What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #23 Lacrosse hosts #22 USC (NOW on Sat., 3/16, 11:00 MT) and ASU (Sunday, 1:00)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to the lacrosse team- fight for the W's and surge to top of the Pac!

Note- I usually like to wait for the cubuffs.com preview article before posting a thread, but since there's news that THE BIG GAME AGAINST USC HAS BEEN MOVED TO SATURDAY, thought I'd start the thread now.

"
BOULDER — Due to inclement weather, the University of Colorado lacrosse game against Southern California, which was originally scheduled for Friday, March 15, has been rescheduled for Saturday, March 16, at 11 a.m. at Kittredge Field.

As always, admission is free, as is parking in lot 416.

The game against Arizona State will still be played on Sunday, March 17, at 1 p.m.
"

Media links -

Games notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2019/3/14//2019_Lacrosse_Notes_3_14.pdf

Live stats
(Both games) - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wlax/summary

Live video :

Vs. USC (Saturday, 11:00 AM MT) -
https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Vs. ASU (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT) - Game is being shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to that Pac 12 channel, believe the game can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-lacrosse/event/2019/03/17/arizona-state-colorado .

Last edited:
Preview article now up-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/3/14/...st-southern-california-and-arizona-state.aspx

"
BOULDER — The No. 23 University of Colorado lacrosse team opens up a four-game homestand at Kittredge Field this weekend with a pair of Pac-12 Conference games against Southern California and Arizona State.

The Buffs will start the weekend on Saturday, March 16, against Southern California. That game is set for an 11 a.m. start. Then on Sunday, March 17, the Buffs play host to Arizona State in a contest that is slated for 1 p.m.

HOW TO WATCH: The game on Saturday will be streamed on Pac-12 Plus, while Sunday will be broadcast on Pac-12 Networks. Live stats, as well as the link to Saturday's free stream, are available at https://buffs.me/2V9U0pu.

GAME PROMOTIONS: As usual, there are some fun promotions planned for this weekend.
On March 16 vs. USC, CU lacrosse rally towels will be handed out to fans. Then on March 17 vs. ASU, fans can tie-dye a 'Kiss Me I'm A Buff' white t-shirt. Fans are also encouraged to bring their dogs and there will be a CU dog leash and treat giveaway.

ABOUT THE TROJANS: USC has put together a 6-1 start this year and is currently ranked 22nd in the IWLCA poll. The Trojans have won three in a row after dropping a 12-9 decision to top-ranked Boston College in Boston. After that loss, USC defeated Boston University (16-11), Arizona State (15-3) and then-No. 24 Virginia Tech (13-11).

ABOUT THE SUN DEVILS: Arizona State is currently 2-3 overall and is 0-1 in the Pac-12 after falling to USC last weekend.

UP NEXT: The Buffs stay at home for a contest against Oregon on March 23, which will finish the first half of Pac-12 play. That game is scheduled for a 1 p.m. start.
"

A little over 3 hours until the opening draw in a big game against the trojans. Hope some locally-based Allbuffians can make it out there.

A win today would put our Buffs fully in control of the Pac-12 since we already have a Stanford win banked.

As has happened quite a bit so far this season, the Buffs are off to a slow start and take a timeout down 0-4 with around 19 minutes left in the 1st half.

6-4 at the half. Tough very end to the half as the Buffs scored with around 18 seconds left, but then got sloppy and gave up an easy goal off the draw in 9 seconds and almost gave up another one that thankfully the goalie saved right before the half ended. Still obviously good overall the team has got the trojan lead down to a reasonable level for a comeback 2nd half.

The Buffs take a timeout with both teams committing a few turnovers already this half due to tough defense and usc with the only goal in the 1st 10 minutes of the 2nd half.

Buffs down 4-7.

I think I need to take off, so no more updates from me.

Buffs down 5-10 with around 8 minutes left, so it will take a wild rally for the Buffs to come back.

Looks like, as might be expected, the Buffs have come out strong today, and are comfortably up over ASU (which is only in its 2nd season as a D1 program).

Article and various other things on today's win.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2019/3/17/...inates-in-15-3-win-against-arizona-state.aspx

"
Game Recap: Lacrosse | March 17, 2019 | Linda Sprouse, Associate SID

BOULDER – Senior Miranda Stinson recorded six goals on Sunday afternoon as the Buffs powered past Arizona State, 15-3, to record their first home win of the season here at Kittredge Field.

"It feels good; we are excited," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "Obviously, we have had a tough road here, as we haven't played very well. We did not have a great game yesterday, so obviously to get the win is exciting for us, it is a win we need, and it's a conference win so it helps us out in the long run."

The Buffs are back to .500 with a 4-4 record and own a 3-1 make in Pac-12 Conference play. The Sun Devils conversely are 3-4 overall (1-2 Pac-12).

WHAT HAPPENED: The Colorado did not waste any time, scoring the first marker of the contest with Sadie Grozier goal just 48 seconds into the game. Stinson added another goal a minute later. The Buffs made it 3-0 with a goal from Sophie Castillo off the feed from Stinson at 20:17.

KEY STATISTIC: The Buffs dominated in just about every statistical category, but the biggest area of improvement came in the draw controls, which CU led 15-4. CU was also perfect on clear attempts (16-16), while ASU converted at .750 (15-20).

NOTABLE:
  • Samantha Nemirov extended her points-streak to 28 games, which is the second longest streak in CU history.
  • Kate Burnside and Blair Sisk each recorded their first goals in the game.
  • For the second time in three games, Miranda Stinson scored six goals in a half, which is a school record.
  • The win is the first home victory for the Buffs this season.

UP NEXT: Colorado continue its homestand against Oregon on Saturday, March 23.

QUOTEABLE:
Head Coach Ann Elliott Whidden
On winning their first home game
It feels good; we are excited. Obviously, we have had a tough road here, as we haven't played very well. We didn't have a great game yesterday so obviously to get the win is exciting for us, it's a win we need, and it's a conference win so it helps us out in the long run.

On defense performance in the second half
I thought defensively we did a little bit better of a job. At the end-of-the-day, we have to keep getting better though. We are making some of the same mistakes in transition and low defense, we have got to do a better job finishing plays. So, I think a good effort today but in the long run, we need to get better, and we have got to get better this week.

On moving the ball – quick passing and little turnovers
Offensively, we did a little bit better of a job going up against Arizona State. I thought we dodged well and hard but, we still have to get better. We are still making some of the same mistakes, we didn't have a great second half and our focus really going into the second half was having a better half than the first and playing like it was 0-0 and I don't think we did a good job at that. At the end of the day, it's a good bounce back and a win for us and I think some of our players that needed to respond responded well and now we just have to get everybody on that page.

On focus in practice looking ahead to Oregon
I think getting better, as I said we are making a lot of the same mistakes and we are a younger team. But we are halfway through the season, so we are not young. So, it's not an excuse to be doing the same things we did at the beginning of February, the same things we did yesterday, we got to get better and grow. If this team wants to be a team that's playing late into the Pac-12 tournament and trying to play in the NCAA tournament, we are not there yet. I think for us, it's getting better and not going backward, and we went backward yesterday. We went a little forward today, but we cannot afford to go backward anymore.

On Miranda Stinson
I think yesterday's game wasn't good and it wasn't a good effort by our team. We didn't play with confidence, we didn't play hard and I think for our leadership we didn't lead on the field, I think that was made clear to them. A player like Miranda wants to know what she can do better, how to be better and I think she responded today. I think her heart and her head is in the right place, I think for her it's understanding in all situations what you can do and that you can always do more and what leadership wise that looks like. When you're playing with a younger team and with people that maybe are stepping out a little bit nervous, and out of their comfort zone at times and how to get a team going. At the end of the day as well as Miranda played today, and she played great against Cal, she can't do it herself and we can't rely on her to do it herself. We have to grow as leaders and that's a challenge I think for her and all of these captains, I thought she responded today but I think we have to do a better job at responding this week as a whole.
"
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wlax&id=12769

Pac 12 recap/ highlights -

Interview with Miranda Stinson -

a lot better game. The ASU goalie had a heck of a game. I think she had 20 saves. To me the biggest thing was draw control. CU dominated it and kept control of the game. They have some work to do on defense ASU hit them with the same play for easy goals early in the game. Two more big games this week with Oregon and Denver.

Back