What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's basketball hosts Pepperdine (Tues., 11/27, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The women's bball schedule is giving the team a nice hard early season workout as they're already back in action tomorrow, and it's a battle of the unvanquished as the 5-0 Buffs face off against the 3-0 Pepperdine Waves on Tuesday evening at the CU-EC.

Take it to them Buffs!

Preview-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/26/womens-basketball-buffs-back-home-against-pepperdine.aspx

"
By: Seth Pringle, Assistant SID

BOULDER—
The University of Colorado women's basketball team returns home to the CU Events Center after a successful 2-0 road trip. The Buffaloes will play their third game in five days when they host Pepperdine on Tuesday.

CU spent the Thanksgiving holiday playing in the Nevada Nugget Classic. The Buffs posted a pair of wins against Nevada and Utah State to move to 5-0 on the season. Colorado battled through adversity in both wins to remain perfect on the season.

"The fact that they were close ballgames where we had to execute down the stretch, defend, rebound and get stops—all of those things are great for us," head coach JR Payne explained. "They help us learn. That is what preseason is for. You get to have a variety of on-court experiences that prepare you for Pac-12 play. I definitely think those two games did that for us."

The Buffs battled Utah State on Sunday afternoon and arrived back in Boulder later that evening. The team went through practice on Monday to prepare for the quick turnaround against Pepperdine.

"I think fatigue and the ability re-focus on new opponents in the quick turnaround are some of the challenges," Payne said. "We got a little bit of work on that this past weekend. We had a good game against Nevada and then had to put that in the closet and turnaround and get ready for the next one. We have to do the same thing. I thought we did a good job of being able to re-focus. We are going to do the same for Pepperdine."

Pepperdine is off to its best start (3-0) in its last 20 years. The Waves have wins over Hawaii, Sacramento State and Cal Poly. They had to postpone their Nov. 16 matchup with UC Irvine due to the severe fire conditions surrounding their Malibu campus.

Tuesday game will be streamed on Colorado Live Stream channel. Fans can listen to the Buffs all season long on AM 630 (KHOW).
"

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/26/Pepperdine.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2243&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Last edited:
Pepperdine is 3-0 with wins over @Hawai'i, Sacramento State and @ Cal Poly. Their game v UC-IRvine had to be rescheduled, I assume due to the fire.

Pepperdine is off to its best start (3-0) in its last 20 years. The Waves have wins over Hawaii, Sacramento State and Cal Poly. They had to postpone their Nov. 16 matchup with UC Irvine due to the severe fire conditions surrounding their Malibu campus.

16-9 Buffs as they are RUNNING tonight; around 4 minutes left in the 1st. (I'd guess about 6 points off the fast break, along with 6 more where Leonard's fed a cutting Buff for a layup after being in the offense for a second or two.)

22-15 Buffs at the end of the 1st quarter. (It could be a bigger lead except they're cold from outside so far- (0-5 from 3).)

43-38 at the half.

Offensively, the Buffs' flow slowed down some late in the 2nd when the waves switched from a zone to woman on woman. Defensively, I believe their top scorer had no points halfway through the 2nd (edit- she had 4 in the 1st quarter), then scored 13 or so (featuring 3 3's) in about 4 minutes.

Edit- one stat any coach would love- the Buffs have 14 assists on their 19 made buckets.

Last edited:
Buffs are not good defensively.

On the flip side, they were carving the Waves up for the most part. All of the Buffs’ bigs were effective.

Peanut started tonight in place of Jank. Knight’s not suited up.

Oh, CU was 1-9 from 3 point range.

Outside shooting hurting the Buffs bad in this one- waves 8-18 from 3 so far (per livestats anyways); Buffs 1-11.

Note- Livestats score must be off, as they're showing the Buffs up 58-56 at the end of 3. (I'd noticed they also didn't agree with an earlier Buff bball tweet.)

Note 2 - Stream is no longer working for me.

Buffs with the 1st 10 points in the 4th to go up 68-58- timeout waves.

Stream back up for me.

Didn't see what happened, but play is suddenly stopped, and Diop has to be helped/ carried off the court by a couple teammates with some sort of leg injury. Hope nothing too serious.

Buffs doing a great job and dominating the 4th quarter to go up 79-63 with just a few seconds left.

Bunn left the team half way through the year last year. She was good and this team misses her attitude.

Didn't see what happened, but play is suddenly stopped, and Diop has to be helped/ carried off the court by a couple teammates with some sort of leg injury. Hope nothing too serious.
She seemed in a lot of pain when she was sitting on the bench and then went to the locker room. On the radio following the game the announcers stated it was only an ankle sprain. It sure seemed worse at the time.

It was an interesting game tactically. Early on it looked a bit like the game v North Carolina where it was played at the pace the Buffs like. Kudos to Pepperdine for changing to a physical man to man defense which CU had trouble with. And while the Waves changed their defense their best player, Yasmine Robinson-Bacote (25 points on 10-16 from the floor, 5-7 from deep), erupted hitting almost everything she launched. Pepperdine was able to ride there defense, rebounding and shooting to a lead in the 3rd quarter. And then the Buffs changed tactics going into a s zone. This disrupted what Pepperdine was doing and Robinson-Bacote was taken out of the game. This allowed the Buffs to regain the lead and pull away.

Boy did Peanut take advantage of her first start. 18 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes on 7-11 from the floor. I love her confidence and poise.

Boy did Peanut take advantage of her first start. 18 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes on 7-11 from the floor. I love her confidence and poise.

Also impressive to me how she already seems to be able to finish her shot through contact. (Ms. Jenk also had a couple similarly strong finishes on shots tonight.) Can only imagine how strong she'll be after a year or two in the college weight and conditioning programs.

Article and some highlights on tonight's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/27...e-defense-proves-key-in-win-for-colorado.aspx

"
BOULDER–Colorado women's basketball moved to 6-0 to start the season on Tuesday. The Buffaloes finished off their third game in five days with an 80-65 win over Pepperdine.

STAT LEADERS: The Buffs got production from both young and old. Freshman Peanut Tuitele and senior Kennedy Leonard each totaled 18 points on the night. Tuitele also snagged six rebounds in her first career start. Leonard recorded her first double-double of the season, totaling 10 assists. She was also big on the glass with seven rebounds. Sophomores Mya Hollingshed and Annika Jank also hit double figures. Hollinshed closed the night with 13 points, while Jank provided 12 off the bench.

Pepperdine's Yasmine Robinson-Bacote led all players with 25 points.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado's defense has been superb when called upon. The Buffs held Robinson-Bacote to just two points in seven minutes in the fourth quarter. CU held an 11-5 rebounding advantage in the final period, including nine defensive boards.

NOTES: Colorado best start since 2016-17 (10-0)…first career start for Tuitele…season-high in points (18) for Tuitele…CU has had four players score in double figures in its last two games (vs Utah State)…Colorado finished a season-low 1-of-12 from 3-point range…CU totaled a season-high 50 points in the paint…Leonard's 10 assists were the most since she handed out 13 against Washington last season...Alexis Robinson scored four points and is now just seven shy of 1,000 on her career...Leonard now has 572 career assists, closing in on Bridget Turner's record of 612.

UP NEXT: Colorado hits the road for the final time in the nonconference season. The Buffs will head south to Miami (Fla.) for a rematch with the Hurricanes on Sunday.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall thoughts
"Two undefeated basketball teams clashed tonight. Two good rebounding teams. Two teams with good scorers who have played really good games so far this year. It was what we expected. We expected a battle. We knew that we were capable of beating this team, but we knew it would not be easy. It certainly was not. We defended and executed down the stretch to get the win. It was a good win by our team tonight."

On switching to a zone defense
"That was the catalyst for everything in the second half. We were having a hard time stopping that kid (Yasmine Robinson-Bacote). Anybody who is capable of scoring 47 points in a DI basketball game is a dang good scorer. She is that. We thought that that might disrupt their flow and rhythm a little bit. Thankfully, it did. We got hands on balls that led to some transition opportunities and all of that was really good for us on both ends on the floor."

On sliding Peanut Tuitele into the starting lineup
"We felt like Peanut has been consistently one of our very best rebounders. Every night she pretty much leads us in rebounding. We knew that this was a great rebounding team. That was something that we needed from the jump. We also felt like one of Annika [Jank's] strengths are her motor and ability to run the floor—which is a positive here at elevation. We thought we might bring her in when their post defense got a little fatigued after a couple minutes and she could put pressure on rebounding by running the floor. I think it worked out well. They both had really good games tonight.

"For us, starting is not that relevant. A lot of times we like to bring some of our most energetic and productive players off the bench. For us, it is more about who finishes the game than who starts it. I thought it was a good adjustment tonight. We have great post players. They are very unselfish. They do not care who starts. They do not care who gets the glory. They just want to do their job and do what is asked of them. When you have players like that on your team is does not matter who starts or who plays. It is a team win."

Senior Kennedy Leonard
On defense down the stretch
"We switched to a zone. Coach T [Toriano Towns] told us to go into a zone and I think there were a lot of veterans on the floor and Peanut as well—but we work on zone every day. Our zone is kind of unorthodox so we kind of do different things. Just those looks and what they were running against. We had our hands up and we got our hands on a lot of balls and we attacked in transition once we got those steals."

On CU's young players stepping up
"It helps us a ton. It kind of takes the weight off our shoulders. You know me and Lex [Alexis Robinson] kind of come to work every day knowing we have to be leaders and do what we do. At the same time, we have to lead the younger kids with us. With the kids we have now, we do not really have to do much. Peanut holds the room really well. She leads the room really well and she is a really good voice. I think Lex and I are lucky with the younger kids we have. We do not have to do too much with them. They kind of just come to work every day and are ready to go."

Freshman Peanut Tuitele
On Getting the Ball inside
"Our scout was saying their post-game was not as strong as the competitors we faced before. I definitely took advantage of that and ducked in. Credit to my guards for feeding me the ball."

On the confidence of the team
"I think the big confidence booster was the UNC [North Carolina] game. Our confidence just keeps growing throughout the day. So far, I think the best competitors we have played are each other, which is really great for us. Our confidence has grown, and it just keeps going."
"
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/27/Box_Score_Pepperdine_at_Colorado_28_November.pdf

One of the interesting statistics from last night's game is the Buffs hitting only 1-12 from three point land while still hitting over 50% from the field.

The Buffs were definitely better defensively in the zone. It totally took Pepperdine out of their comfort zone.

Miami is up next Sunday in Coral Cables. The Hurricanes are 6-1 with their loss coming at Iowa State. On paper this will be their toughest non-conference game.

Back