What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Good article in the Post today about High School sports in Colorado

No. It's not a sh*tty school. It does have a high percentage of hispanic students, though. Probably about 35% of the total enrollment (my guess, not from any official publication). That bothers a lot of people. One thing Skyline has going for it that is pretty cool is their STEM program (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math). They have an agreement with CU that if you successfully complete the STEM program at Skyline, you're automatically accepted into the CU Engineering School.

I guess that explains why Skyline football history isn't that great compared to LHS.

http://www.chsaa.org/sports/football/pdf/2011Football/5AProposals.pdf

Boulder has 1,788 students and Fairview has 2,062 students. To be able to be 4A, both schools have to go below 1,610 students.

Those numbers are different from the ones I saw before, which had both schools right around 1,700 students. Not that it matters. The fact remains, both schools are smaller today than they were 10 years ago, and 10 years before that. They're shrinking. No need to build a new high school in Boulder. They'll break through that 1,610 barrier in the next 5-6 years.

edit: According to the School district website, BHS has 1,764 students, Fairview 1,900. I suspect the CHSAA numbers are dated.

Last edited:
Like I said above, this will just force schools to severely limit open enrollment.

No it will not. First of all open enrollment came about because of guaranteeing equal access to education and equity in education - this is a hotly litigated area and there is a major lawsuit in the Colorado courts right now - so districts are very careful in regards to this. Second, open enrollment is managed at the school district level not the school level and I will guarantee you that no district is going to look cap open enrollment just for FB classification. Every district in the state is scrambling for money and that count submitted on October 1 is crucial for state funding. Third, there is not a regular HS in the metro area that is capped for Open Enrollment (maybe a couple of charter schools). The model for HS and declining numbers leaves them with a lot of flexibility for accepting additional students.

No it will not. First of all open enrollment came about because of guaranteeing equal access to education and equity in education - this is a hotly litigated area and there is a major lawsuit in the Colorado courts right now - so districts are very careful in regards to this. Second, open enrollment is managed at the school district level not the school level and I will guarantee you that no district is going to look cap open enrollment just for FB classification. Every district in the state is scrambling for money and that count submitted on October 1 is crucial for state funding. Third, there is not a regular HS in the metro area that is capped for Open Enrollment (maybe a couple of charter schools). The model for HS and declining numbers leaves them with a lot of flexibility for accepting additional students.
I've been told by more than 1 high school administrator that it is already happening.

Those numbers are different from the ones I saw before, which had both schools right around 1,700 students. Not that it matters. The fact remains, both schools are smaller today than they were 10 years ago, and 10 years before that. They're shrinking. No need to build a new high school in Boulder. They'll break through that 1,610 barrier in the next 5-6 years.

edit: According to the School district website, BHS has 1,764 students, Fairview 1,900. I suspect the CHSAA numbers are dated.

Fairview had its largest freshman class in a long time last year so I don't think they are shrinking. Also they aren't a bunch of pussies and aren't dropping down a class. They regularly make deep playoff runs and win championships in all sports. Including a final 4 run in football in 2010. I just don't understand why they don't make a rule that if private schools want to play chsaa sports they aren't allowed to recruit or give scholarships. Seems simple to me.

Size to the school is not what is affecting them, it is a decline in general interest among the populace. I do not know how to put it into words but a lot of the newer schools and private school have a higher energy and sense of community about them. In the post article, they talked about Lincoln having over 2000s student but only 68 involved in Athletics...they tells me there is not much hype around the athletic programs. Whereas some of the private schools create a community around the sports programs. I know at Mullen you are expected to volunteer a certain amount of time regardless of your financial status...so you see a lot of parents involved with programs at the schools. You see this around newer schools where the population has younger family demographics. Lets face it - City of Boulder is aging except for the University.

I've been told by more than 1 high school administrator that it is already happening.

Lets consider the math. There is only 1 4A school that is close to the 5A cut off, Loveland. After that the closest school is about 55 kids under the number. Let's say the school purposefully capped the enrollment to stay at that number. At roughly $6500 per student that decision cost the district roughly $357,000. It also probably cost the school 1.5-2 teachers based on a typically staffed high school.

I would say you are probably doing the right thing by not using this administrators name.

Fairview had its largest freshman class in a long time last year so I don't think they are shrinking. Also they aren't a bunch of pussies and aren't dropping down a class. They regularly make deep playoff runs and win championships in all sports. Including a final 4 run in football in 2010. I just don't understand why they don't make a rule that if private schools want to play chsaa sports they aren't allowed to recruit or give scholarships. Seems simple to me.

Almost every private school has a scholarship fund. These funds are used to give opportunities for less fortunate families and it has nothing to do with athletics...it is part of their mission in most cases. CHSAA tried something like that they would have some major lawsuits within minutes. The recruiting issue is a little overblown because of the Valor Christian article - an Valore is an outlier. Most of the time families approach the school instead of the school recruiting the players. For years families wanted to live in the Cherry Creek School district which contributed to their success. If you had a child that appeared to have some athletic ability and wanted them to have every opportunity at the next level you would maybe look for a school that would give them that opportunity and a solid education at the same time.

Lost in all this is the fact that Columbine Won the 5A state title this year - something it has done in the past. Columbine is a public school and is very competitive on the playing field. Why can't other public schools do the same thing ( I actually think many of them do).

Almost every private school has a scholarship fund. These funds are used to give opportunities for less fortunate families and it has nothing to do with athletics...it is part of their mission in most cases. CHSAA tried something like that they would have some major lawsuits within minutes. The recruiting issue is a little overblown because of the Valor Christian article - an Valore is an outlier. Most of the time families approach the school instead of the school recruiting the players. For years families wanted to live in the Cherry Creek School district which contributed to their success. If you had a child that appeared to have some athletic ability and wanted them to have every opportunity at the next level you would maybe look for a school that would give them that opportunity and a solid education at the same time.

Lost in all this is the fact that Columbine Won the 5A state title this year - something it has done in the past. Columbine is a public school and is very competitive on the playing field. Why can't other public schools do the same thing ( I actually think many of them do).
Just for what its worth since 1995 Mullen has won 5 state championships. Columbine has also won 5 state championships.

Size to the school is not what is affecting them, it is a decline in general interest among the populace. I do not know how to put it into words but a lot of the newer schools and private school have a higher energy and sense of community about them. In the post article, they talked about Lincoln having over 2000s student but only 68 involved in Athletics...they tells me there is not much hype around the athletic programs. Whereas some of the private schools create a community around the sports programs. I know at Mullen you are expected to volunteer a certain amount of time regardless of your financial status...so you see a lot of parents involved with programs at the schools. You see this around newer schools where the population has younger family demographics. Lets face it - City of Boulder is aging except for the University.

This quote touches upon one of the most fundamental dynamics in our culture, society. As long as I have been in Longmont, the more affluent in our town have sent their kids to St. John's, a private, Catholic grade school. Many of those families were not remotely Catholic. There was a perception that the small, religious school would instill the values and discipline the parents wanted for their kids. This is an admirable quest. The problem for this parochial school graduate is that the values and discipline so desired really don't come from the school, at least the majority. These things COME FROM THE HOME, THE PARENTS. And you know what? The fact that people send their kids to Valor, or St. John's or wherever... this is a way for people to pass on the work and the community as you say in your quote to the other so the parents are free to do....whatever. I have seen this dynamic for years. My wife, a recently retired teacher will verify, as will many other teachers. And for that matter, folks that are solid parents that regard their main role to raise their children, not the schools, the coaches or the teachers.

This quote touches upon one of the most fundamental dynamics in our culture, society. As long as I have been in Longmont, the more affluent in our town have sent their kids to St. John's, a private, Catholic grade school. Many of those families were not remotely Catholic. There was a perception that the small, religious school would instill the values and discipline the parents wanted for their kids. This is an admirable quest. The problem for this parochial school graduate is that the values and discipline so desired really don't come from the school, at least the majority. These things COME FROM THE HOME, THE PARENTS. And you know what? The fact that people send their kids to Valor, or St. John's or wherever... this is a way for people to pass on the work and the community as you say in your quote to the other so the parents are free to do....whatever. I have seen this dynamic for years. My wife, a recently retired teacher will verify, as will many other teachers. And for that matter, folks that are solid parents that regard their main role to raise their children, not the schools, the coaches or the teachers.

I will give you a different twist...First, I sent all of my children to private school - my wife and I made a lot of sacrifices to make that happen. Second, I think you have it backwards...I did NOT send my children to private school to instill the values and discipline (this is where I disagree with you) - I sent my children to private school because their values and discipline mirrored what was being taught in our home. I think most parents that make that decision are doing it for the same reason as I did - it was not to abdicate a responsibility it was to help ensure the success of what we were trying to accomplish.

I did not understand your "....so the parents are free to do....whatever..." statement.

Back