What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- WBB hosts Florida Atlantic (Wed., 7:00 PM) and #24 Miami (of Florida, Sat., 1:00)

I'll take that win but we have 81 turnovers in 4 games and 2 of those games were vs non power 5 schools. We have to take care of the ball better. You would think we would since we are playing small ball. Anyway, good 3-1 start.

I'll take that win but we have 81 turnovers in 4 games and 2 of those games were vs non power 5 schools. We have to take care of the ball better. You would think we would since we are playing small ball. Anyway, good 3-1 start.
I agree that turnover stat is a problem. I am also going to assume wbb is the same as mbb in the that the difference between P5 and G5 is not the same as in football. There are some damn good G5 MBB programs that are way better than some of their P5 peers.

This might not hold hold for WBB, but definitely true of MBB.

IMO, it holds.

Lexi didn't start but played in the second half. Q got hurt and didn't play in the second half. Yes, turnovers need to be lower and the team needs to shoot free throws better.

I keep telling myself this team is still figuring out how to play against with each other. Knight, Bunn and Jank have never played DI basketball previous to this season and they are all performing well. Not error free, but well.

This was a big win in many ways.

Most importantly with so many new faces is buy-in.

Listen to coaches & put the work in because you just proved you’re capable of going to the Dance and winning a game.

This was a big win in many ways.

Most importantly with so many new faces is buy-in.

Listen to coaches & put the work in because you just proved you’re capable of going to the Dance and winning a game.

It looks from afar that the players are buying in. We all know that has to happen if a team is going to win. Beating a #24 ranked team will give the players confidence. Having Lexi back does the same thing. The hard work the team is putting in will pay off.

Yes, they need to work on turnovers. However, they are rebounding much better than Buff teams of the past. They are also making baskets in the paint which has also been a problem. The lack of rebounding and baskets in the paint in the past has made it easy for teams to key on Kennedy and Lexi. Can't do that as much now or Jank, Knight and Bunn will beat you

It looks from afar that the players are buying in. We all know that has to happen if a team is going to win. Beating a #24 ranked team will give the players confidence. Having Lexi back does the same thing. The hard work the team is putting in will pay off.

Yes, they need to work on turnovers. However, they are rebounding much better than Buff teams of the past. They are also making baskets in the paint which has also been a problem. The lack of rebounding and baskets in the paint in the past has made it easy for teams to key on Kennedy and Lexi. Can't do that as much now or Jank, Knight and Bunn will beat you

I feel much better about this team than last year. My biggest problem is the turnovers. There is nothing that bothers me more than turnovers. Well, giving up offensive rebounds is up there too. I'm not saying non-power 5 teams aren't good but the two we played weren't exactly so athletic that they were forcing turnovers. Miami had athletes but half our turnovers were just carelessness.

Regardless, with Kennedy and Lexi off to slow shooting starts, I'm very happy at 3-1. They will come around and knight/Jank/Bunn will keep getting better. It's going to be a fun season.

This afternoon was my first opportunity to see the team in person. Coming into the game I felt the Buffs had a shot at winning, but there were three concerns - half court defense (especially after watching bit of the FAU game on the computer), turnovers and Lexi's health.

What the Buffs did on defense today was tremendous. They played a trapping 2-3 zone that never really let up. Every time the ball went to the wing CU was able to trap the Miami player and from then on it was difficult for the Hurricanes to run their offense. In terms of both style and results, it reminded me of the win last season over Kentucky.

Adding to the focused defense was the rebounding, especially in the defensive end. Miami seemed to have very few second chances.

Clearly the Buffs have more scoring options this season than last which I believe will give them a shot at finishing higher than predicted in the conference. No longer does it have to be the Kennedy and Alexis show to get points. Brecca Thomas had a tremendous second half on the offensive end as did Annika Jank. Jank's contribution were primarily in the third quarter where she was virtually unstoppable. If I didn't know she was a freshman I would have guessed she was at least s junior with her poise and confidence. She has broad strong shoulders and isn't afraid to attacking the basket in a physical fashion.

Brecca has become an expert at finding little gaps in the defense and getting off her shot. These last two games she has been a difference maker.

Janea Bunn is going to be a force as well. She is very athletic for a 6-3 player. Today she had three blocks that were not just blocks, but full on erasers - right back down into the shooter's face. I'm not sure why she doesn't get more playing time.

Aubrey Knight has a nose for the ball which makes her a valuable rebounder.

Kennedy couldn't hit the broad side of the barn from the field today, but she ended up with 11 points, 8 assists, and 5 steals.

It was great to see Alexis back - she only played in the second half when Quinessa came out with her wrist injury. Hope she will be okay.

May Hollingshed's athleticism is ahead of her basketball acumen. Over time she'll get there, but it's gonna be a rough ride for a while.

As for the high volume of turnovers, I figure it will continue for a while this season. There are four newcomers getting serious playing time, and the Buffs are aggressive. This afternoon the turnovers came for a variety of reasons - offensive fouls, illegal screens, butter fingers, ill-advised passes, etc.

Great win for this team.

Carol Callan noted several times on the radio broadcast that the officials were calling illegal screens on both teams, so both teams needed to adjust to the call.

I went absolutely ballistic multiple times this afternoon due to poor decisions that led to turnovers. Sorry to those sitting around me.

I about lost it on the backcourt violation. That was just lackadaisical by Kennedy. Thankfully I was alone watching it on my computer. Again, it's early in the season and we will get better. This is an improved team. The 2019 class is huge for this program.

Carol Callan noted several times on the radio broadcast that the officials were calling illegal screens on both teams, so both teams needed to adjust to the call.

A bit harder for a young team to adjust to the calls during game, no? I'd like to think this is an area where they'll learn and grow.

I about lost it on the backcourt violation. That was just lackadaisical by Kennedy. Thankfully I was alone watching it on my computer. Again, it's early in the season and we will get better. This is an improved team. The 2019 class is huge for this program.
I did lose it on that one. AND I was at the game so a lot of people heard me.

That particular turnover should never have happened. It was not caused by the other team.

Forgot to mention a couple of observations, etc., after watching the Miami game.
• Kennedy gets fouled more often than gets called by the officials
• One or two of the trio of Peyton Carter, Sara Castro and Jaimie Curtis should be candidates for a redshirt season. Doubt any of them will get serious playing time barring injuries to others.

Kennedy does get fouled a lot.

Have no idea of JR's plan for Carter, Castro or Curtis, but JR did have Curtis ready to check in at North Carolina to play defense at the very end of the game. There was a question about the clock and the officials declared regulation had ended so Curtis went back to the bench.

Kennedy does get fouled a lot.

Have no idea of JR's plan for Carter, Castro or Curtis, but JR did have Curtis ready to check in at North Carolina to play defense at the very end of the game. There was a question about the clock and the officials declared regulation had ended so Curtis went back to the bench.

I think she was going to guard the person taking out the ball for UNC. I don't think any of them will redshirt IMO. Curtis will probably take Correal's minutes next year. Bunn will get the majority of the post minutes and we will go small a lot with Jank playing post too I think.

I don't know how a redshirt would work for Peyton since she is a preferred walk on. She is on scholarship this year and, according to the Daily Camera, her senior year. She could still earn a scholarship for her other two seasons.

I think this team will need to go small with the players we have.

Forgot to mention a couple of observations, etc., after watching the Miami game.
• Kennedy gets fouled more often than gets called by the officials
One or two of the trio of Peyton Carter, Sara Castro and Jaimie Curtis should be candidates for a redshirt season. Doubt any of them will get serious playing time barring injuries to others.
Not happening as all 3 played in the Mississippi Valley State game today

Not happening as all 3 played in the Mississippi Valley State game today

It is rare to redshirt I think in wbb without injuries. If the players are just role players, you want them to get thru the program in 4. If they are very good then play them. The only scenario I can think of not health related is a very skinny and weak post lifting and eating for a year.

Back