaked? Yes.

Is this peak particularly impressive? No.

Are 90% of CU fans nonetheless happy with the mediocre program he’s created? Yes.

Will anyone whose justifiably not happy about it get called a troll? Yes.

Missed front ends and lack of mental toughness doomed the Buffs. It doesn't help that McKinley Wright isn't playing with the confidence he had last season.

Also where were Schwartz and N Wright in this game?

Boyle's is presiding over a weak and failing program, just like MacIntyre. Boyle's team's are consistently soft and losers on the road.

Combined with poor recruiting, Boyle will need to be terminated in the next year or two if RG wants a successful men's basketball program.

Overall Tad has coached about 60% wins for Buff basketball, one of the best coaching runs in Buff BB history. For what it’s worth, that translates to a football record of about 7-5 (58%). Conference record is mediocre - 64-62, excluding the post-season P12 tourney.

Tad gives us a reliably decent team with a reasonable chance to win most games. Yes, we’re probably at a ceiling barring the odd year or two when a couple of superstars choose CU, but it’s a much nicer ceiling than we’ve seen in the last couple of decades.

Rolling over and accepting a below average team in a poor conference is a loser attitude.

RECAP

BOX SCORE

Losing 2 straight to San Diego is kind of lame. In general that was some pretty mediocre basketball(and coaching) down the stretch.

Was at the game. Tad is not a good game day coach. His teams are never good free throw shooting clubs. His offense is pass it around then throw up a desperation shot. The P12 South is smoking on the recruiting trail..except the Buffs. Alot of nice players..but no stars. Kin had a bad game....

Winnable game...but much like the football team....cant make the key plays to win...brick free throws ..bad shots...

Fire lady show at half was..well...wierd! Good Buff nation turnout. As the case with all my games I've been in fb and bb...I got to watch an L...what else in new..

Last edited:
It’s not the end of the season that we lost this game. First roadie against a decent team.

But with our schedule we can’t afford any more losses in non-conference.

Really hate being in this position.

Wow, the football sh*t show has seeped into our attitudes toward the basketball team. 3 games in and people are calling for heads, questioning the abilities of certain players and proclaiming the season over. USD is a pretty good team that rolls out a starting lineup with 4 seniors and will probably fight for a 2nd place finish in the WCC. No excuses for the way we played because it was pretty disjointed, but to start dropping doom and gloom this early is pretty weak. Lose to AFA or Portland and have at it. Otherwise, relax for a bit.

Where is Rumblin' Buff when you need him to defend the banana stand? Cross country is hard you a***hole.

Anywho, I love Tad but agree with the sentiment that I'm tired of seeing players who don't contribute enough from a defense/rebounding/ball-handling/passing standpoint to make up for their lack of offensive aptitude...no one was willing to create their own shot last night and get buckets, other than Battey attacking the post

I think Namon needs to start, not sure what's up with his relationship with Tad, but he's much more of a consistent force than Schwartz or Brown, and is a better rebounder while being a more versatile defender

Anyone know a solid program with a "system" offense that doesn't rely as much on individual players creating their own offense? Wichita comes to mind but they've had some studs over the years – maybe more of a Butler/Syracuse/Utah type, I dunno

After years of watching Buffs basketball, I'm still bewildered that Tad doesn't seem to be able to develop an effective offensive system. All I see is a bunch of stranding around and half hearted screens that sometimes are so sloppy that they look like slip screens without the player cutting to the basket. Perhaps Tad should look to hire an offensive guru for his staff? That would free him up to concentrate on defense and rebounding, which he seems to be more interested in anyway.

Year in, year out the Buffs are consistently inconsistent. It’s really frustrating. I know there are several reasons, but just one season I’d love to see us play consistently good basketball at home, on the road and in conference. To do that we need players to bring it every game and not every once in a while. Last night our starting 5 was below average. And I know it’s the nature of the game. But come on!

Back