What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S bball hosts USC (Thurs., 2/23/23, 7:00 MT; ESPN2) and #3/4 UCLA (Sunday, 2:00 PM MT, CBS)

don’t drag LOB like that. he probably shouldn’t be starting on a typical Tad team but he is for sure a Pac 12 rotation guy. he’s gonna be a difference maker off the bench next year, major glue guy
Honestly, he could give us 10 and 7 a night right now. Solid three point shooter after his horrid start to the season. Very athletic. High energy.

You'd have to be a real moron to watch him and think he's not at the very least a solid rotation guy for any P5 team.

You’re an absolute ****ing moron if you think coaching is a big issue in this game. CU is simply overmatched, and USC is laughably out-talenting CU. Its absolute garbage to recruit non-PAC 12 caliber players, like the two Ivy’s, Hammond, LOB, etc. In fact, other than KJ and da Silva, this team is pitifully untalented for a PAC 12 program.
Do not lump LOB in to that group. Guy has been giving nightly double doubles (close to) for a while now. Better shooter and athlete than Hadley, and most people love him.

Thought it would be "fun" to see 3pt% this season vs last season for our roster.

Hammond: 32.3% (current) / 41.5% (previous)
Clifford: 28.3% / 40.0%
O'Brien: 29.3% / 46.2%
Wright: 30.4% / 39.5%
Hadley: 0.0% / 35.4% (took about 2/game)
Gabbidon: 25.0% / 29.9% (other seasons 35%)
Simpson: 28.6% / 25.4%
Da Silva: 41.4% / 37.3%

We are an awful shooting team and I don't think anyone could have seen that coming. Entering this season, my only outside shooting concern was whether KJ could keep a defense honest. I'm shocked at how bad the regression was.

Maybe Jabari and Evan spaced the court so much by both being able to shoot & post up that some of those previous season numbers were fool's gold, but that doesn't explain all of it because it's also true of the guys who weren't on the team last year.

Probably as simple as shooting is contagious, good or bad, and for some reason (toughness? focus? leadership?) this team never pulled itself out of its shooting slump.

Also, Javon Ruffin at 35.8% is the only guy on the team other than TDS who has delivered a winning number on 3%. It's unreal how bad it is. And while I've been hard on TDS for his quiet games, I also appreciate the type of player he is. Kind of the Jokic approach to the game. It's damn hard to play to flow successfully when none of your teammates can knock down a shot. He's not wired to force things and be a volume shooter like he's had to be on this team.

Also, Javon Ruffin at 35.8% is the only guy on the team other than TDS who has delivered a winning number on 3%. It's unreal how bad it is. And while I've been hard on TDS for his quiet games, I also appreciate the type of player he is. Kind of the Jokic approach to the game. It's damn hard to play to flow successfully when none of your teammates can knock down a shot. He's not wired to force things and be a volume shooter like he's had to be on this team.
Where do we rank nationally in 3 point shooting?

Thought it would be "fun" to see 3pt% this season vs last season for our roster.

Hammond: 32.3% (current) / 41.5% (previous)
Clifford: 28.3% / 40.0%
O'Brien: 29.3% / 46.2%
Wright: 30.4% / 39.5%
Hadley: 0.0% / 35.4% (took about 2/game)
Gabbidon: 25.0% / 29.9% (other seasons 35%)
Simpson: 28.6% / 25.4%
Da Silva: 41.4% / 37.3%

We are an awful shooting team and I don't think anyone could have seen that coming. Entering this season, my only outside shooting concern was whether KJ could keep a defense honest. I'm shocked at how bad the regression was.

Maybe Jabari and Evan spaced the court so much by both being able to shoot & post up that some of those previous season numbers were fool's gold, but that doesn't explain all of it because it's also true of the guys who weren't on the team last year.

Probably as simple as shooting is contagious, good or bad, and for some reason (toughness? focus? leadership?) this team never pulled itself out of its shooting slump.
For anyone wondering how bad these numbers are...

Andre Roberson was a 35% shooter from 3 in college

Tyler Bey shot 40% as a junior

Wes Gordon shot 35% for his career

Jaron Hopkins shot 32% at CU

NO ONE would consider them good shooters, but they'd be better options than all but two of our players right now.

I get that you love timeouts.

I don't mind them, but it's definitely a matter of "feel" for a coach and not something that is backed by statistics as being helpful. Data actually leans toward it hurting more than helping if you call a timeout to stop a run or halt momentum.

You post 2 links that end up at the same analysis, done on NBA games.

Oh, and some Jack wagons senior thesis where he comes up with the amazing theory that "all runs come to an end, eventually"

"suggests that there is some evidence that teams calling timeout after a "run" of 6-0 will tend to have a better scoring ratio over the short term, but that runs tended to stop whether a timeout was called or not."

Deep insight

Many research

Such prove

Again, tell me what good the two timeouts we took into the locker room after getting butt****ed at home did for us, and how we needed to save them for the right time.

gotta have lovering out there with him to keep the D spacing in check

goddamn Ellis is keeping the Buffs at bay
Sure, whatever, how about the time that LL spent a moment telling QA what to do and in the meantime, his guy drove the lane and dunked on him. But he is such a great defender :rolleyes: . LL is the disaster. He turned and shot for the first time ever and it was a garage door brick.
Honestly, we could never make a comeback from 10 or more points with LL in the game. Just bogs everything down.

Sure, whatever, how about the time that LL spent a moment telling QA what to do and in the meantime, his guy drove the lane and dunked on him. But he is such a great defender :rolleyes: . LL is the disaster. He turned and shot for the first time ever and it was a garage door brick.
Honestly, we could never make a comeback from 10 or more points with LL in the game. Just bogs everything down.
I'm pretty sure the defensive metrics back up the take that LL is an outstanding defender. Someone on here who knows where to look for that stuff should chime in.

Tough season. We probably need to encourage a handful of guys to move on and grab a transfer or two to round out this class.

But a coach cant just take a scholarship away for no reason though,right? So Tad would have to consult with player and explain he's likely to be an end of bench player. From all accounts, coach and players say the players allreally like each other, so no disgruntled guys who want to leave probably.

i was really frustrated when tad subbed in LL for LOB after they made a small run. Leave in that lineup and let them run with the momentum they've created

But a coach cant just take a scholarship away for no reason though,right? So Tad would have to consult with player and explain he's likely to be an end of bench player. From all accounts, coach and players say the players allreally like each other, so no disgruntled guys who want to leave probably.
yes and no.
He can't pull a scholarship, but he can kick them off the team.
If a players wants to stay at CU he will have his school paid for, but can't be a part of the team and Tad would have that schoolarhip available for another player.
Most self respecting players will decide to transfer and let CU off the hook, but there's always the possiobility that CU would get stuck paying for an extra player.

Hoping to see more minutes from Quincy Allen the remainder of the year.2-8 of shooting, 1 assist and 4 blocked shots in 16 minutes in his first real college minutes. He definitely seemed to bring some good energy last night when everyone was shooting poorly.

Be real nice to still have Barthelemy huh?

Some here tried to say Hammond was better than him 🤦

Tad ran-off Barthelemy who was an excellent athlete and good scorer. Never mind CU is severely talent deficient. Worse yet, I get to see more minutes from Hammond who is atrocious and clearly not a PAC 12 caliber player.

Preview for tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/2/25/mens-basketball-colorado-hosts-no-4-3-ucla-sunday.aspx

"

Colorado Hosts No. 4/3 UCLA Sunday​

THE SEASON: Colorado is 15-14 overall and ninth in the Pac-12 Conference at 7-11 after falling to USC, 84-65, at the CU Events Center on Feb. 23. The loss snapped a three-game home win streak and means the Buffaloes will finish sub-.500 in league play for the first time since the 2017-18 team was 8-10. The 11 league losses tie for the most in the Tad Boyle era (7-11 in 2014-15).

Last week, Colorado picked up a road split in the desert. The Buffaloes began with a 67-59 win at Arizona State, 67-59, on Feb. 16 before falling to No. 8 (AP & Coaches) ranked Arizona, 78-68, on Feb. 18.

The win over Arizona State snapped a six-game road losing streak, the Buffaloes' longest since the 2018 calendar year (five games in 2017-18, one in 2018-19). Colorado completed the road portion of its regular season schedule with a 2-8 record in Pac-12 play, 2-9 overall.

ABOUT THE BRUINS: No. 4/3 (AP/Coaches) UCLA is 24-4 overall and leads the Pac-12 at 15-2. The Bruins have won seven straight including a 78-71 decision at Utah on Feb. 23. UCLA averages 74.2 points per game while shooting 46.6 percent from the field. Defensively, UCLA allows a league-low 59.8 points per game. The Bruins also top the Pac-12 in steals (8.6 spg), offensive rebounds (11.8 orpg) and turnover margin (+6.1).

Senior Jaime Jaquez, Jr., leads UCLA at 17.0 points and 8.1 rebounds per game while shooting 49 percent from the field. Jaylen Clark averages 13.1 points and leads the Pac-12 in steals at 2.6 per game. Tyger Campbell averages 12.4 points and is fourth in the Pac-12 in assists at 4.8 per game. Amari Bailey averages 10.1 points while shooting 48.9 percent from the field.

SERIES RECORDS: This will be the 25th meeting between Colorado and UCLA with the Bruins holding a 17-7 advantage. UCLA won this season's first meeting, 68-54 in Los Angeles on Jan. 14, and has won
six of the last seven overall. The series is tied at 5-5 in Boulder.
"
____________________________________________________________________________________________

I am looking forward to seeing QA play more the rest of the season.

“It all comes down to practice. What happens at practice. That’s the one thing that people don’t see,” Boyle said. “He did some really good things the other night (against USC), but (Saturday’s) practice, he struggled. But he’s going to play because we’re down to eight dudes. That’s a good thing for Quincy. Hopefully he makes the most of it and can learn and grow.

“But any time your team’s not having success and playing inconsistently, you can always second-guess your decisions. Certainly the fans can second-guess it. Players can second-guess it. You just go with the guys who, in practice day in and day out, give you what you’re looking for. It’s not a knock. It’s just the reality of what I see every single day at practice.”

Tad was extremely defeated in the post game tonight. He said that he could tell this team was not responding to him and his voice was not being heard. I haven't heard him sound like that in a very long time.
A couple of weeks ago, I posted Tad's post-game comments, in which he said, this was the least talkative group he's ever had. they just don't express themselves freely.

I like Lawson, but I have to share this. I just watched him miss 5 in a row and 7/8 from literally 2 feet away on the block during warm ups. Nobody near him of course. I wish I was kidding, but I’m not.

I’m looking forward to this one. Nothing to lose against the #4 team in the country on CBS. Let’s go!

Tad on KOA, repeated his comments on a lack of communication, players tuning him out. Says when a team is in the situation the Buffs are, 1 player, or a small group of players, has to stand up and confront the team and get some changes going. He says, 'it gets a little thin', when the coach is the one saying it. Says no one on this team has stepped up.

Of course the Michigan Wisconsin game is going into OT. This always happens to the buffs. Game will likely be over by the time I get to see any of it.

Back