What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball hosts SJSU (Thurs., 12/6, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
LOTS of home cooking the next month for WBB. Hope they feast on all their opponents- starting with San Jose State. Beat the Spartans!

(Sounds like a cool ticket promo (see bottom of the quoted preview below) for all you hep cats out there.)

Direct link to preview - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/4/womens-basketball-colorado-opens-homestand-on-thursday.aspx

"
BOULDER, Colo.—The Colorado women's basketball team begins a season-long seven-game homestand, hosting San Jose State on Thursday (7 p.m. MT). The stretch at the CU Events Center takes the team into the New Year and Pac-12 conference play.

CU suffered its first loss of the season on Sunday. The Buffaloes made a quick trip across the country to then No. 21/20 Miami. The longest trip of the season was no walk on the beach for the Buffs, resulting in a 73-58 finish. Miami shot 53.1 percent from the field while holding Colorado to 34.8 percent on the day.

The setback at Miami is being taken in stride by the young Buffs.

"The reality is we are not going 35-0 this season," head coach JR Payne explained. "I think it was a learning experience for us. We have faced adversity now at home and the road. To play an opponent like that—that is a Pac-12 style game on the road. For us to have that opportunity early on in the season is good for our young team. They just have to learn from it and bounce back."

Colorado mixed up the starting combination last week, inserting freshman Peanut Tuitele into the lineup. The decision paid off right away with Tuitele scoring 18 points in her first start against Pepperdine. She led the offense at Miami with 15 points, earning Pac-12 Freshman of the Week honors.

"She has just been so consistent for a freshman," Payne commented. "She is someone we rely on every day for great energy, enthusiasm and she is producing on the court."

San Jose State (1-5) comes to Boulder for the third time in the series. CU has won both of the previous meetings with the Spartans, the last being a 97-89 overtime-win in 2014.

The Spartans enter Thursday on a two-game skid. SJSU's lone win came against CSU Bakersfield (82-72), breaking a 0-3 start to the season. They have been productive from 3-point distance this season, ranking 23rd in the NCAA with 9.3 3's per game.

Promotions: We are taking things back to the 1950s in the first Throwback Thursday game of the season. Fans can get $6 tickets with the promo code SJST at CUBuffs.com/promo. There will be a keychain giveaway, featuring a retro Ralphie logo.
"

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/12/4/SJSU.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2245&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

San José Sate will come to Boulder with a 1-5 record. Losses to: San Francisco State, San Francisco, Portland State, Pacific and UC Irvine. Lone win was v CSU Bakersfield. Their opponents are averaging 79.2 ppg and they are getting out rebounded by 11.9 a game.

odd game. CU needs t quit shooting so many three's so fast. At 1 point tonight in the first half they were 2-19. Mya probably could have scored 40 tonight if they would have pressed it inside consistently.

odd game. CU needs t quit shooting so many three's so fast. At 1 point tonight in the first half they were 2-19. Mya probably could have scored 40 tonight if they would have pressed it inside consistently.
JR not gonna be happy about that. Missing shots is going to happen. Not that. It's that you've got to get paint touches. If you do, frankly, you probably don't go 2/19 from 3 because jump shots are easier when taken off a kick out from the paint than when taken as a pull up or off a lateral perimeter pass. When off a kick out, you're naturally squared up and it's also what you're used to when taking practice shots (rebounder passing out to you).

Congrats to the team on the win. Article on this evening's game below.

(Also, based on a buffzone.com article (http://www.buffzone.com/womensbaske...ketball-loses-aubrey-knight-season?source=rss), best wishes to Buff sophomore Aubrey Knight for a complete, speedy and not too painful or annoying recovery from her shoulder injury and surgery. Hope she comes back strong next season.)

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/6/womens-basketball-leonard-hollingshed-fuel-buffs.aspx

"
BOULDER–University of Colorado senior Kennedy Leonard continued to climb up the school's all-time scoring list for women's basketball here Thursday night, surpassing the 1,500-point mark in helping the Buffaloes defeat San Jose State, 76-64.

Sophomore Mya Hollingshed enjoyed a career-night, registering her first career double-double. She set new-highs with 24 points and 11 rebounds to lead all players in both categories.

The win improves Colorado to 7-1 on the season. San Jose State falls to 1-6.

Stat Leaders: Colorado had three players finish in double figures. Tuitele, the reigning Pac-12 Freshman of the Week, joined Hollingshed and Leonard with 17 points. She also added five rebounds to her final line. Leonard was active on both sides of the court, closing with eight rebounds and seven assists.

Cydni Lewis paced the Spartans with 18 points.

How it Happened: Colorado benefited from timely runs, especially in the second half. The Buffs opened the third quarter, scoring the first seven points to regain the double-digit lead. SJSU came right back, cutting CU's lead to 42-39. The resilient Buffs charged back with an 11-0 run over at 2:30 span, putting the game out of reach at 53-39.

Key Statistic: Colorado used its size to its advantage. The Buffs outscored the Spartans 46-18 in the paint. CU scored at least 10 points down low in all four quarters. The game's biggest margin came in the third quarter with Colorado winning the paint, 14-4.

Notes: CU improves to 5-0 at home this season…Colorado has won all three meetings against the Spartans…Colorado handed out a season-high 20 assists…CU's eight turnovers marked a season-low…SJSU's leading scorer Fieme'a Hafoka (11.6 ppg) was held to six points on the night…SJSU had a season-low in free-throws made (4) and attempted (5)…Leonard moved into 11th on CU's all-time scoring list (1,514) and ninth in most 3FGM (146)…she is also second in assists with 592…Tuitele has scored a combined 50 points in CU's last three games.

Up Next: CU remains at home through the start of the New Year. The Buffs will host Navy on Sunday (1 p.m.).

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall thoughts
"One of our great boosters came up to me after the game and said, 'Well the good thing is you have something to work on tomorrow.' The reality is that is what the preseason is about. We have not played a perfect game yet this year and I doubt we'll play one at any point this season, but we will strive for it. The preseason is designed to challenge and test you and see what your strengths and weaknesses are. We clearly have things that we need to continue to work on and grow. We also clearly have some things that we do pretty well. I was proud of our rebounding effort tonight and at times we moved the ball really well. We have just got to shoot the ball better from three and we will continue to work on that."

On what the team needs to work on
"We need to be able to penetrate the paint. When our 3's are not falling we have to be able to do something else besides continually shoot the 3. I think when we turn on the film we will see that there was a lot of opportunities to penetrate the paint. We need to take those opportunities in the half-court offense."

On changes after the first quarter timeout
"The biggest thing we were talking about was transition defense. We like to transition and they also like to transition. We were not communicating as effectively as we needed to transition defense wise. They continued to get people open near the basket. I think we were more concerned about shooters on the perimeter but that is something that is easily fixable through film study and making that adjustment. We did talk about penetrating more and getting back in transition."

Senior Kennedy Leonard
On reaching 1,500 career points
"I knew that I could get it, but it was not my main concern. I think the team relies on me to get the offense going. The first half I think I only had 4 points [seven] and a few assists. In the second half, I came in and tried to get to the basket. I would draw a lot of attention, so I would try to get my teammates involved. I just need to get the team involved early to see what we can get out of it."

On closing in on the all-time assist record
"If I get it that is cool, if I do not that is cool too. I do not really care as long as we are winning games. I am more competitive than anything. If we can win some games and I get it that is cool. If we win and I do not get it that is cool. But if we lose that is not cool. I am just trying to get us some wins and if I get the record, I get the record."

Sophomore Mya Hollingshed
On her career night
"I just continue to do what I do best. Coach just told me to keep finding the open spaces in the zone. I just kept moving and I knew Kennedy was going to find me. I was working to get my team open and have them get open shots. I just play it play-to-play. I do not really worry about the numbers. I am glad that I finally got a double-double, but we have just got to worry about Navy on Sunday."

On a having a bigger presence in the paint
"I have been trying to incorporate some low post presence and I think it's been working out for the best. I have just got to keep working every day and continue to practice."
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=12431

Pat Rooney is reporting that Knight is out for the year with a shoulder injury that is going to require surgery. I really think this is best. She needs to get that shoulder right or else it is could force her to retire.

JR could not have been happy with all the 3's that were being launched last night. Many times, it seemed like they didn't work to get the ball inside.

Congrats to Mya on her first double double!

Can not be happy with all the threes especially when you are shooting such a low percentage. Got to get that fixed before conference play.

Can not be happy with all the threes especially when you are shooting such a low percentage. Got to get that fixed before conference play.

Buffs from 3-point range: 57-192 for .297

Opponents from 3-point range: 56-173 for .324

This certainly isn't going to be the formula for many wins in conference play. Especially when there is a a dependence on treys at times. The Buffs have too often struggled from long range this season with primarily inferior opposition.

Additionally, the Buffs continue to turn the ball over at about the same rate as their opponents.

Back