What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread- Women's bball visits Air Force (Friday, 12/15, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
The Buffs head down to the Springs this Friday to face the Falcons, who I assume are HUNGRY for a W after starting the season 0-9 with it sounds like MANY close losses. (Hopefully the Buffs can take these few hours as a "vacation" from what I assume is a tense time for many/ most of them with finals starting Saturday.)

Preview article-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12/13/womens-basketball-cu-travels-to-air-force-on-friday.aspx

"
BOULDER - Colorado's women's basketball team will travel to Air Force on Friday for a 7 p.m. game at the Air Force Academy. Cory Lopez and Carol Callan will bring the action to fans on the radio on 630 KHOW.

The Buffs (7-2) are looking to rebound from their second loss of the season after falling 81-75 to Dartmouth on Monday.

SCOUTING AIR FORCE: The Falcons are 0-9 this season, though have suffered four of those defeats by three or fewer points and all but two have been by 10 or fewer points. Air Force is ramping up its schedule with its final two non-conference games before starting Mountain West play, facing the Buffs and No. 3/4 Louisville to close out action before the Christmas holiday.

Two players average over 10 points for AF, led by freshman guard Kaelin Immel at 12.0 points per game. She is shooting 32.1 percent from the floor and also averaging 3.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists.

LOOKING AHEAD: CU will host Westminster (Mo.) at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 21, at the Coors Events Center to wrap up non-conference play. The Griffins, a Division III school, are 3-5 this season. CU junior Kennedy Leonard will be honored before the game for scoring her 1,000th career point earlier this season and it will be CU's annual holiday game with giveaways and activities to celebrate the holiday season.
"

Live Video link (Hopefully a free stream) - http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/videos/live.html

Live Audio (Stream of Buff Radio's 630 KHOW broadcast) - http://www.cubuffs.com/watch/
(Note- for anyone near the Springs, the AFA radio broadcast looks like it will be on Xtra Sports Radio 1300 AM.)

Link to link to Live Stats - http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=afa

I still don't know why CU is playing a DIII school in December. Maybe as an exhibition game but not this time of year.

Air Force's RealTimeRPI is 346, there are only two teams in D1 below them. The Buffs fell to 43 after the loss to Dartmouth.

Obviously this should not be a contest. Regardless, I would bet Air Force will try to force CU into a half court game.

On a different note, I too don't get the Westminster game on the schedule. They get more out of scrimmaging themselves than playing a D3 team. Don't think attendance will be very good a week from now.

Ever since I saw the schedule, I haven't understood the Westminster game. Yes, scrimmaging would be more effective. Just hope no one gets hurt in that game.

Buffs going to have work to do on this one- they're down 11-15 at the end of the 1st quarter; Hollingshed with the 3 late made it that close.

Looks like the offense is having issues again, as pretty much every possession has lead to a mid-range jump shot, and as has been the case lately, they generally aren't shooting that well. They also haven't been able to get many offensive rebounds (2 so far), and already have 8 turnovers.

19-21 Falcons at the 2nd quarter media timeout.

(Always fun listening to these local streams, and their issues with names. I guess for this Air Force announcer, Ms. Leonard is Cassidy Leonard.)

Buffs finally having some success getting it inside against the much smaller Falcons, and take their biggest lead, 38-32, with around 7 minutes to go in the 3rd. TO Air Force.

Game has quickly gone from nail-biter to blow out, as Buffs lead 68-41 at the 4th quarter media timeout.

And, it's over, with neither team doing much scoring in "garbage" time- leading to a 68-43 final.

A nice sign for team depth, believe at least 2 lightly used players going into this one (Curtis and Castro) were on the court when the Buffs took over the later part of the 3rd quarter, with Carter also contributing later in the 3rd and into the 4th.

It's hard to get any realistic sense of the game without watching in person, but my guess is that the Air Force played a lot of "slow ball" which is exactly what CU doesn't want. Glad they figured things out in the third quarter to quickly put the game away.

Boy does Jank continue to produce! 16 points on 7-10 from the floor to go along with 11 rebounds tonight. Kennedy had 17 points and 8 assists.

Air Force is among the worst of the worst in D1. Their last winning season was in 1994-95 - and that was when Air Force WBB was in Division II! (Back in the '90s, some D1 schools had D2 WBB programs.)

I was sensing "upset alert" in the first half and first few minutes of the third quarter before reality set in.

In the meantime, how can Air Force continuously fail yet Navy and Army have competitive WBB programs that not only do well in their conferences but also make the postseason?

Article on the win-

Direct link - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/12...from-air-force-with-dominant-second-half.aspx

"
USAF Academy, Colo. – Colorado used a dominant second half to pull away from Air Force for a 68-43 win on Friday night at Clune Arena. The Buffs improved to 8-2 this season, while Air Force dropped to 0-10.

Annika Jank had 16 points and 11 rebounds for her fourth double-double, while Kennedy Leonard finished with 17 points on 6-of-11 shooting with eight assists.

STAT LEADERS: Jank and Leonard were the biggest leaders offensively, but Alexis Robinson added seven points, Aubrey Knight had six, and five bench players combined for 17 more, including 11 in the second half. Leonard and freshman Sara Castro each had three steals, while Janea Bunn had five points, five rebounds and three blocked shots for a well-rounded evening, while battling foul trouble.

Kaelin Immel led Air Force with 16 points.

KEY STATISTICS: CU shot 10-of-15 (.667) in the third quarter and 51.9 percent for the game. Coming off its second-worst shooting night of the season in a loss to Dartmouth on Monday, the improved shooting proved to be a difference. CU also outrebounded Air Force 47-26. The Falcons were held to just 27.4 percent shooting in the game, including 6-of-29 (.207) in the second half.

NOTES: Jank had her fourth double-double this season and her third in the past five games ... CU closed the third quarter on a 17-0 run and stretched that run to 28-2 in the fourth quarter to lead 66-38, its largest lead of the game ... CU's +21 rebounding margin was its second-best this season (+27 vs. North Dakota State) ... the Buffs outscored Air Force 38-15 in the second half ... CU was playing without seniors Zoe Correal and Brecca Thomas, who both traveled, but sat out with injuries.

UP NEXT: CU wraps up non-conference play on Thursday when it hosts Westminster (Mo.) at 7 p.m. Leonard will be honored before the game for scoring her 1,000th point earlier this season.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
JR Payne, head coach
On what sparked the run in the third quarter
"We had a little talk at halftime about playing with pride and we came out with a different level of intensity. Offensively, defensively, on the glass, I think we were a different ball club in the first five minutes of the third quarter than we were in the entire first half."

On trying to replicate Air Force's intensity in practice
"It is hard to replicate because all of those players play as hard as Aubrey Knight and Annika Jank. And we've had a bunch of injuries so we haven't even had 10 people in practice so it has been hard to replicate that type of effort and tenacity that Air Force comes with, which is why I told Chris [Gobrecht] I'm such a fan of this program and all military academies because their kids play like that every single night, no matter what the score is."

On changing things up on defense in the third quarter
"We ran a couple defenses that we hadn't done until the last two days, but it was great effort and we were flying around. We were really long and we rebounded a lot out of it, which is sometimes a concern in zone [defense]."

On the defense of Leonard and Robinson
"[We need] more defensive presence to start with. Both of those kids love to play offense and we had, specifically with Kennedy yesterday, a long talk about being a complete player. Kennedy is a player that loves the game of basketball and wants to be as great as she can be and we told her that her defensive needs to get better and really challenged her in that area. We challenged Lexi in the same way to give us more than jump shots and offense. We need them to defend and rebound."

On toughness and intensity of Air Force
"We want to play that way and that's always been our makeup. We have a lot of new people that we are grooming to be really tough and really fearless and really disciplined. It just takes time. They have a team full of them. We have some and everyone is trying to get there, and we will get there. We feel like we've recruited a lot of length and athleticism and when those players really all buy into that idea of toughness and grit, we're going to be really hard to beat."
"

Box score - http://www.cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=10062

Air Force's current coach is the former coach at Washington, USC and Yale. First the players have to be Air Force cadets and second, they play basketball.

CU is a much better team than Air Force, but it's hard to tell how much better as it looked like JR was not interested in running up the score.

Next up is Westminster and I hope nobody gets hurt in that game as it should never have been scheduled in December.

Air Force's current coach is the former coach at Washington, USC and Yale. First the players have to be Air Force cadets and second, they play basketball.

CU is a much better team than Air Force, but it's hard to tell how much better as it looked like JR was not interested in running up the score.

Next up is Westminster and I hope nobody gets hurt in that game as it should never have been scheduled in December.
Yes, AFA has challenges. But AFA also has advantages. They don't have scholarship limits and can put a bunch of players in academy prep school every year, selecting the best to play on the actual AFA team. That is the model that works so well for the academies in football.

I did not know that. I knew that some kids go to academy prep school, but didn't realize they use that for athletics.

I knew Jamee Swan's brother plays basketball for Air Force. Just looked on the Air Force website and he attended the Air Force Academy Prep School.

Noticed that Correal didn't play and of course neither did Caylao-Do. I wonder when both will be healthy enough to play?

Apparently finals started yesterday at CU. This may in part explain why they have scheduled a DIII team for next Thursday night.

Re: Correal ... she has had something with one of her knees this season .... not enough to keep her out but, prior to the Dartmouth game, she has been playing somewhat limited minutes and wearing a sleeve on her one knee. At coaches talk pre-Dartmouth tip-off, coach said Correal had fallen on that knee and they were keeping her out. No estimate on return time.

Re: Q : From that same coaches talk .... her broken hand is healing. The original projection was that she may be back in January. No change to that.

Zoe has severe tendonitis in her knees. A fall would not help her knees.

Hope Q gets to come back in January.

Finals are still no excuse to schedule a DIII team. Schedule Air Force, like they did, for the day before finals started. Then don't play until finals are over. Schedule a DI team. Commencement is Friday, December 22, which means finals should be over. Every school has this problem and they don't schedule DIII schools.

Re: Correal ... she has had something with one of her knees this season .... not enough to keep her out but, prior to the Dartmouth game, she has been playing somewhat limited minutes and wearing a sleeve on her one knee. At coaches talk pre-Dartmouth tip-off, coach said Correal had fallen on that knee and they were keeping her out. No estimate on return time.

Re: Q : From that same coaches talk .... her broken hand is healing. The original projection was that she may be back in January. No change to that.

Correal is starting to remind me of Huggins last year.

Back