What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball hosts Utah (Sun., 12/30, 1:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Go Buffs- start the Pac 12 season off STRONG!!!

Preview - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/29...s-buffs-open-pac-12-play-at-home-vs-utah.aspx

"
BOULDER — With a 10-1 non-conference effort in the rearview mirror and a top-50 RPI ranking in hand, the Colorado women's basketball team will enter Pac-12 play with plenty of confidence and momentum.
JR Payne's Buffs will have a chance to build on both Sunday when they play host to unbeaten Utah in the conference opener for both teams in a 1 p.m. game at the CU Events Center. It is the first of three straight home games to open conference play for the Buffs.

"I feel like we grew a lot throughout the preseason," Payne said earlier this week after welcoming her team back from the holiday break. "There were games when maybe we played well offensively but our defense wasn't as strong, and games when we were really good defensively but maybe our offense wasn't as good. But we kept working as a team, and overall I think we got a lot better. That's what preseason is for. It challenged us, and now we're ready for the next challenge."

The Utes will definitely fill the bill in that regard after putting together a perfect 11-0 mark in non-conference play. Like the Buffs, they are a blend of battle-tested seniors and some talented youngsters — and both teams know that starting league play off on the right foot is imperative in what might be the toughest conference in the nation, especially when it comes to depth.

The Utes are led by senior post players Megan Huff (20.4 ppg) and Daneesha Provo (13.9 ppg), along with freshman forward Dre'Una Edwards (12.4 ppg). The Utes also have a veteran point guard in senior Erika Bean.
The two teams met three times last year, with each winning on the other's home court before the Buffs claimed the rubber match in the opening round of the Pac-12 tournament.
This time around, the Buffs want to make sure they protect their home floor while building some early conference momentum. After Sunday, the Buffs will host Arizona on Friday and Arizona State the following Sunday.
"

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/12/27//Utah.pdf

Media links -
Live video
- match is being shown live on the Pac 12 National and Mountain channels. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to one of those Pac 12 channels, believe the match can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-basketball/event/2018/12/30/utah-colorado .

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2249&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

It's only the first conference game, but it looks to me like this game is a must win if the Buffs want to make the post season (NCAA or WNIT). Why? Because the first six games of the conference schedule appear to be the easiest stretch. After Utah they get the Arizona's at home and thn they are at the Washington's before they go to Utah. So they have a shot at going 5-1. The only team on this list with a higher RPI than CU is Arizona State.

It will be interesting to see how CU matches up with Utah's posts. Rebounding? The Buffs have done well in the non-conference, but now that they are in Pac 12 play it's gonna be at different level.

Hope the Buffs aren't too rusty after 10 days without a game.

I think its a must win. With the layoff and Swartz leaving it will be interesting to see how the team responds. Going to need Peanut to be a force on the boards imo

Lots of inside shots so far for both teams.

A little 3 point advantage for the Utes so far. (2-3 vs. 0-2 for the Buffs). (Good sign the Buffs have only tried 2.)

Last edited:
Ugly offensive stretch, along with giving up a few 2nd chance buckets, had the Buffs down 10, but they've come back with a couple nice drives to cut it to 5. 47-42 Utes- they take a timeout with 5:10 left in the 3rd.

I was worried about this. CU does not have enough talent to not play well and win games in the PAC 12

It looks like it will be a struggle for the Buffs to win games in the PAC 12 this season if they don't improve in at least some of the areas that were exposed in todays game vs Utah. Too many missed lay-ups and jump shots.Rebounds that bounced around and ended up in Utah's hands instead of being grabbed by the Buffs. Poor 3 point shooting. The defense did not look like they were prepared for the Utah offense. Most of the hustle plays went Utah's way. Lack of bench scoring. Etc.
It will be interesting to see if the team improves for the Arizona game which will be another game the Buffs should be able towin.

It looks like it will be a struggle for the Buffs to win games in the PAC 12 this season if they don't improve in at least some of the areas that were exposed in todays game vs Utah. Too many missed lay-ups and jump shots.Rebounds that bounced around and ended up in Utah's hands instead of being grabbed by the Buffs. Poor 3 point shooting. The defense did not look like they were prepared for the Utah offense. Most of the hustle plays went Utah's way. Lack of bench scoring. Etc.
It will be interesting to see if the team improves for the Arizona game which will be another game the Buffs should be able towin.

I think they are not strong enough inside. except for Peanut, they seem to be soft and not strong enough to finish at the rim. J.R. mentioned hustle plays and that people who usually do not shoot well shot well but they give up so many open shots that good players will make them. The next stretch will decide their fate this year. I am hoping for the NIT but right now that will be tough for this team

Peanut is playing with a broken nose. They put cotton in her nostril. She periodically has to come out so she can breathe.

Mya has improved so much since last year, but they all need to improve--a lot.

I try to be optimistic, but there was so little bench scoring today and no 3 point defense. I don't know where the points come from past the starters. As in shape as they are, playing 40 minutes a game will wear them out by season's end.

Peanut is playing with a broken nose. They put cotton in her nostril. She periodically has to come out so she can breathe.

Mya has improved so much since last year, but they all need to improve--a lot.

I try to be optimistic, but there was so little bench scoring today and no 3 point defense. I don't know where the points come from past the starters. As in shape as they are, playing 40 minutes a game will wear them out by season's end.

This is where Bunn, Jamie ?? being gone and Jank not playing well again and able to provide anything hurts. Knight being hurt is bad and Swartz being gone tell me except for Clark there is no chance of points off the bench. I hope the freshman are great next year or it will be real bad with both Leonard and Robison gone

This is where Bunn, Jamie ??
Not sure Jamie would have made a difference. Bunn would have. Jank has regressed.

Next season the post play could be improved with the addition of Charlotte Whittaker. She's looks to have the talent and international experience to get some playing time.

The defense did not look like they were prepared for the Utah offense.
I thought they did a decent job on Utah's post players (Megan Duff was 5-13) which was most likely an emphasis, but the trade-off was giving up a lot of wide open, in rhythm treys (13-22!)

CU did lose the battle on the boards as well which didn't make things easier.

I thought CU's half court offense was pedestrian and predictable. They don't have good ball movement, depend on the two man game to work and once the shot clock gets down to about 12 seconds everyone knows what's going to happen. There's a lot on Kennedy's shoulders.

It seems the Buffs don't have s single consistent perimeter shooter this season. And I don't think things will be any better in this area next season.

I hope the freshman are great next year or it will be real bad with both Leonard and Robison gone
I too hope so, but with the exception of Whittaker I don't think there will be any help offensively.

After this game it looks like the Buffs are going to finish about 9th in the conference.

Arizona beat Arizona State yesterday - the Wildcats led the entire game in Tucson. What looked like one of the easier games on the Buffs' conference schedule looks like it won't be so easy.

The transfer of Cam Swartz is really gonna hurt the Buffs next season. She looked to me like she was on track to be a reliable scorer/shooter who could create her shots.

got to somehow pick up two shooters to not fall to last next year. I also wonder if Knight will ever play again with her shoulders. She just seems fragile. Love how she plays but seems to be fragile

Back